PDA

View Full Version : Got to see Mike Compton...

Ultra Turtle
Nov-27-2014, 1:26am
Went to a workshop and a show later that night. It was a John Hartford Tribute show: Mike Compton, Paul Brown, Tony Ellis, and Adam Schlenker (my guitar teacher). They all played individually solo sets. Never knew who Paul Brown and Tony Ellis were, but I am now a fan of both!!

Holy cow... what an amazing tone Mike has. I've heard it on recordings, but to hear it in person... it's UN-believable.

What a great musician and human being... He took the time to address any problems one on one that anyone had technique wise.

Hope to see and hear him again in the future. Anyone that hasn't seen him live definitely should!

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-27-2014, 3:20am
You didn't know of Tony Ellis ?. Well,maybe it's not so surprising.Despite the fact that Tony's one of the best all round banjo players,he's a pretty low profile guy. He's well know for his playing of a glorious tune called 'Stephen',a banjo tribute to his friend Stephen Wade. His recording ''Dixie Banner'' became a best seller going back a few years. I met him at the IBMA Festival in Owensboro in '92. The TV programme that aired on UK TV back in '90 "Echos of America" featured the tune "Stephen".It really made an impression on us UK 'banjer pickers'. At our Bluegrass festivals over here,you couldn't go to one without hearing somebody play it. I think it's one of the sweetest banjo tunes ever recorded & as 'banjoey' as you'd ever wish for - amazing !!.
I told this to Tony, & he was rather embarassed at having begun a banjo revolution. I did tell him i had his LP,but he insisted on giving me the cassette tape as well,
Ivan;)

http://youtu.be/cUzvIxwR4GM

Dave Hanson
Nov-27-2014, 4:19am
This is a wonderful tune Ivan and beautiful playing, it's played over the closing titles of ' Echoes of America ' a really great film which I now have on DVD

Dave H

3rdegree
Nov-27-2014, 8:27am
Looking forward to listening and learning from Mr. Compton at the Nashville Mando Camp in a couple months. I am a big fan of his style and sound as well... it's going to be be hard to choose who to spend time with between Roland White, Sierra Hull and Mike for a weekend!

Ultra Turtle
Nov-28-2014, 11:14am
You didn't know of Tony Ellis ?. Well,maybe it's not so surprising.Despite the fact that Tony's one of the best all round banjo players,he's a pretty low profile guy. He's well know for his playing of a glorious tune called 'Stephen',a banjo tribute to his friend Stephen Wade. His recording ''Dixie Banner'' became a best seller going back a few years. I met him at the IBMA Festival in Owensboro in '92. The TV programme that aired on UK TV back in '90 "Echos of America" featured the tune "Stephen".It really made an impression on us UK 'banjer pickers'. At our Bluegrass festivals over here,you couldn't go to one without hearing somebody play it. I think it's one of the sweetest banjo tunes ever recorded & as 'banjoey' as you'd ever wish for - amazing !!.
I told this to Tony, & he was rather embarassed at having begun a banjo revolution. I did tell him i had his LP,but he insisted on giving me the cassette tape as well,
Ivan;)

http://youtu.be/cUzvIxwR4GM

Nope, had no idea who he was. He played a few banjo tunes, and something on fiddle. Great player, and wonderful story teller. Turns out he lives in Chillicothe, Ohio... just 40 or 50 miles south of where the show was.

darylcrisp
Nov-28-2014, 4:08pm
thanks for this cool thread.

i enjoy learning about new players and these all sound neat. other than Mike(whom i dearly hope to see play in person and take classes from one day soon), all are new to me.

and i'm big on open back banjo.
d

Jim Garber
Feb-13-2015, 11:39am
I saw Mike Compton do a solo two sets at a house concert in New York City last night. He was wonderful both in musicianship and stage presence. Just him and two mandolins -- his Gilchrist in standard tuning and a borrowed snakehead crosstuned in open A.

Some wonderful stories, amazing mandolin playing on both Monroe stuff and on gospel and blues accompaniment. From what he said, this is what he developed for just playing solo. When he plays with others he reverts to a more single string technique. He can fill the room with the mandolin.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-13-2015, 11:55am
He can fill the room with the mandolin.

I've emptied a few.

Perry
Feb-13-2015, 12:39pm
I saw Mike Compton do a solo two sets at a house concert in New York City last night. He was wonderful both in musicianship and stage presence. Just him and two mandolins -- his Gilchrist in standard tuning and a borrowed snakehead crosstuned in open A.

Some wonderful stories, amazing mandolin playing on both Monroe stuff and on gospel and blues accompaniment. From what he said, this is what he developed for just playing solo. When he plays with others he reverts to a more single string technique. He can fill the room with the mandolin.

Wow had no idea Mike was in town.....sorry I missed it...

Pete Jenner
Feb-13-2015, 1:05pm
Here it is.

...and here he is a few years ago with a pagan mandolin.

OldSausage
Feb-13-2015, 4:40pm
He seems fond of it.

Jackgaryk
Feb-13-2015, 5:04pm
I have an old dvd with john Hartford and mike Compton picking together. "down from the mountain" after reading this thread I think i'll watch it again. it's been a while.

Jim Garber
Feb-13-2015, 10:08pm
Wow had no idea Mike was in town.....sorry I missed it...

At a house concert that my friend Jim runs. I emailed him as soon as i heard about it and got an eamil tghe next day that it was sold out and everyone else after that was on a wait list.

...and here he is a few years ago with a pagan mandolin.

I assume he knew he could not play any Gospel tunes on a Pagan mandolin. :)

Marty Jacobson
Feb-14-2015, 12:30am
Or maybe it was the cheese.

Pete Jenner
Feb-14-2015, 2:11pm
We were playing about a bit. He actually liked it.

Gary Flye
Feb-14-2015, 9:17pm
I saw Mike Compton and Joe Newberry at a house concert about a year ago. They are amazing, and well worth seeing in person. They are scheduled for a house concert in Charlotte, NC in a few months:

http://teagardenhouseconcerts.org

Spencer
Feb-15-2015, 11:09am
Mike was here in Copenhagen a few months back, and graciously joined our association's jam session. We all had a great time. He's coming back with Helen Highwater next month, I can hardly wait!!

Spencer