PDA

View Full Version : Glad to be back (Glad to be anywhere)

CeeCee_C
Oct-30-2014, 9:53pm
Hi all -

It feels like I've been away for a very long time. I won't go into a great deal of detail, except to say that I'm really glad to be back.

I'd like to share pics of my new Lauri Girouard F5 mandolin. She did a beautiful job and it sounds awesome.

It was an extremely collaborative effort. Lauri did the work of course, but I chose the wood and designed the art nouveau style flourish for the peghead. Together, we came up with the red-based finish and the idea for the two color fret marker dots.

The back and sides are flamed curly maple and the top is red spruce. Lauri sent a piece of the same maple to Doug at Hill Country Stringworks, who used it to make a McClung armrest. He sent it back to Lauri so that it could be finished with the instrument.

I was very pleased to be allowed to work so closely with Lauri on this project. It really is an expression of my own aesthetic sensibilities as well as hers and the best part is that it's exactly what I envisioned.

Just as I posted the pics, I noticed that the armrest hadn't yet been attached. I'll take a few more, but my photography is not the same caliber as Lauri's.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

Yours,

Clef
Oct-30-2014, 10:05pm
Wow that is an incredible looking mandolin. That is a great design for a pickguard having it scooped so it doesn't get in the way when playing. The wood grain on the back is outstanding! The inlay looks really good as well.

That must have been a great working so closely during the build so you get it customized to your preference.

Congratulations.

jim simpson
Oct-30-2014, 10:21pm
Really nice! I like the fretboard end, also like the abbreviated pickguard with scooped area. The headstock inlay design is also very nice. The color of the stain is good. You've got a winner!

tburcham
Oct-30-2014, 11:03pm
Beautiful mandolin Cee Cee. Congrats to you and Lauri.

Sandy Beckler
Oct-30-2014, 11:40pm
Welcome back from wherever....

Sandy

Ron McMillan
Oct-31-2014, 4:37am
The Girouard creations are getting ever-more beautiful. Congratulations, and welcome back.

Atlanta Mando Mike
Oct-31-2014, 4:54am
To me eyes, that's the best looking Girouard I've seen yet. Really great looking mandolin you got there. Congrats and Welcome back.

Tobin
Oct-31-2014, 6:53am
Looks great! I do like that inlay at the peg head.

Are those gold EVO frets?

sgrexa
Oct-31-2014, 7:00am
Wow, I really like the color, and I was wondering if they are EVO frets as well. Really nice, welcome to the Girouard F5 club, a very select group, but growing!

Sean

Billbass1
Oct-31-2014, 7:15am
Pickguard is awesome . Wonder what kind of wood it is ?
Is it a McClung ?
Anyway , congratulations and welcome back .

AlanN
Oct-31-2014, 7:42am
Classy, indeed. And dig them frets.

bruce.b
Oct-31-2014, 8:08am
Gorgeous mandolin!

Timbofood
Oct-31-2014, 8:14am
Glad to have you back! Very pretty little to bring to the party there too,CeeCee! Or maybe here.

nickster60
Oct-31-2014, 8:20am
That's a looker, very nice.

CeeCee_C
Oct-31-2014, 8:26am
Yes, those are the gold EVO frets. I wanted the instrument in shades of red and gold. F4 inspired, but not F4.

The armrest is a maple McClung. The tailpiece is an Allen and the mandolin has K&K twin pickups inside.

CeeCee_C
Oct-31-2014, 8:36am
Welcome back from wherever....

Sandy

Sandy -

Let's just say that severe depression tends to interfere with ones life.

Tobin
Oct-31-2014, 8:39am
I just noticed it doesn't have a truss rod cover. Is it the type of design where the truss rod nut is only accessible at the neck block, through the end pin hole? Or does it just not have a truss rod at all? If not, how does the tone sound compared to an F5 with a truss rod?

Jim Garber
Oct-31-2014, 9:15am
Welcome back CeeCee. Glad you are back on track...

That is a lovely looking mandolin. Just curious: is Lauri now making her own line now?

UsuallyPickin
Oct-31-2014, 9:22am
Lovely...... I wish you two many happy years together.... R/

almeriastrings
Oct-31-2014, 9:25am
That is a mandolin of really great style and beauty, Cee Cee... with some really very nice 'little' touches all of which make it highly distinctive. That 'scooped' finger rest is most unusual, but looks fabulous. The finish and wood selection is near on perfect!

If it sounds half as good as it looks, you are home there.... and I'm sure it does.

Welcome back.

dang
Oct-31-2014, 9:32am
Very cool appointments, some subtle differences that really make it unique!

I really like the way the end of the fretboard and the radius in the pick guard carry that same arch. It unites 2 things that always seem awkward to me on a mandolin, the traditional "florida" and a stock pick guard just look stark and functional (to me). Yours go together well.

Austin Bob
Oct-31-2014, 9:38am
First, I wish you the best in dealing with your depression, I know how serious that can be.

Your new mandolin is simply gorgeous! I really like the color combinations, even though I'm a bit more partial to silver hardware on F5s. I saw those pictures and immediately wanted one just like it. Kudos on the design and execution, brilliant teamwork.

Nevin
Oct-31-2014, 9:56am
Depresion does suck. I hope the lovely mandolin helps you kick it in the ass.

Joey Anchors
Oct-31-2014, 9:59am
CeeCee you have a very gorgeous mandolin. Can't wait to see how the armrest turns out!

P.S. Welcome back and Happy Halloween!

Randi Gormley
Oct-31-2014, 10:13am
Really spectacular instrument -- Lauri's artistry has always been stunning and she's outdone herself on this. Congrats!

tree
Oct-31-2014, 10:24am
I thought the position markers outlined in gold were cool, along with the big gold frets. I'd like to see a shot of the back of the headstock, and the back of the neck. Is that a one piece back?

CeeCee_C
Oct-31-2014, 10:54am
Let me answer all the questions at one time.

There is no trussrod. The neck has a carbon fiber beam running its length.

Lauri is not starting her own instrument line. I specifically asked her to build this mandolin because I think it's important to showcase the craftsmanship of talented women; particularly in areas in which they're under-represented.

The pickguard and fingerboard end are unique to Girouard mandolins. I take no credit whatsoever for these creative and in the case of the pickguard, highly useful, touches.

The back is indeed one piece.

In the next day or so, I'll take pictures of the back of the headstock and the instrument front with the armrest attached

nickster60
Oct-31-2014, 10:57am
Sound clips would also be greatly appreciated. Nice to see you back and depression is nothing to fool with. But if there was ever a mandolin that could help, that one might me a good Rx.

David Smith
Oct-31-2014, 11:03am
Whoa!

MikeEdgerton
Oct-31-2014, 11:07am
...There is no trussrod. The neck has a carbon fiber beam running its length...

I think you'll find that would be considered a non-adjustable trussrod.

Tobin
Oct-31-2014, 11:08am
I think it's important to showcase the craftsmanship of talented women
To that, I'd say: "Mission accomplished!" :cool:

RhodyMando
Oct-31-2014, 12:40pm
Beautiful Mandolin!!

stevedenver
Oct-31-2014, 3:51pm
well, im glad youre with us, CCC

and think the mando is beautiful and

im hoping you will let us know how it sounds please, a few chops and a bit of single notes?

CeeCee_C
Oct-31-2014, 4:10pm
I think you'll find that would be considered a non-adjustable trussrod.

Mike -

Very true on your part and totally DUH on mine.

CeeCee_C
Oct-31-2014, 4:11pm
The only thing I'd change are the tuning peg buttons, but to the best of my knowledge, nobody makes Ivoroid buttons for Grover tuners.

pheffernan
Oct-31-2014, 4:14pm
I think it's important to showcase the craftsmanship of talented women; particularly in areas in which they're under-represented.

So how's the Hester coming along? :)

Phil Goodson
Oct-31-2014, 4:20pm
Welcome back CeeCee. I've missed your thoughtful and interesting posts.:)

Really nice instrument!!

CeeCee_C
Oct-31-2014, 4:38pm
So how's the Hester coming along? :)

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I'm in her queue. Probably about 2 more years. The bad news is that I'm currently "between situations", which sounds far better than unemployed. But hope springs eternal.

CeeCee_C
Oct-31-2014, 4:38pm
Welcome back CeeCee. I've missed your thoughtful and interesting posts.:)

Really nice instrument!!

Thanks Phil. You're very kind.

Michael Bridges
Oct-31-2014, 5:10pm
Welcome back, CeeCee! I was wondering about you the other day. Glad you're back on the uphill side of things, I always enjoy your posts (and attitude!) That's a stone-cold beauty ya got there! Just spectacular in every way. Love the inlay work on the head, very cool concept. I'm sure it sounds just as good. Congrats!!

Mike Arakelian
Oct-31-2014, 5:28pm
Absolutely beautiful CeeCee...congratulations and welcome back! Play it in good health.

pheffernan
Oct-31-2014, 7:52pm
I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I'm in her queue. Probably about 2 more years. The bad news is that I'm currently "between situations", which sounds far better than unemployed. But hope springs eternal.

So does that mean it's a bad time to suggest the Pava #100 at Carter's for your lady luthier lovefest?
http://www.cartervintage.com/mandopage/mandopage.html#pavas

John Gardinsky
Oct-31-2014, 8:44pm
Video or sound clips...we need 'em. That's a beauty!

CeeCee_C
Oct-31-2014, 10:51pm
Two more pics; the McClung armrest.

Lauri used the darkest shade in the sunburst as the color for the armrest. I added the booties in order to protect the instrument from the bracket arms, which have a habit of creeping inwards over time.

Marty Jacobson
Oct-31-2014, 10:56pm
Splendid work by Lauri on the mandolin. I'm sure it was a fun project for both of you. The booties are a clever touch. Do you mind elaborating on how you made them?

allenhopkins
Nov-01-2014, 1:50am
I would say that holding an instrument so beautiful, might be a good antidote for depression.

Been there, done that; wish you good and sensitive counseling, supportive friends/family, steady road back...

Timbofood
Nov-01-2014, 7:35am
Nice booties!
On the arm rest!!!!
Good idea.
I have even ""between" for quite some time so, I understand, I keep telling my wife (and myself) that something will come along.
It will, I have faith in that!
You'll be fine.

CeeCee_C
Nov-01-2014, 12:05pm
Splendid work by Lauri on the mandolin. I'm sure it was a fun project for both of you. The booties are a clever touch. Do you mind elaborating on how you made them?

Marty -

Working with Lauri was great. It's nice to be so in synch with an artisan that you get to see you ideas, expressed as words, made real.

Thanks for the compliment on the booties. Making them was fairly simple.

Get a piece of thin leather (I went to Joann Fabrics). To make a bootie, cut a rectangle just slightly shorter than the barrel length with a width as close to the circumference of the barrel as possible. You want the ends to just touch when you wrap the leather around the barrel.

Then stitch up the edges using heavy thread. The spool i have is very old but the material is called button/carpet thread, very heavy.

I actually looked for the name of the stitch but couldn't find it. I call it a lacing stitch, because it's exactly like lacing a pair of shoes.

Start at one end. Insert the needle into the inside, pull it through on the outside, then cross over the top and insert the needle into the inside of the other edge.

The stitching is far more attractive if you mark off the intervals and pre-pierce the holes. I spaced my stitches about 2mm apart, alternating sides.

For convenience, I refer to the three pieces of the armrest bracket as follows. The middle is the barrel, the two pieces that screw into the armrest itself, I call the L brackets. The bottom piece I call the foot.

You will probably have to create more space between the l bracket vertical and the edge of the armrest to accommodate the thickness of the leather. Otherwise the cork pad on the inside of the foot won't have enough area in contact with the instrument back.

For these relatively thick pieces, I unscrewed the L brackets 3 or 4 turns. Then I grabbed each L bracket in one hand and the armrest body in the other and made sure that the L brackets were still solidly threaded into the holes in the body.

Then slide the booties onto each barrel, reassemble the bracket with its reverse threads.

Slide the booties up or down on the barrel to expose one of the tightening holes. Then tighten both barrels evenly using a pin tool. The booties should be up against the instrument side but not so tight as to prevent them from (a) being slid back up into place and (b) being rotated so that the stitches are against the instrument. When my stitching gets better, I'll stop needing to rotate the booties.

I hope this makes sense. Sometimes I describe things in ways that make complete sense to me but no sense to everyone else.

Toni Schula
Nov-01-2014, 12:14pm
Cee Cee we are all glad you are back.
May picking the mandolin (and yours is a beauty) help you as much as it helps me!

George R. Lane
Nov-01-2014, 12:50pm
CeeCee,
I am glad to see you back on the Café. I suffer from anxiety attacks and when it happens my breathing becomes difficult. I know this is not comparable to your condition but, I do understand how it effects ones' life. Playing your beautiful instrument should help lessen the effect.
All the best to you.

Timbofood
Nov-01-2014, 3:16pm
That was exactly how I thought you did it, you probably made them in less time than writing it out!

Denman John
Nov-01-2014, 4:24pm
Beautiful mandolin, but i would love to see/hear how it sounds.

Play it in good health.

CeeCee_C
Nov-01-2014, 10:47pm
Thanks to everyone for your support. It's been a tough year. And George, I am sorry to hear about your anxiety attacks. I'm all too familiar with them. We should talk.

chuck3
Nov-01-2014, 11:02pm
Beautiful mando and good luck with everything.

Roth Swinghammer
Nov-02-2014, 1:40pm
Sorry to hear about your trouble, I hope you are feeling better and I hope your new awseome mando can bring you lots of joy!!!

David Rambo
Nov-02-2014, 8:46pm
Welcome back, Cee Cee. I hope that you continue to "improve", and I also hope that your new mandolin will lift you up and fill your heart with unending joy!

chuck3
Nov-02-2014, 11:20pm
whenever I'm down, I listen to this cut by Emory Lester, and it brings me back up.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/mp3/lester-overland.mp3

outsidenote
Nov-03-2014, 1:38am
Welcome back. Sorry that you had to go through a dark spell. Glad you've made it through. When I'm down or at the Dentist, I mentally go to a "happy place". I have several. Based on my Avatar, you can guess one of them. Your mandolin is beautiful, an absolute work of art. Enjoy the moments of being "inbetween situations." That's part of life too.

Bill Clements
Nov-03-2014, 10:08am
Beautiful mandolin, which is appropriate considering the lovely lady who owns it.
Keep your chin up!

hank
Nov-03-2014, 2:54pm
I used to work in an industry that most of my coworkers were wired in a way that lacked emotion. Just the facts, black/white, yes/no, precise definitions and instructions were their sanctuary. One morning one of them asked me after reading a news headline of a performers suicide why so many people in the Arts and Entertainment industry seemed so unpredictable and unstable? After a moment of reflection I responded that I thought it was it was their strong emotional responses to life that fueled their art and creativity.
In today's world of social media I often feel overwhelmed by it's shear volume and ego centric nature. Our often destructive effect of human behavior on each other and the world around us sends me in a downward spiral of introversion. My sancuary is to musical thought and meditation for balance from the depression and hopelessness my own pessimism. It helps me to compare my experiences of this life with the tension and release created in a good musical sentence. My inability to control the highs and lows in my life and where they lead me like an interesting new song or novel inspiring whatever it is that I am to new adventures. Believing that without strong ego's and emotion there would be no song or story happy or sad, I try to transpose my negative emotion into musicial inspiration and drive. Productive musically or not the process of trying seems to turn my black cloud back into a cleansing rain and rainbow in the beautiful light of the world we live in.
I have enjoyed your humorous post and special point of view as well. Glad your back with a beautiful new mandolin to share with us.

Russ Donahue
Nov-03-2014, 4:53pm
Very nice looking instrument, and looking forward to your posts again...

bohemianbiker
Nov-03-2014, 5:12pm
Let me add my voice to the chorus saying how gorgeous that mandolin is.

Are you still wrenching/racing m'bikes? Was it classic bikes?

Best wishes on everything you're dealing with. bb

Hudmister
Nov-03-2014, 6:53pm
I am using the excellent photo of the pick-guard as my desk top wallpaper.