PDA

View Full Version : 13" to 13 7/8" scale length

Hany Hayek
Nov-04-2014, 8:26am
I have only played old Italian bowl backs (approx 33 cm scale length). Now I am seriously thinking of buying an A style mandolin that will have a 13 7/8" scale (approx 35 cm). I am however afraid that it will confuse / negatively affect my playing. I also have small hands. Looking forward to hear some opinions on this. Thanks

Tobin
Nov-04-2014, 8:40am
After a few hours of playing a longer scale for the first time, your hands will adjust to the slightly different scale length. I have very small hands too, and play a typical 13-7/8" scale mandolin. I also switch back and forth to the mandola at approximately 15-3/4" scale, and within a few minutes of switching it feels natural. Trust your hands; they won't get confused.

Tom Coletti
Nov-04-2014, 12:09pm
I switch back and forth between a 13" scale Martin and a 14" scale Breedlove constantly; the difference in feel really isn't that noticeable after a while.

If you'd like to keep the 13" scale length on your first A-style, though, the Martin flatbacks and Lyon & Healy Style A's along with a few other builders also use a 13" scale. The Martins are much more inexpensive than the L&H's by far, and they even have a canted top like the old bowlbacks for a sound somewhere between a standard A-style and a bowlback.

--Tom

nickster60
Nov-04-2014, 2:49pm
I agree with what others have said you get used to it. I go from mandolin. to violin and electric bass. Your finger just remember pretty quickly.