PDA

View Full Version : help with used Mix mandolin

Scott Gazelle
Nov-10-2014, 9:37pm
Hi - I am new to the Forum, but looking for help. I just purchased a used Mix A5 from the Cafe classifieds. The seller <Removed by Moderator> represented the instrument as being in "mint" condition. But when it arrived the entire surface had an uneven or bubbled appearance, which is completely different from any picture of these instruments I have ever seen before. I tried to attach a picture. Has anyone seen this before, or do you know if it can be fixed? Thanks in advance

MikeEdgerton
Nov-10-2014, 9:47pm
They are built by Cafe member Peter Mix (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/member.php?10479-Peter-Mix). Drop him a personal message and he might be able to tell you what is going on.

Scott Gazelle
Nov-10-2014, 9:52pm
Thank you

ianbarton
Nov-10-2014, 9:59pm
Thats interesting...it appears as though there is a urethane or something as a clearcoat (which is not unusual) and theres something going on between the epoxy and the urethane...almost like moisture porblems. However, I am not up to speed on peter's manufacturing methods, but I have been in contact with him and he's very nice and helpful and i'm sure he will be able to help you out. I am jelous of your new mando. I would love one of these but they are too far outside my price range.

Ron McMillan
Nov-11-2014, 2:53am
That instrument should go straight back to the seller. He has misrepresented its condition to you, and should refund your money.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-11-2014, 3:04am
Usually,a Carbon Fiber composite moulding will have a 'Gel coat' finish. That's a coating applied to the inside of the mould that gives the item it's final appearance. No further coating is necessary unless,as in cars / cycles,a finish colour is required. I can't think why the mandolin's finish should look like that unless the Gel coat was contaminated prior to the mandolin body being 'layed up'. Is it only the top surface that's affected,or as you imply the 'entire' surface = front/back/sides/ ??. If it is an all over problem,send it back if you can. The only other thing i can think of,is that the instrument has come into contact with a substance that's reacted with the Gel coat finish. - maybe a urethane finish or similar as mentioned by ''ianbarton'' above. I can't imagine for a moment that Peter Mix,the maker,would ship such an instrument from his workshop. Personally,i'm not sure if the Mix mandolins are still in production. This appeared on the Cafe somewhile back & may be of help in contacting 'whoever' .
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001191.shtml
Best wishes - Ivan

nickster60
Nov-11-2014, 8:29am
I think you should return it to the seller. If it was a traditional constructed mandolin I doubt any one find that finish acceptable. The seller should have been honest about the finish and noted it in the ad or brought it to your attention.

Timbofood
Nov-11-2014, 8:53am
I think Mike has the right idea but, I understand the "send it back" side of the coin too. See what Mr. Mix has to say. I doubt you'd have any serious trouble returning it if you decide to go that way. No reason to get too upset, it can all be worked out. Most of the folks here are pretty reasonable, other than me, of course. I'm a thorn!:grin:

nickster60
Nov-11-2014, 9:10am
I don't think that the gel-coat could develop a uniform "orange peel" texture. Every mold I have seen is smooth as glass. If i was to guess i would say it had additional top coat of clear.

Scott Tichenor
Nov-11-2014, 9:22am
I'm making contact with both the parties here. That's clearly not the appearance of a mint instrument compared to quite a few Mix instruments I've seen in person. Digging out the original text of the ad and images will paint a clearer picture.

Also, I warn OP that using the Forum to leverage advantage in a personal dispute, in this case posting the seller's name--edited out by a moderator--was clearly against the posting guidelines:

- Grievances, personal and corporate: The Cafe discussion forum is intended to be a nurturing community. While it is fair game discussing vendor corporate policies, malevolent harassment of individual employees, including posting names, email address, or any other personal contact information will not be tolerated. For example, a concern about a manufacturer's warranty policy or a reseller's return policy is permissible. Using the forum to malign or leverage personal advantage in a conflict is strictly forbidden. Though intent or motivation are not always provable, the moderators reserve full right in deeming whether or not comments made are consistent with policy, and may take action to edit, delete, or when necessary, revoke posting privileges.