PDA

View Full Version : Schutz-Marke bowlback - need info

Tobin
Nov-01-2014, 3:58pm
A fellow antique dealer came across this one at an estate sale. It's mine for $80 if I want it. I'm not into bowlbacks, and this one seems like it's in pretty poor shape. But if you could, please tell me what you know about it from the photos. Roughly when was it made, and where? What would be the value in its present condition? Is it worth restoring/repairing? Or is it pretty much just a wall-hanger now?

The staves are separated on the back, as you can see. One big opening, plus a couple more small ones starting near the tailpiece. Other than that, the back looks pretty good. The wood that wraps around the tail end has some splits near the tailpiece, but otherwise seems in good shape.

The top doesn't appear to be sinking, that I can tell. The braces inside don't feel loose from a casual probing with my fingers. The 'bend' in the top still seems straight. But there are numerous cracks running along the grain length. One big one from the bridge to the tailpiece, between the A and E strings. And several more between the bridge and sound hole. There are also cracks on both sides of the top, on either side of the neck.

The neck appears to be in good shape and the tuners work (though they're very stiff from age and lack of maintenance). Someone put an eye hook in the peg head to hang it from the wall.

The action is very high, and the intonation is awful. The sound is disappointingly quiet and meek. I wouldn't see myself ever wasting my time playing it. But it might be fun as a wall-hanger, or to move on to someone else who might appreciate it. Any info you could share would be appreciated.

Jim Garber
Nov-02-2014, 5:20pm
Nah! not worth the wood it is made of, esp since you already determined that it needs a fair amount of work. BTW AFAIK Schutz-Marke means trade mark, so this is really an unlabelled factory instrument possibly from Germany or Eastern Europe.

allenhopkins
Nov-02-2014, 5:23pm
You could use it "as is" for wall decor. Cost of repairs would be many times its value when playable.

Tobin
Nov-03-2014, 8:30am
Thanks for the info. Yeah, all I could find from Googling was that Schutz-Marke roughly translated to trademark. The eagle is generic enough that it could be German, Austrian, Czech, etc. I wish I could at least pin it down to a country or time period. My guess is that this is from roughly 1900-1910; does that sound about right?

Jim Garber
Nov-03-2014, 10:43am
Bowlbacks were and are more popular in Europe. This could very well be made later thatn 1900-1910, possible 1920s or 30s.

Martin Jonas
Nov-03-2014, 10:51am
I agree with Jim: most likely 1920s/30s and most likely made in or around Markneukirchen in Saxony (the centre of German mass instrument making pre-war). Fairly generic instrument, the only thing unusual being that it actually has a label (albeit one without obvious purpose), as most of these are unlabelled trade instruments.

Martin