PDA

View Full Version : A New One or an Old One?

JAK
Nov-03-2014, 12:03pm
If you had a choice, would you rather have a new mando or an old mando from the same maker? Assuming that the price was the same, and the condition was the same, and the woods were the same, and the specs were the same, let's say you had a choice to buy a high-end (think Gilchrist, Nugget, Kimble, Brentrup, etc.) new one or a used one. Which would you choose?

robert.najlis
Nov-03-2014, 12:10pm
I would go for new, and get it made to my specifications, and enjoy the build process.
Keep in mind that there may be a break-in period involved with a new instrument, but I would look forward to that as well.

OldSausage
Nov-03-2014, 12:13pm
I'd play them both and then decide.

roysboy
Nov-03-2014, 12:13pm
I have far less experience than many here ..but for what my 2 cents is worth :
I owned an Eastman MD 305 several years ago which had amazing tone , I thought . So did the 315's I looked at back then . I opted for the 305 because it was several hundred dollars less. Since that time I have yet to play an Eastman 305 or 315 that sounds as good as the models I played several years ago . They all seem thinner and generally 'cheaper -sounding' for some reason .
I purchased a NEW KM-150 with incredible tone ( as many others here have attested to ) . I am informed by several dealers that these NEW Km-150 Kentuckys are , in fact , much better sounding . So I guess the answer to your question may be that it depends not only on the particular instrument ..but the build dates ( this is no news to most of us ..particularly guitar players ). Given the choice I'd buy the one that sounded the best regardless of its 'build date ' .

Jeff Mando
Nov-03-2014, 12:19pm
I would go for new, and get it made to my specifications, and enjoy the build process.
Keep in mind that there may be a break-in period involved with a new instrument, but I would look forward to that as well.

Sounds like getting a puppy.

Kowboy
Nov-03-2014, 12:24pm
I like plowing my own field so my last 2 major purchases were new ones. They were a 2001 Gibson F5L and I just took delivery on a 2014 Stelling S5-Q. There is a reason the Gibson is gone from me. It is now in the better hands of my son who plays in a group. A beautiful sounding and playing instrument. The Stelling has been an equal and I know it will just keep getting better. I do realize there is a risk of buying new and never played by me mandolins. I relied on the reputation of each. The instruments you are looking at I believe do have great reputations. If you can compare the 2 side by side the call will be an easy one. $$$ savings on used. Can you deal with wear marks on used. I think you would be happy either way w/ the mandolins you are looking at.

Dan Co1e
Nov-03-2014, 12:26pm
In general, if sound isn't an issue, I like instruments that have been gently used with a few dings so I don't feel bad when I bang it around.

On the other hand, I don't like being the caretaker of vintage instruments as I am always paranoid that I am going to bang it around...

Joey Anchors
Nov-03-2014, 12:32pm
If they both sounded similar I would pick for the new one.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Nov-03-2014, 12:39pm
The problem with this hypothetical to me are the sound the same and cost the same assumptions. That is usually 2 of the big issues. Many think a little time sounds good on an instrument, and some hard playing in too. For many makers, new and used aren't the same price-one way or the other, they are often a little different, maybe a good but different. Also, there is no mention of time, which is almost always a factor. From a great maker, you usually have to wait vs. an older being available now. My reason for preferring a used model to a new model are all the reasons that have been discounted in the assumptions. So sure, all equal I would love a new mandolin built to my specs... All things are never equal though.

JEStanek
Nov-03-2014, 12:42pm
I would get the used one if they cost the same and both sounded good. This way, when I sold it, I would get more of my original money back.

Jamie

UsuallyPickin
Nov-03-2014, 12:44pm
I generally buy used instruments. I like the fact that they have proven to hold up over time. I also HATE to put the first ding on a pristine instrument. Then again I've never have had the funding to purchase a used or new Gilly or Dude..... soooo...moot I think is the word and point. R/

bart mcneil
Nov-03-2014, 12:56pm
If I thought they were equally well made I would likely go with an older one. If something is likely to go wrong with the mando it more than likely already has.

But I think your question is flawed as a new one of any particular brand and model will almost always be more expensive than one several years old.

Timbofood
Nov-03-2014, 1:23pm
If I could have one of Bill Halsey's, I would not care if he made it last week or ten+ years ago! I think I would feel the same about almost any builder of that caliber, they were good then, yes, better now but, they early ones are still pretty darned tasty.

Tobin
Nov-03-2014, 1:40pm
I struggled with this "new versus pre-owned" question last year. I ended up buying new. And by new, I do mean brand-new. As in, just delivered by Tom Ellis to the shop the night before, and I had them hold it for me. It never even got a chance to go up on the wall as a demo model.

The main reason I did was because I wanted this to be "the one" that I play the rest of my life. I wanted to be the original owner, and know that every scratch, ding, worn spot, and mark on it was one that I put there myself, through decades of honest playing. Not to mention, I wanted the tone to develop under my fingers, not to acquire the tone that someone else played into it. I wanted it to be mine, all mine, with no previous history. I cannot really explain why it was important enough to me to spend the extra money on a brand-spanking new one, but it gives me extra satisfaction to know that the character it takes on as it ages will be a reflection of my ownership and no one else's.

That said, I would not hesitate to buy a well used mandolin if I were just searching for a particular tone or needed a particular sound for a specific purpose. But for my main axe, it was very important to me to have one that was "all me".

DataNick
Nov-03-2014, 10:21pm
+1 to Tobin's response, all things possibly being equal I'd prefer new; except of course for the big "Loar" elephant in the room.

almeriastrings
Nov-03-2014, 10:36pm
I have only purchased two brand new, straight out of the shop mandolins in my life. One is a Dave Harvey Gibson F-5 Fern and the other an Ellis F-5 Special. Any theoretical 'loss' on resale is completely irrelevant, as neither of them is ever going anywhere as long as I can still hold a pick.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-04-2014, 4:19am
I recently bought a 'used' Ellis "A" style & i love it !. If i was offered a new one in exchange for it,i'd have to play it. I'd never make the assumption that the new one would be 'better',or to use my own term, ''have a more pleasing difference'' than the one i have. I'd also like to know where one can buy 'new' for the same price as 'used',unless there's either a discount on the new one or a price hike on the used one.Two of my instruments have been 'pre-owned' & i wouldn't part with either of them. It seems that most of the world's finest Violinists buy 'used' instruments,so why should i quibble at a used mandolin,especially if we believe that a mandolin needs 'playing in to bring out the best of it'' - somebody else's done the hard bit,leaving me to reap the benefit :grin:
Ivan;)

High Lonesome Valley
Nov-04-2014, 9:04am
I always liked old.

Have dealt in the vintage market for years, and with the exception of hyper inflated pricey instruments traded for their collectibility rather than playability.

I can buy twice the instrument for the money old versus new and, as Ivan says, somebody else already played it in.

Additionally, any quirks of the instrument that may or may not be correctable have become manifest.

Bob Clark
Nov-04-2014, 10:50am
Although I have bought either way, I like buying new when I can. I like being able to support the people who are making these fine instruments. I value what they do and demonstrate that with my dollars when I can.

Mark Seale
Nov-04-2014, 1:11pm
With any of those makers, for me, it would depend on how old. I like the newest Gils better than the earliest ones. Those in the middle vary based on spec and I'd want to set them against each other. Kimble and Duff have been making for a while now, and they have adjusted their process along the way. They just keep getting better, so for those, I'd probably opt for new or newer.

mandroid
Nov-04-2014, 2:24pm
Think only new ones I bought were Electrics , the Acoustics passed thru a few hands before me ..

2 weeks past my Birthday, so feeling kinda old, but I could not have bought New in 1922,
that was the year my Mother was born, and my Father was but 2..

9lbShellhamer
Nov-04-2014, 2:25pm
I prefer new-ish stuff. I'd always pick the best sounding though, after playing if possible.

Denman John
Nov-04-2014, 3:15pm
I usually prefer to buy used. There are so many great instruments in excellent condition already out there that I can find pretty much what I want at a heavily discounted price compared to new. I bought my Nyberg OM new because they very rarely show up used and finding a decent OM to play is as rare as hens teeth.

If I had 2 instruments from the same builder side by side, I would pick the one that played and sounded the best. One thing that turns me off an instrument almost instantly is if the frets are worn and need replacing. Having to get a fret job right after buying an instrument holds no interest to me. Used but in great condition is how I like to roll :mandosmiley:

JeffD
Nov-04-2014, 3:46pm
I'd play them both and then decide.

Bingo. Which would be more fun to play and to own. Old has the mojo, the feeling that others struggled with the music on that very instrument before you were born. New has the feeling that all this is entirely yours, a new stream in the world that you have started and future generations will have to deal with. Having one made to your specs is a great way to demonstrate that your specs have some advantage. Old gives you a proven design, and objective evidence of what was, is and likely will be an issue with the instrument.

All other things being equal, get the one that makes you happier. (You do know you will get the other one eventually anyway, don't you. :) )

yankees1
Nov-04-2014, 4:11pm
new

Jim Garber
Nov-04-2014, 10:20pm
I actually had that "dilemma" many years ago when IO decided to blow what was then considered a wad of money on a mandola. I ended up at John Monteleone's shop and I had a choice of two Grand Artists: one was previously owned by a famous mandolinist on the left coast and the other was brand new. The tone of both was extremely close. I actually went for the new one -- I think it sounded just a hair better than the older one.

Of course, if the question were a used instrument vs. one that you were commissioning, I would prob go for the existing one. I would say that the top name luthiers also have consistency on their side in general, but unless there were some aspects of the existing instrument that did not please me, I would go with that one. You know about a mandolin in the hand is worth two in Sam Bush's... er... you know. :)

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-05-2014, 3:31am
I understand & agree with Bob's post regarding buying new to support our great builders,but sometimes we simply can't afford to do that & after all,the 'used' instruments have to find a loving owner. I have to admit to feeling a bit guilty re.buying the used Ellis "A" style instead of a new one,which i could have done only if i'd traded in one of the F styles i own. I didn't want to do that though,as they're both very good mandolins. At least it clears the deck for Trevor at TAMCO UK to get another new Ellis in stock,& i got an incredible instrument at a lesser cost. As he sells every mandolin he makes,i doubt if Tom Ellis will loose any sleep over me buying a 'used' one,:grin:
Ivan~:>