PDA

View Full Version : Post a pic of your solid body electric

mad dawg
Mar-27-2005, 4:34pm
I've enjoyed reading the multiple threads that pop up from time to time on mandobirds, mandoblasters, and the like, but I thought it would be even more fun to see pics of the solidbody electrics in your collections. (Portraits or action shots are both welcome!)

jmkatcher
Mar-27-2005, 4:49pm
Gibson Florentine Electric

berkeleymando
Mar-27-2005, 6:03pm
Kevin Schwab #135 MLS model in the center of the picture.

berkeleymando
Mar-27-2005, 6:11pm
Here's one of the same MLS model emando that Kevin had kindly sent me while he was building it last year.

berkeleymando
Mar-27-2005, 6:38pm
Ok, an 'action shot'.

jmkatcher
Mar-27-2005, 7:26pm
What's the wood on that Schwab? It's very nice.

Spruce
Mar-27-2005, 9:17pm
A John Sullivan electric, with a '62 Vox AC15 amp....
Great combo...

berkeleymando
Mar-28-2005, 1:25am
What's the wood on that Schwab? It's very nice.
It has a Koa top, mahogany body, maple neck and a small flamed maple panel covering the wiring channel on the back.

siren_20
Mar-28-2005, 2:55am
Not quite finished yet, but here goes. This is my first attempt at building, it will be a 5-string emando with a normal mandolin scale. The body is a scaled down compromise between a Les Paul Jr and a PRS style guitar. The body is solid Koa that was brought over from Hawaii 40 some years ago by a family friend. I had cut out the body and realized that it was a bit too thick, so I went ahead and took two slab cuts roughly 1/8" thick off the back. They'll go into some kind of acoustic-electric at some point, perhaps.

siren_20
Mar-28-2005, 3:00am
Another shot of my bridge and pickup choices. My goal with this thing is to incorporate general aspects of Gibson/PRS design (the body shape, humbucking pickups) with aspects of Fender design (the Tele-style bridge) in ways that I haven't seen done and thought would be cool. The pickup in what will be the neck position is a 5-pole SJ Ryder humbucker, and there will be another in the Tele-style bridge. I machined the bridge from 3/16" sheet brass, and annealed and cold-worked the end to get the 90-degree bend that will secure the string saddles. Eventually it will be nickel plated, or I might settle for silver plating it with cool-amp.

zupfcello
May-11-2005, 10:22pm
Howdy, I'm new to this message board thing, and thought I'd add my humble contribution. This is my electric mandocello converted from an el-cheapo "Drifter" electric guitar. Doesn't see much public action, just for thrashing about for fun at home.