PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a Loudbox Mini

Steve Ostrander
Oct-29-2014, 9:24am
I finally got a Fishman Loudbox Mini and what a great investment it was. Sounds great and so easy to tote around. Well worth the money. I had been using my Blues Jr. and it sounded OK but the Fishman is better.

Now I need to get a K&K installed in my Breedlove ff. I was told by a luthier that he didn't think he could do it because the f holes were too small. That sounds strange to me. I should think that any luthier worth his salt could figure out a way.

Mandobart
Oct-29-2014, 9:41am
If he doesn't think he can do it, go somewhere else (or DIY if you are handy). I'm no luthier but I've installed these type p'ups in 3 fiddles and one mando with f holes. I use an S-type sound post setting tool and bent long needle nose pliers to get in there. Most important thing is to protect the top around the f holes with low tack painters tape before starting.

John Adrihan
Oct-29-2014, 10:04am
I have been using the mini for several months now and really like it. I plug a vocal mic in and then mic my mandolin or guitar using an inline transformer. Works great. I use a sure 58 and a sure 57. Not a big fan of pick ups on acoustics. specially mandolins, but that is just my 2cents.

JonZ
Oct-29-2014, 10:22am
You can also plug your instrument into one channel and a vocal mic into the other channel, and have a nice mini PA.

Steve Ostrander
Oct-29-2014, 8:15pm
Not a big fan of pick ups on acoustics. specially mandolins, but that is just my 2cents.

Agreed that a mic sounds better, but I move around too much and I found that the sweet spot is hard to maintain.

kjbllc
Oct-30-2014, 6:08am
I have the loudbox artist, works very well with piezo pickups,

John Adrihan
Oct-30-2014, 6:12am
Agreed that a mic sounds better, but I move around too much and I found that the sweet spot is hard to maintain.

That is true.

UsuallyPickin
Oct-30-2014, 8:17am
I give two thumbs up to the Loudbox Mini. The weight is a real bonus when you compare it to other similar units. Whether you use it as a monitor and run the line out to a PA or as a small room system it works great. I use mine with a pickup mic combination using the mic as boost for instrumental breaks when I am not singing. I get good tone with a mandolin or fiddle through the 1/4" jack channel. For a mic my usual choice is an AKG C 1000. A mic has better acoustic instrument tone it's true and with feedback suppression it is so much easier to use one live onstage than it used to be. But a pickup is just more comfortable to work with and they also sound a lot better than they used to. It's about being heard first and then about tone. My .02$...... R/

Daniel Nestlerode
Oct-30-2014, 8:43am
I have been using the mini for several months now and really like it. I plug a vocal mic in and then mic my mandolin or guitar using an inline transformer. Works great. I use a sure 58 and a sure 57. Not a big fan of pick ups on acoustics. specially mandolins, but that is just my 2cents.

Mics always sound better, but you have no idea how many times I've walked on stage and been handed (without asking) a lead to a DI box. I just got tired of asking for a mic. Plus the Schertler in the Mix F5 sounds fantastic. I've had other mandolin players here in the UK say, "I had no idea a mandolin could sound that good."

Steve, can you compare the Loudbox mini to an AER or a Bose L1 system? I'm thinking of upgrading the kit and am considering all three.

Thanks!
Daniel

Mark Seale
Oct-30-2014, 9:55am
Mics do sound better. I run a DPA4099v on both mandolin and fiddle, typically through an Acoustic Image Corus. I've also used the Bose L1 Model 1 (direct and through a small board,) QSC K10 with a small board, and an AER. The Bose is only needed for larger venues. The sound is superb and with the small board can be eq'd effectively for voice, mandolin, or whatever. For small venue and stage gigs with front house PA, I use the AI or the AER. They are both VERY good and transparent with the DPA. The AER is slightly warmer through its own speaker, but the AI is more accurate. The Fishman I tested against the two was good, but not the same caliber of power and extensibility of the AI, or transparency of sound.

ertdwyer
Apr-29-2015, 2:32pm
Anyone ever experience any buzz with the amp on certain notes. Middle of the neck on the D string has some occasional buzz. The only way I can describe it is the same way my electric guitar amp sounded when a coil in the reverb tank was detached. Its barely audible to the n00b but it bothers the hell out of me...

Any advice on what to do before I bring it into a shop?

mandroid
Apr-29-2015, 3:37pm
Make sure its not buzz from the source frets not playing cleanly due to Fingerboard Issues ,
rather than the Amp.

reading the specs : Loud Box mini is OK with dynamic Mics like Shure SM57/8, to sing into.
Offers no phantom power for any condenser types .
(but dynamics tolerate spitting P's & T' & S's better, anyhow)..

I was told by a luthier that he didn't think he could do it because the f holes were too small. That sounds strange to me. I should think that any luthier worth his salt could figure out a way.

You are in Michigan Try Elderly Instruments' shop.

Elderly Instruments
1100 N. Washington
Lansing, MI 48906 USA

almeriastrings
Apr-30-2015, 1:42am
An 'electrical' problem would typically not manifest on certain notes. So, this is most likely (as Mandroid says) to be some form of 'mechanical' noise. It could be frets... but equally, a loose cable inside the instrument, a loose transducer, or even a resonance from the amp itself at certain frequencies: a loose nut or screw, or other part rattling around. Try to narrow down the culprit. Switch instruments.. in the workshop, I have an audio signal generator that I plug in and 'sweep' to test amps and speakers across the spectrum - this often reveals resonances or loose parts.

As for condenser mics... yes, you can... you just need an electret with built in battery: Shure SM94, Rode M3, AKG C1000, etc. These are all a good match to the Loudbox.

mandotim1955
Apr-30-2015, 4:07am
Mics always sound better, but you have no idea how many times I've walked on stage and been handed (without asking) a lead to a DI box. I just got tired of asking for a mic. Plus the Schertler in the Mix F5 sounds fantastic. I've had other mandolin players here in the UK say, "I had no idea a mandolin could sound that good."

Steve, can you compare the Loudbox mini to an AER or a Bose L1 system? I'm thinking of upgrading the kit and am considering all three.

Thanks!
Daniel

Hi Daniel. I've used AER, Bose L1 and Loudbox as a mandolin amp. The Bose is the best by miles, but pricey. The L1 Compact is good, but not as good as the full size L1. Depends what you want; the Bose will go all the way up to 150 seat venues, whereas the others start to be underpowered in anything other than small spaces. If you are plugging into the house PA, the Loudbox mini is fine. The bigger Loudbox models (I have the Artist model) have phantom power, so the choice of condenser mics is wider, plus the EQ and effects options are better on the Artist. I sold my AER amp a while ago; I felt it was overpriced, and wasn't that much better than the Loudbox for most scenarios. Got a great price for it though! If I needed something better, I used my L1 Mk1. I use a clip-on ATM350 mic on the mandolin these days, through an Audio Technica System 10 digital wireless system, then out to the PA. Freedom of movement, mic quality and plenty of volume before feedback. At gig volumes, I can stand in front of the speakers and play without feedback.

John Flynn
Apr-30-2015, 5:29am
At church, I run a Shure Beta 57A into a Mini and then run the direct out on the Mini into the board. It works great. I used to run both my Rigel A+ and my Mendel OM (with a K&K Twin) into a RedEye Twin preamp and then into the Mini. That worked really well also.

Austin Bob
Apr-30-2015, 6:20am
I have the Loudbox Mini as well, and often use it with the K&K installed on my mando. I love the light weight of the amp, and it puts out enough sound for small to midsize venues.

But I think any discussion of amplification should start with the type of group you are playing with, as well as the venue before one gets into the debate of amps vs. mics, etc.

Sure, mics sound better if you are looking for pure acoustic tone, no question. That would be my first choice if playing in a sting band. But if you are playing in a mix of acoustic/electric guitars, keyboards, multiple singers, drums, etc., the tone often gets lost. I find it much easier to use an internal pickup and run it to an amp or PA.

mandroid
Apr-30-2015, 12:54pm
Looking online I see It has an XLR (M) DI Output.
So it can serve as a Monitor, while you go Direct Input, and use
.. one of the Microphone channels of the House sound system Board.

Perry
Apr-30-2015, 1:33pm

Great little amp..I have one too..

what about the best of both worlds...plug in in one channel and set up a mic in the other?

On a related note does anybody know of a condenser mic that has built in phantom power so you could use it in the loud box mini? The loud box mini doe snot supply phantom power.

Or is there such a animal?

allenhopkins
Apr-30-2015, 3:34pm
...does anybody know of a condenser mic that has built in phantom power so you could use it in the loud box mini? The loud box mini does not supply phantom power. Or is there such a animal?

The Electrovoice BK-1's that I bought 25 years ago, and still use, could be powered either by phantom from the board, or by a 4.5v battery (and try to find one of those at your neighborhood store!). Since 'most all my mixers now have phantom, I don't have occasion to use the batteries often, but I have some that I've kept in the fridge for years, hoping that, if needed, they'll still respond.

On a more contemporary note, there's the Rode M3 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/470247-REG/Rode_M3_M3_Multi_Powered_Cardioid_Condenser.html) which is powered by a 9v battery. I have no direct experience with it. And, of course, there are a number of phantom power "boxes" into which you can plug your mics. I have one that works off two 9v batteries; others may have DC power from a "wall wart" transformer.

mandroid
Apr-30-2015, 4:13pm
Rode NT 3 & M3, and AKG C1000, they have an onboard Battery to power the condenser element.

Another Battery powered condenser, on the budget end, there is this one, taking a 1.5v AA

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/condenser-microphones/nady-spc-25-condenser-microphone

almeriastrings
Apr-30-2015, 10:45pm
On a related note does anybody know of a condenser mic that has built in phantom power so you could use it in the loud box mini? The loud box mini doe snot supply phantom power.

Or is there such a animal?

See my post number 13.

Of those mentioned, I would rate the Shure SM94 and Rode M3 highest. The AKG C1000 has been through a number of incarnations, I think they are on version IV now.... some were frankly not very good, I hear the latest version is a lot better, but have not tested one yet. I have used the Rode M3 quite a bit, and it is a very nice, versatile microphone. Good both live and in the studio and excellent value. Built like a tank!