PDA

View Full Version : army navy mandoline

jayehll
Oct-31-2014, 7:00pm
I recently aquired an army navy mandolin. I was wondering about origional cases?.... and if they came with a pick guard...wasnt sure what came with origional sale and if they even had accessories?

bart mcneil
Nov-01-2014, 12:06pm
As always, a few photos would be appropriate and interesting. Although there are some experts on this site, there are many who would be very interested in seeing it as you bought it. And, if you wish, a rough idea what you paid as some of us watch the going prices for these instruments. From a dealer? Or private party?

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase.

jayehll
Nov-03-2014, 6:05pm
bart.... thanks for our reply.it was a trade..private party....pics soon to come...had a friend check out the top bracing and now putting new strings on it. it came with a case and a removable pic quard....ill post pics later this week....jl

kkmm
Nov-08-2014, 10:01pm
Is the top bracing an X brace ?

8ch(pl)
Nov-09-2014, 5:54am
These usually had a traverse brace. The predecessor, the Alrite had 2 tone bars, one on each side of the soundhole. A local shop had an Alrite that the Luthier converted to X Bracing. It was a lovely sounding instrument.

MarkELynch
Nov-09-2014, 10:15am
Welcome to the cafe and congrats on your new mandolin! You may find this other Army-Navy thread interesting.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?105629-Gibson-DY-Army-and-Navy-Mandolin-How-many-still-exist

I would appreciate if you could send the factory number stamped inside of your instrument. As far as a case, there is no special case listed in the 1923 Gibson handbook so it is anyone's guess. Probably most had no case or maybe had a canvas bag or canvas end loading case. Mine is in a 1910's A hard case but the fit is very loose.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/documents/1923_service_manual/page4.html

Mark

sunburst
Nov-09-2014, 1:23pm
I have one in the shop that is in a very original-looking hard case. I haven't compared it directly to a case for a "regular" A, but it looks the same at a glance. (I'll have to do a direct comparison I suppose.) Other than the tuners, this one looks to have all original parts including a removable pick guard.
Here's what the inside looks like (with a lot of extra glue added by someone who "repaired" it).

kkmm
Nov-09-2014, 11:22pm
John,

thanks for the photo showing the braces, look pretty simple.
The reason I asked questions because I just "won" one of this kind on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141455239642?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will not elaborate on this to avoid hi-jacking the thread from the OP. Will certainly ask for advise once I received it.

pelone
Nov-10-2014, 7:37pm
John---is the brace in your photo under the bridge, in front of or behind the bridge? I have pondered about this for a bit of time.

sunburst
Nov-11-2014, 10:59pm
John---is the brace in your photo under the bridge, in front of or behind the bridge? I have pondered about this for a bit of time.

The top brace is right under the bridge.
While I'm here, here's the case. It is exactly like the A-4 case that I also have in the shop, so it appears they used the same case for the AN mandolins as they did for the A mandolins.

mandroid
Nov-13-2014, 5:47pm
The 1st one I played was painted Army Green, Perhaps it was actually back from the Battle .

kkmm
Nov-13-2014, 6:20pm
I was wondering about origional cases?
I received my AN mandolin (Kentucky KM-100S) today, the case seems to be designed just for it. My A style mandolin can't even slide in it. The AN mandolin is 1.75" thick, flat and the case also has very low profile.
The braces are exactly as post#7 shows.