PDA

View Full Version : Deflection tuning

mandomaniac
Mar-01-2004, 9:19am
Well I managed to save pics of a deflection tuning jig that was posted a bit ago. Think Frenchguy requested Scott repost it...but now I can't seem to find the thread to check on some numbers. Wonder if anyone has pursued this issue and might have some reults to share....at least some 'range' of measurements that seemed successful. Particularly interested in the differences (if any) between treble post and bass post. Have been hard at work building sucha beast and now need starting points for reference. Thanks!! Tom

sunburst
Mar-01-2004, 9:52am
When (and if) I get around to building a jig to do this I think I'll check some mandolins that I like the sound of and use the measurements as a starting point. I might check the backs too and see if there seems to be any coorelation between top deflection, back deflection and sound.
If it's like most of the other investigations I've done, I wont find any obvious answeres.

mandomaniac
Mar-01-2004, 10:21am
My jig is designed to do top plates...could do backs as well. I suppose I could rig something up to check complete mando....checking unstrung and strung. Just tougher to support body firmly yet safely. Padded spacer ring might do the trick. Seems like Frenchguy had given numbers for tops in the thread...maybe he will chime in. Thanks! # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif