PDA

View Full Version : Lakota Guitar Straps

Ole Joe Clark
Dec-01-2014, 8:03am
Does anyone have experience with these straps? They look wonderful, and they are 10 bucks off right now.

Joe

pheffernan
Dec-01-2014, 8:05am
There are a couple of good threads in the archives: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?searchid=5542740

Ole Joe Clark
Dec-01-2014, 8:17am
When I clicked on the link supplied I got a message that nothing was found.

Thanks,

Joe

Found the information, Thanks so much.

multidon
Dec-01-2014, 8:34am
I used to have one of the braided elk ones. Gave it away as a bonus when I sold an instrument. Wish I had kept it. It had sort of a springiness to it and very soft but seemed strong too. Wish I had kept it. I have one of the solid bison ones now. The leather is cut too thick to fit all the way into my Kentucky scroll but I like it for my Breedlove with the hook scroll.

yankees1
Dec-01-2014, 8:40am
Look at Bill Bailey straps !

bigskygirl
Dec-01-2014, 10:36am
I have a couple of the braided and leather ones for my mando and guitars. I love them, very soft and they look really nice. The only issue I had with the braided and it's not a biggie was that it sheds for awhile until it gets rubbed on your shoulder a bit. It leaves little tufts of material that just brushes off so the first few times you use it remember to brush off your shirt when your done. I got mine directly from Kenny (a great guy BTW) at Kaufman Kamp a few years ago and it was easy to spot who had bought one there......ha.

Denman John
Dec-01-2014, 12:06pm
As Yankee1 said, check out Bill Bailey's straps ~ Top notch in every aspect!

Paul Hird
Dec-01-2014, 12:54pm
I have two different Lakota Leather straps and love them.

DHopkins
Dec-01-2014, 10:05pm
I have two different Lakota Leather straps and love them.
What he said.

Rob Meyer
Dec-02-2014, 12:04am
Love the Lakota leather straps. The only type I use on all my instruments. Really easy to custom fit by adding extra holes or slots if you need to.

Ron McMillan
Dec-02-2014, 12:25am
I've never seen one in person, but they always look like premium products made from the best of materials. People sometimes spend more on a pick than these straps cost. I know where I'd rather put my money.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-02-2014, 3:16am
I've mentioned this place a couple of times on here - 'Leather Cord USA'. http://www.leathercordusa.com/
They have braided leather cords of all sizes & types (round or flat) & in many colours.With a bit of ingenuity,you could custom make your own premium grade leather strap. The only reason i haven't bought a length or 3,is that the postage to the UK is more than the leather cord costs = duty & tax on arrival in the UK,
Ivan

Mike Arakelian
Dec-02-2014, 12:28pm
I have a flat braided Lakota for my Eastman and love it. It is very soft and sits securely on my shoulder without slipping. I had planned to buy a round braided strap, but when I saw them side by side at IBMA, I chose the flat braided one instead. Just personal preference. They're all well made and look great!

godot
Dec-02-2014, 12:39pm
I sent one of their banjo straps back last week because it didn't fit my instrument and they cheerfully exchanged it with no questions asked. Seems like a good company to deal with.

Steve Ostrander
Dec-02-2014, 1:23pm
I have a round braided Lakota strap and I like it just fine. I think it's bison.

Tobin
Dec-02-2014, 1:57pm
I have somehow managed to accumulate 2 of the round-braided Lakota mandolin straps and 2 of the flat-braided ones, all of which are elk hide and very, very soft. They suit my needs very well. The flat-braided ones, for obvious reasons, have the most 'grab' and are the most comfortable. But I like the looks of the round-braided ones better. The round-braided straps use a narrower thong for the looped end, which is less obtrusive when looped around a scroll or peghead. And, for me, a round braid just suits the aesthetics and proportions of the mandolin better than a flat braid.

The softness of these straps is the best thing about them. I never worry about scratching the finish on my mandolin, and they are the most comfortable straps I've used. The downside to the soft elk hide is that it's a bit stretchy. So you may start off using one hole on the endpin and later have to adjust it to another hole as the strap stretches in. They generally have enough adjustment either way that it's not a problem. You may also find the hole stretching out around the endpin over time, so always be careful.

Be advised that not all the round-braided straps are the exact same length. When picking them out at a music store, I notice several inches of variation between them (it seems random). I don't see them marked differently for length, so I assume it's unintentional.

About the only complaint I have is that the stitching of the ends to the braided part is a bit crude. As you can see in the photo below of a flat-braided strap, the stitching isn't very refined looking. It's plenty strong, though, and that's what counts. I've often considered removing the original stitching and redoing it with my own simulated sinew for a more even stitch. But I'd rather spend my time playing the mandolin. :)

Honestly, I think the usual price of $50 is pretty steep, considering what's involved in making these. But at the end of the day, I pay it because (a) I don't want to do it myself, and (b) I don't mind supporting a small business owner who makes specialty products. If these are currently on sale around $40, I think it's a decent buy.