PDA

View Full Version : The Decemberists

Justin
Mar-28-2005, 1:33pm
I don't post on here much anymore, but I wanted to share this with you all. In addition to proving that Colin Meloy is one of the best songwriters around today, and THE master of the song-as-character-sketch, the Decemberists new album "Picaresque" features mandolin on most tracks. It's delightful.

Christian McKee
Mar-28-2005, 2:07pm
Incidentally, they had 100% of their gear stolen last week or so - someone drove off with their trailer after a show here in their hometown of Portland, OR. There's been a very supportive response from the community around here in terms of making sure they had gear to continue their tour, but please spread the word and be on the lookout for people selling questionable instruments or discounted merch...

Christian

class act
May-15-2011, 2:45pm
'The King is Dead', recently released in the UK, has some terrific mandolin from Peter Buck, who 'reprises' the riff from 'Talk About the Passion' in 'Calamity Song'...

mahoganyfolk.com
Jul-09-2012, 11:54pm
I love the album the King Is Dead, June Hymn and January Hymn are awesome. On "Picaresque" I liked Mariners Revenge!! This is one old thread!! There must be more Decemberists fans!

bob_mc
Jul-16-2012, 9:49am
I was listening to The King is Dead this morning, and browsed some of their other recordings. I really like their sound. I DL'd them along with the Lumineers and Trampled By Turtles awhile ago; they make a great mix CD when combined.

mahoganyfolk.com
Jul-17-2012, 8:51pm
Oh man I love Trampled By Turtles especially there song Wait So Long. I did a blog article about them on my blog haha. I also just found The Lumineers.. Can't get enough of Ho Hey and Submarine.

bob_mc
Jul-19-2012, 8:31am
Thanks; I hadn't heard Wait So Long yet. Stubborn Love by the Lumineers guts me.

Really great songwriting happening with all 3 bands.

mahoganyfolk.com
Jul-19-2012, 9:27pm
If you like Trambled By Turtles you might also like Cahalen Morrison & Eli West.. There from near where I live. I did a small blog post about them if you're interested. http://mahoganyfolk.com/blog/cahalen-morrison-eli-west/

Jpearce210
Jun-08-2014, 10:43am
Chris Funk the guitarist in The Decemberists plays a breedlove mandolin. With the angular cutaway. One of my favourite bands.

Stok
Jun-08-2014, 3:37pm
Hmm I'll have to check it out, I liked their album "the crane wife" that's the only one I've heard