PDA

View Full Version : Come build your own OM

Luthier
Mar-01-2004, 4:13am
I have my new "Mill Creek" Octave Mandolins ready for sale.#I will also be happy to help you build one in 3 days!!
http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/northern/adult.html#2003
If you would like, I will custom build one for you from one of my kits with whatever options you would care to choose.
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/kawalekd/homepage/kitpage.htm

Don

pickinBob
Mar-04-2004, 9:37pm
Don
Has anyone finished an OM kit yet and given you feedback?
Can a guy that is good with his hands and tools and is a reasonable carpenter build one of the OM's in the garage?

Luthier
Mar-05-2004, 4:50am
Hi Bob, #Not yet and yes. #I have sent some out and I will have them give feedback as soon as soon as they can. #I really have made this a piece of cake and if you do a decent job, follow my instructions and yell if you need extra help, you can easily end up with an instrument that could sell for a lot more than what it costs. # # #My Enter key is acting up again, Don #FYI, I will be coming out with a full set of plans in late April.

pickinBob
Mar-06-2004, 12:24pm
Don

If you can be objective about your own creation, how does the one you built sound?

Luthier
Mar-06-2004, 6:01pm
Its loud, very full, balanced, great intonation, and action. #I will have someone at the workshop try it to be more objective. #I really like it so I would rather have someone try it and give you some feed back. #I guess I am biased. ........and my darn Enter key is still screwed up! # # # # # # # #Don

kbatschke
Mar-09-2004, 5:15pm
I can vouch for Don's kits. I attended his workshop in November and would highly recommend it if you can get to Northern VA. If not, you still get the best quality woods and great, patient instruction from the man himself.

As for skills pickinBob, I didn't even know enough to be dangerous before the workshop. Now I'm building acoustic guitars and loving it.

Karl

Luthier
Mar-09-2004, 6:27pm
hehehehehe.......another addict has been created. # MUAHAHAHA #
.....and in three weeks, I get to work my magic on more unsuspecting people and empower them to go forth and create great instruments.
Life is good!!!!

Don

(hello junior)

kbatschke
Mar-11-2004, 6:57pm
It's all YOUR fault Don......you've created a monster. No, I haven't finished the Gibson repair yet, but I have braced the first set of sitka that you joined. Also bent one set of walnut sides. Once I get done with some home rehab projects, it will be some serious shop time for Junior.....
Hope the workshop goes half as well as the last one.

Karl

pickinBob
Mar-12-2004, 12:27am
Don
Can the sound hole be changed to a D shape, something like the Weber D shaped sound hole?

Luthier
Mar-12-2004, 5:46am
Yes, Not a problem.
I would send you a solid top with no sound hole if you would prefer. #Plenty of room for your own "touches".

Don