PDA

View Full Version : pandolin or pandolyn

vonrippers94
Nov-05-2014, 3:37pm
I'm looking for any info about pandolin or pandolyn,history,craftmen, repair books and videos,parts, that I can find for a friend for Xmas thanks...MM

Jim Garber
Nov-05-2014, 10:06pm
Is this what you mean? Pandolyn (http://www.appalachianinstrumentsusa.com/pandolyn/pandolyn.html)

JeffD
Nov-06-2014, 9:28am
Cool instrument.

But I would need a custom model with that ninth fret marker removed and a tenth fret marker installed.

Jim Garber
Nov-06-2014, 12:47pm
Unless, of course, you mean this pandolin:

allenhopkins
Nov-06-2014, 3:10pm
Well, that's a pangolin -- but you knew that…

Pandolin (http://www.pandolin.com/) is a website devoted to Indian ("Bollywood") cinema.

That pandolyn looks downright scary, especially when they talk about "capturing the classic twang of country mandolin."

A. Mandolins don't twang, and…

B. Mandolin-banjos do, and do we need to go there?

Jim Garber
Nov-07-2014, 10:42am
Well, that's a pangolin -- but you knew that…

I did know that but that came up a few times when I searched. I think that animal is also called a pandolin, tho you would have thought it would have been a hybrid of a panda.

JeffD
Nov-07-2014, 10:54am
The one video I found with some pandolyn playing, Summer Hullender, the instrument sounds very thin and tinny. Not what I expected (or was hoping for).

bratsche
Nov-07-2014, 1:21pm
Mandolins don't twang

No, but many mandolin players do. :) Well, of course that all depends on the ear of the beholder, as it were; or perhaps, more to the point, on exactly how one defines "twang". To me, that's more of a stylistic playing sound than an inherent characteristic of an instrument itself. (Not that the pandolyn is something I'd likely be interested in - and I notice the site referenced by Jim also has some panjos available, as well!)

bratsche

Bertram Henze
Nov-08-2014, 1:25am
This design is creepily looking like something I built 30ish ys ago from the remains of a banjo mandolin and a stainless steel salad platter (the neck became the neck, the resonator became the back and the platter became the top - with a bridge sawed from a DIY shop aluminum profile, I was good to go). Couldn't have stood its ground against, say, a Gibson LL but was a visual crowd-stopper.

I'll never get over people trademarking common junk jobs. :sleepy:

Jim Garber
Nov-10-2014, 1:39pm
I'll never get over people trademarking common junk jobs. :sleepy:

A trademark is not a patent tho. I think the trademark only applies to the name. I know that Bertram is making a Pandolin™ clone even as we speak. :)