PDA

View Full Version : Lebeda anyone?

ohohman
Mar-29-2005, 9:51am
I see there are a couple of Lebeda manolins up on ebay. I have visited the Lebeda website. They look fine.
Has anyone heard or played one?
Any idea if the Lebeda's of five years ago compare well with the ones currently being produced?

quayhog
Mar-29-2005, 10:45am
I have an `03 Special Varnish F-5. Its the most playable mandolin I have ever played. Its opening up and the sound is blossoming. I have played 3 or 4 others and they were all very consistant and very good.

generankin
Mar-29-2005, 11:35am
I tried one (a two-pointer), along with some F and A Webers, and an A and an F Eastman. Bought the Eastman F (an 815), ranked the Eastman A second, the Lebeda 3rd.

Ken Sager
Mar-29-2005, 11:42am
I've played a couple belonging to others. Both less than 3 years old. Very nice craftsmanship (better than most), great tone & volume. I'd want to play it before I bought it, though, but that's just me.

Best,
Ken

MANDOLINMYSTER
Mar-29-2005, 11:51am
I think they are under-rated, I currently have one and it sounds and feels great, just a good as my colling A model. A true bargin in the F5 world.

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-29-2005, 12:27pm
If you are looking on the bay for an F5, also look at the 99 Flatiron Festival F. The seller is a known dealer and frequents the cafe. These Festival F's are a best buy among USA made F5's.

I've played a few Lebeda's over the past few years. They are nice instruments but they always feel small in the neck. YMMV, NFI.

ericwall
Mar-29-2005, 4:19pm
I had one for about 4 years and it was truly a fine instrument. Underrated to be sure. Fine craftsmanship, easy player, great volume. I traded it for a wonderful Brock F4 but will miss it alot.
Eric Wall

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-29-2005, 5:54pm
I think all of the eastern European luthier-made mandolins are underrated and more affordable than their North American (or Australian) counterparts. Lebeda, Prucha, and Krishot (aka Kristufek) especially are making some fine instruments. But you should always buy whatever makes your ears happy.

Best,
Daniel

mancmando
Mar-31-2005, 11:24am
I've got a lebeda F5 which I've had for a couple of years though it was made in 1997. I really like it, the tone/volume is great and it looks pretty cool......

That said, I haven't compared it to many American mandolins as there aren't that many over here in the UK (at least that I have seen), but it was the best of a bunch that I tried (mostly made in the Czech republic). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

MirekPatek
Apr-01-2005, 3:10am
In addition to Lebeda, Prucha, Krishot, and Capek,
check also
Ondra Holoubek
http://www.galleryofstrings.com/GOSline/HoloLine/HolouLine.html
and Vojta Peceny
http://tl.1984.cz/navrhy/vojtapeceny/english.html

Mirek
Prague, Czech Republic

mandroid
Apr-01-2005, 5:03pm
I got one off the classifieds, here, F5 style but with different (Montie) headstock and Tortoise bound block 3pc markers, singlemalt color,( liquor lacquer?). 'jazzica'
Neck as well as being longer is slimmer than the old A4 , and tapers less so it stays slim and comfy, to me atleast.

reindoggy
Apr-01-2005, 6:50pm
I've got a A Standard. She's nice. Very well built, pretty and with a sweet voice.

ohohman
Apr-02-2005, 11:51pm
Thank you all for your feedback. #After looking at everything within my range, I decided to bid for the Lebeda premium plus on ebay. #It seemed like the best bang for the buck. #I won it by a mere $5.00 in a last second bidding frenzy. #I hope to see it by Friday. It is great to have a resource like this as there is virtually no way I could be in the same room with a Lebeda here in Vancouver, Washington (just across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon).
Thanks to all.