PDA

View Full Version : Question about Classifieds

bch8733
Nov-13-2014, 8:39am
Hello all, I have lurked on this site for years and have come to the conclusion that I am not a mandolin player. In fact, my mando hasn't been played in years. I am playing upright bass 3-5 nights a week in a rockabilly band on a carved bass, and am in need of a plywood bass. I want to sell my mandolin in the classifieds section of this site, but i am unsure how the payment goes. The disclaimer warns about wiring money, money orders, and such. Any info regarding using the classifieds would be greatly appreciated.

nickster60
Nov-13-2014, 8:50am
I use Paypal but there is a fee I think it is safer than most other forms of payment. There are Paypal haters though.

JEStanek
Nov-13-2014, 8:58am
I've done USPS Postal Money Order but Paypall really is the easiest and very secure for both your account's information. The fee is 3% if over 2-300 I think. I ship once the money clears into my account.

Jamie

Paul South
Nov-13-2014, 9:04am
I have received personal checks from buyers and made the agreement that we wait until the check clears my bank before shipment.

bch8733
Nov-13-2014, 9:17am
Thanks for the prompt responses. I will be posting an ad for my <item removed by Moderator due to Posting Guidelines (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/faq.php)> later today!

f5joe
Nov-13-2014, 9:20am
PayPal works great for me. Good luck.

haggardphunk
Nov-13-2014, 9:21am
PayPal is safest but there are fees. What are you selling?

Bill Snyder
Nov-13-2014, 9:25am
haggardphunk, read post #5.

Nevin
Nov-13-2014, 10:28am
For substantial amounts, you could look at the cost of having a wire transfer. It may be lower than paypal.

bch8733
Nov-13-2014, 11:19am
Sorry Ted, newbie mistake.

sgrexa
Nov-13-2014, 11:28am
I used to think Money Orders were as safe as cash until I tried to sell a grill on Craig's List last week for $100. I received TWO money orders (VERY authentic looking) from a guy in London for $985.00. I was to cash them and send him his change via Western Union. When I asked why I would cash TWO money orders when the grill costs $100 and also why I would not give him cash when he picked up the grill he never responded. I am now a little weary of Craig's List and Money Orders. Paypal is a nice way to go, especially when you use friends and family option (no fees). YMMV.

Sean

bratsche
Nov-13-2014, 11:53am
Paypal is a nice way to go, especially when you use friends and family option (no fees).

+1 on the no fees option. :)

bratsche

darrylicshon
Nov-13-2014, 11:54am
I used to think Money Orders were as safe as cash until I tried to sell a grill on Craig's List last week for $100. I received TWO money orders (VERY authentic looking) from a guy in London for $985.00. I was to cash them and send him his change via Western Union. When I asked why I would cash TWO money orders when the grill costs $100 and also why I would not give him cash when he picked up the grill he never responded. I am now a little weary of Craig's List and Money Orders. Paypal is a nice way to go, especially when you use friends and family option (no fees). YMMV.

Sean
Always a scam when they want to send you extra money

haggardphunk
Nov-13-2014, 12:45pm
I sent a guy an extra $10 once and told him to go get a six pack because he had mentioned that he had recently broken his arm. Im no scammer, just like doing people solids.

Ed Goist
Nov-13-2014, 12:56pm
At the risk of sounding "Holier-than-thou", I don think it's appropriate to use the PayPal "friends and family option" to hide a purchase. That option is meant for a non-transactional exchange, and when you use it you lose your ability to reverse the transaction should something go wrong.

If you accept or require payment by money order or bank check, insist that it get sent to you by certified mail. That way, should it get lost on it's way to you, the mail certification protects you against a claim of fraud. It also protects the buyer by proving the check made its way to the seller.

nickster60
Nov-13-2014, 1:01pm
It is very true if you use the friends or gift option you have no recourse if things go wrong. Just get the fees in advance or price it where they will be covered to your satisfaction.

bch8733
Nov-13-2014, 1:19pm
Is there usually a delay before your ad shows up in the classifieds? Posted it about 2 hours ago and it hasn't come up yet. Just curious if I did it right. Also would like to include a picture, but didn't see how to attach it. Sorry in advance for such newbie questions.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-13-2014, 1:27pm
Is there usually a delay before your ad shows up in the classifieds? Posted it about 2 hours ago and it hasn't come up yet. Just curious if I did it right. Also would like to include a picture, but didn't see how to attach it. Sorry in advance for such newbie questions.

Without knowing what you posted my first response would be for you to refresh your browser. If you let me in on the item I'll look and see if I can see it.

And no, the item usually comes right up for me.

bch8733
Nov-13-2014, 1:29pm
Mike, how do i let you in on it without violating post guidelines? I had a post "edited" earlier today.

yankees1
Nov-13-2014, 1:29pm

Sean As Judge Judy says, " If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't "

MikeEdgerton
Nov-13-2014, 1:30pm
Click on my name in the message above yours and send me a Private Message (PM)

Or you could look to see if it's in this list:

MikeEdgerton
Nov-13-2014, 1:38pm
OK, I have asked Scott and Dan to check things on the other side of the cafe to see if there are any problems

Scott Tichenor
Nov-13-2014, 2:18pm
I see no record of you placing an ad with the email address that matches your Forum account. Please PM me to discuss further (click on my name to the left and select Private Message.

mandroid
Nov-13-2014, 5:38pm
FWIW , not being a Pay Pal User , I dialog with the seller and we come to a Mutually agreeable solution ..

I have made several purchases that way, and a sale ..

My Burn was a build deposit embezzeled , the Ron Oates saga.

bch8733
Nov-13-2014, 10:43pm
Reposted my ad and it worked just fine. User error, I'm sure! Thank you for your attention to the matter!

Jeff Mando
Nov-14-2014, 12:53am
I sent a guy an extra $10 once and told him to go get a six pack because he had mentioned that he had recently broken his arm. Im no scammer, just like doing people solids.

Johnny Paycheck called it Colorado Koolaid......