PDA

View Full Version : Kimble #220

Timothy S
Oct-30-2014, 5:06pm
On Tuesday I received Kimble #220! I was apprehensive about ordering a mandolin blind, but Will exceeded my expectations and was very easy to work with. Here are a few quick photos, and please forgive the glare. When I have a little more free time I'll try to get more and record a sound sample. Cheers!

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-31-2014, 3:56am
Timothy - That is one stunning mandolin. Will's nailed the Fern headstock inlay totally,it's one of the nicest i've seen. Isn't it great to own such a glorious mandolin, knowing that it's only going to get even better the more you play it - enjoy the journey,;)
Ivan~:>

Susan H.
Oct-31-2014, 4:29am
Timothy, very nice mandolin indeed! Have fun with it. It just says, play me. Congratulations on your new mandolin.

tburcham
Oct-31-2014, 6:14am
Congrats Timothy! Beautiful work from Will, who is one of the best luthiers of the modern era. I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. Enjoy it!

Denman John
Nov-02-2014, 12:08pm
Congratulations and good to hear that Will exceeded your expectations.

I should be receiving #168 tomorrow (A-0) and am really looking forward to getting to know it.

So, you've had it for a few days now ~ any updates?

Play it in good health!
John

Atlanta Mando Mike
Nov-02-2014, 3:25pm
Very nice!!!! Was that new from Will? If so, what was your wait time?

Timothy S
Nov-02-2014, 7:29pm
Seems to open up a little bit more every day. Very subtle. The tone is crisp, clear, and even across the strings/up the fretboard. I jumped down from a 1-3/16" nut on my Breedlove to 1-1/16" on the Kimble and it's been fantastic. The neck is just right. I feel inadequate as a player to have such an exceptional instrument, but that just drives me to practice more and more.

It is brand new from Will. The varnish/polish is so fresh. You can smell it every time you open the case. The wait was just over a year.

Glassweb
Nov-02-2014, 9:12pm
Seems to open up a little bit more every day. Very subtle. The tone is crisp, clear, and even across the strings/up the fretboard. I jumped down from a 1-3/16" nut on my Breedlove to 1-1/16" on the Kimble and it's been fantastic. The neck is just right. I feel inadequate as a player to have such an exceptional instrument, but that just drives me to practice more and more.

It is brand new from Will. The varnish/polish is so fresh. You can smell it every time you open the case. The wait was just over a year.

just wait till you've been playing it for a year or so... that's when "the blossoming" REALLY begins... you'll be amazed!

hank
Nov-02-2014, 11:51pm
Congratulation Tim! It's an amazing revelation when you finally find a neck/string spacing/fret size,board shape that really fits your hand and mind. It seems like most post seem fixated on tonal color and volume as though how the mandolin feels in your hands and responses to your mind and fingers were not as important. I love the tone of my teens A4 but no matter how much I tweak it's setup ,string spacing, etc. I can't play it as fluidly and effortlessly as my 23 F4. My Goldrush is a monster with crushing power and response that makes itself heard in any shouting match but when refret time comes I'll replace the nut and frets to match the F4's that seems to fit me like a glove.

lenf12
Nov-09-2014, 10:15am
Will builds awesomely beautiful mandolins!! I especially like the look of the body scroll which he makes nice and tight like an old F-5 rather than the much looser scrolls on new Gibson Fs. I know it's only aesthetic but it's that attention to detail that sets Will apart from the rest of the pack (with a few notable exceptions). Play it in good health.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL