PDA

View Full Version : franciscan bowlback construction

PH-Mando
Nov-11-2014, 9:45am
I have recently purchased my first bowlback. It is identical to this "Yasuma" pictured here. The back seems to be painted on lines. It is too smooth to be ribs. It is in very good condition. I only needed to sand down bridge to adjust action and position correctly for intonation. Love the sound of bowlback. My other mandolins are flat tops. Can anyone tell me what it is made of?

Bill Snyder
Nov-11-2014, 10:34am
The one you posted a photo of definitely has individual staves. It is most likely maple.

allenhopkins
Nov-11-2014, 10:53am
"Franciscan" seems to be an Asian-import label, so no surprise it resembles the Yasuma; may have been made in the same factory.

Never heard of a bowl-back that was molded from a single piece of wood. The ribs were probably sanded smooth and then given a relatively thick finish coat, which would give the impression of a one-piece back.

Concur that it seems to be maple construction.

PH-Mando
Nov-11-2014, 1:33pm
Thanks for the information. It does say made in Japan. Very minimal label. It simply says Franciscan, a model number and made in Japan. It sounds nice and is very light weight. The top is spruce and rather thick. Don't think there are any monks in Japan making these. Where do they come up with these names?

allenhopkins
Nov-11-2014, 5:27pm
Think it's intended to sound vaguely Italian (Italy being the capital of bowl-backs), just as "Ibanez" and "Alvarez" suggest the Spanish antecedents of the guitar, and "Kentucky" and "Blueridge" try to place their instruments in Appalachia.

Don't forget "Trinity College" for Celtic-type instruments. I've grumbled about this several times -- I mean, people buy Takamines, Suzukis and Yamahas even when the brand "sounds Asian" -- but it's probably some marketing genius's recommendation.

Jim Garber
Nov-11-2014, 5:28pm
It would be nice to see a front view but I would guess that this is a re-labelled Suzuki.

PH-Mando
Nov-12-2014, 11:00am
I will take some pictures and post. It appears to be well made. I put martin strings. Hopefully it handles the string tension well.

Jim Garber
Nov-12-2014, 11:53am
If it is a Suzuki and you are using Martin Lights it should be fine.

mandroid
Nov-22-2014, 1:53pm
so was not made by Monks in a Monastery, (like beer in Belgium?)

allenhopkins
Nov-22-2014, 4:36pm
so was not made by Monks in a Monastery, (like beer in Belgium?)

Hijack: at the Abbey of the Genesee near Rochester, there used to be a bakery making a brand called Monk's Bread. (Dunno if they're still doing it.)

At one point it was rumored they were going to branch out into snack foods, specifically potato chips.

Would anyone hazard a guess as to what their potato chip brand name would be?

Jim Garber
Nov-22-2014, 11:05pm
Hijack: at the Abbey of the Genesee near Rochester, there used to be a bakery making a brand called Monk's Bread. (Dunno if they're still doing it.)

At one point it was rumored they were going to branch out into snack foods, specifically potato chips.

Would anyone hazard a guess as to what their potato chip brand name would be?

126726?

Jim Garber
Nov-22-2014, 11:09pm
For the OP... you took that Yasuma pic from this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?91569-Yasuma-roundback-mandolin). Seeing the front of that Yasuma -- if your mandolin is similar it was made by Suzuki.

PH-Mando
Nov-23-2014, 7:35am
Yes I saw that picture in that thread and realized it was identical to this Franciscan I have! I tried to take a picture using my phone but did not know how to transfer to this thread. I will use my camera instead. Mine is identical, but has no name on the headstock. It only is identified on the label inside. By the way, it is my understanding that we had a group of monks in Oklahoma who ran a bakery! If monks ever decide to make mandolins I think they would come up with a more interesting name. We could suggest some interesting ones I am sure.

allenhopkins
Nov-23-2014, 12:48pm
Jim G's got it.