PDA

View Full Version : My new Mandolin

Chris Browne
Nov-03-2014, 2:44pm
I'm new around here, but wanted to share this with some people who might appreciate it...long story short, I've recently left an electric band I've played with for 15+ years and wanted to mark the occasion by getting back to the mandolin. I haven't played in years, and only even owned entry level instruments. A few days after I made up my mind to buy an Eastman from a local store, up pops this on Kijji (the Canadian Craig's list if you haven't heard of it). It was made by a local here in New Brunswick, Canada, and years ago I played a few of his instruments and they became a sort of bench-mark for me. They also spoiled me - stores around here carry Epis, Fenders, and low end Eastmans, and while the fellow is an acquaintance and we've played together a few times, his prices (while very reasonable, I've since learned) were far out of my league.

The asking price in the ad was excellent, but still I just don't have money lying around.

So one afternoon after a beer I called the number in the ad and ended up having a nice long talk with the fellow selling the mandolin. From the sound of it I was the first caller. I told him I'd try to pull some funds together and call him back. I played a few gigs with my soon-to-be ex band, sold an amp, and when I checked the ad not only was it still there but the price had dropped. I called him back. This time he had had lots of inquiries about it, but nobody had made the trek out to his place to see it, and I leaped. I didn't even have to play it to know what an excellent instrument it was, and now I can't put it down. It's a lot better than I am, but boy is it making me want to get better!

Franc Homier Lieu
Nov-03-2014, 2:50pm
Congratulations on the mandolin. I actually started a thread about it when I saw the kijiji ad

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?110238-Two-point-with-scroll-headstock-on-NB-kijiji

So who is the builder?

Chris Browne
Nov-03-2014, 2:53pm
Built by Elmo MacDonald. I think the issue with the neck joint is that the neck is designed to be be taken off easily.

Franc Homier Lieu
Nov-03-2014, 3:21pm
Well, I am pretty jealous. There are a few mentions of Elmo Macdonald in old Cafe threads. Here is one:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?38451-Elmo-mandolin-need-info-please

The final post reminds me that I also missed my chance to buy a Josey mandolin for around what you paid for your Elmo Macdonald. He who hesitates....

billhay4
Nov-03-2014, 5:58pm
A very nice looking instrument. The neck join wouldn't bother me one bit. In fact, I'm working on something similar for my next build. Post a sound clip when you can.
Bill

Steve VandeWater
Nov-03-2014, 6:08pm
Gorgeous instrument!

Hudmister
Nov-03-2014, 6:16pm
I'd name it the "Scorpion" , that head stock scroll could sting!

F-2 Dave
Nov-03-2014, 7:09pm
Beautiful mandolin. Congratulations.

Kowboy
Nov-03-2014, 7:48pm
The mandolin and you finally coming together reminds me of my story. I fell in love w/ my mandolin from an add in a 1997 acoustic magazine. I didn't get that mandolin until October 7 of this year. Glad you got what you wanted.