PDA

View Full Version : Wish I had money..

Joey Anchors
Nov-18-2014, 6:53pm
I was just doing some mandolin builder research and found Silverangel Mandolins! I am in love with Ken's designs and that he uses redwood. I am really gassing for one of his A modes.

Wish I had money...:crying:

OldSausage
Nov-18-2014, 7:02pm
Well, they are good. Can you sell something?

Joey Anchors
Nov-18-2014, 7:09pm
I do have some guitar gear that I'm not using. One peice is a custom made les paul style JR worth $3000

jaycat
Nov-18-2014, 7:25pm

Joey -- do you mean to say you don't know the Three Magic Words so you'll never be broke?

Joey Anchors
Nov-18-2014, 7:43pm
Joey -- do you mean to say you don't know the Three Magic Words so you'll never be broke?

Haha.. Yes I have. Just relocated from Philly to a town of 10,000 people. There isn't much work here and currently applying to every job out here

OldSausage
Nov-18-2014, 7:52pm
Haha.. Yes I have. Just relocated from Philly to a town of 10,000 people. There isn't much work here and currently applying to every job out here

Well, if there are only 10,000 people, there must be something they need that they don't have yet.

I'm sure turning that Les Paul into a Silverangel would make you feel just fine, and you can always buy another Les Paul when you have the town eating out of your hand. Although, if you have a family monitoring your every move depending on you, now may not be an opportune time.

Nick Pooch
Nov-18-2014, 8:52pm
Start an expensive seminar on Brotherly Love. There's 10,000 of your neighbors that don't know anything about it!

If that doesn't work open up a cheesesteak shack. You'll be swimming in silverangels.

Joey Anchors
Nov-18-2014, 9:11pm
Well, if there are only 10,000 people, there must be something they need that they don't have yet.

I'm sure turning that Les Paul into a Silverangel would make you feel just fine, and you can always buy another Les Paul when you have the town eating out of your hand. Although, if you have a family monitoring your every move depending on you, now may not be an opportune time.

My better half got a job at the university here after finishing her PhD not too long ago so we aren't dieing for money (yet), but not working sucks. On the plus side it gives me ample time to practice.. Haha

fatt-dad
Nov-18-2014, 9:39pm
it's easier to busk with a mandolin.

f-d

D C Blood
Nov-18-2014, 9:47pm
Joey, You have made a very wise decision...For that money you will get a wonderful sounding mandolin that will sound fantastic. Ken's A models can't be beat. I've been playing well over fifty years now, and I've only had one mandolin I liked better...And Ken is great to work with, and has a lifetime warranty...

Joey Anchors
Nov-18-2014, 10:02pm
DC Blood I've heard some great Utube clips of his mandos and that's what sold me. So for the past hour I've been day dreaming up the specs for the Silverangel A-style.. I'm a big fan of old Gibson white faces.

So it would be something like..
Redwood top
Flame maple neck, back, and sides
Flat ebony fingerboard
White lacquer top plate/headstock face
Brownish red stained back, sides and neck
Pearl nut and mando fully bound with 3 ply binding.

CES
Nov-18-2014, 10:05pm
I was just doing some mandolin builder research and found Silverangel Mandolins! I am in love with Ken's designs and that he uses redwood. I am really gassing for one of his A modes.

Keep an eye out for an "econo" A model used...got mine for 900 dollars...can't imagine ever selling it. There's a reason they don't turn up terribly often...

OK, nevermind, I was typing while you were posting...

DataNick
Nov-19-2014, 12:13pm
...Wish I had money...:crying:

I know the feeling, and I do want about 4 or 5 different mandos (well maybe!) but I'm learning to be content with the one in my possession and the other one that's out on pawn...I do like what I've seen and heard of Silverangels...hope your dreams come true!

edandjudy3946
Nov-19-2014, 12:29pm
can't go wrong with Ken AAA - love my F #341 - sold my other mando to get it (or should I say 40% of it)

Joey Anchors
Nov-19-2014, 12:41pm
Thanks everyone for the hopeful wishes. I really like my cheapo Gretsch but after hearing one of Ken's SA A models I am selling off guitar gear I no longer use.

I just hope it sells as it is all custom made..

Edandjudy3946 how do you like the time of your F model with the redwood top?

mandroid
Nov-19-2014, 12:49pm
Sing along .. "If I Had a Million Dollars" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTK57dJc_pU

DataNick
Nov-19-2014, 1:01pm
Thanks everyone for the hopeful wishes. I really like my cheapo Gretsch but after hearing one of Ken's SA A models I am selling off guitar gear I no longer use...

Dude,

You're talkin a whole different ballgame than the Gretsch; you're goin from a beginner model to an instrument that has superior tonal character, construction methods, materials, fit, finish, and playability

If you can, I'd sell the guitar stuff; in fact I sold 3 of my guitars all at once(just one cheapo electric left) in my journey to get into what would eventually become my Gibson F5-L...

edandjudy3946
Nov-19-2014, 1:09pm
126550I LOVE that 160 year old redwood top. It's woody and loud as well and Ken is awesome to do business with and great communication whether by phone or email. You will have no problems. Love my classic Orrico tailpiece too. 126549

Thanks everyone for the hopeful wishes. I really like my cheapo Gretsch but after hearing one of Ken's SA A models I am selling off guitar gear I no longer use.

I just hope it sells as it is all custom made..

Edandjudy3946 how do you like the time of your F model with the redwood top?

Joey Anchors
Nov-19-2014, 1:14pm
126550I LOVE that 160 year old redwood top. It's woody and loud as well and Ken is awesome to do business with and great communication whether by phone or email. You will have no problems. Love my classic Orrico tailpiece too. 126549

That back looks amazing! I won't be going for the destressing as I want to put all the wear and dings on it myself.

JeffD
Nov-19-2014, 1:42pm
It is really the devils set up. Either no time or no money. Times when I had plenty of time it was because no work had come in. Times when the money is coming in, its because I am working every waking hour and have no time to enjoy anything.

My experience with folks that make a lot more money than me is that they are working a lot more and a lot harder than me.

And my experience with folks with more discretionary money than me - well that is good planning and discipline, as much as anything else.

bart mcneil
Nov-19-2014, 1:50pm
There are a whole lot of us who would love to be in your shoes. Memorize this:

"Dear, if you would only loan me the money I would buy a professional quality mando and soon be making the big bucks!"

Repeat it once a day until she lets you buy a really nice mandolin.

DataNick
Nov-19-2014, 1:52pm
It is really the devils set up. Either no time or no money. Times when I had plenty of time it was because no work had come in. Times when the money is coming in, its because I am working every waking hour and have no time to enjoy anything...

Well...isn't that because time is $$, and most of us haven't mastered getting the maximum of $$ from the time we invest? Hence the "money never sleeps" maxim.

Easier said than done right!...at least in my case it is...

JeffD
Nov-19-2014, 1:55pm
No, well sort of. My rule is to make hay while the sun shines, or umm, eat pie when pie is passing, or something. When the work is there I work, and I work until the work isn't there anymore.

edandjudy3946
Nov-19-2014, 1:57pm
you can always get money back - time - not so much