PDA

View Full Version : Are there any pure (not plated) nickel wound mando strings?

westsideryan
Oct-28-2014, 6:26pm
Does anyone know of any pure nickel wound strings for mandolin (besides flatwounds)?

I love pure nickel strings on my acoustics (especially round cores) and would really like to try some on a mandolin.

I know that a few companies make them for guitar and I could just neuter a couple of sets of those, but that could get a bit pricy and I think that I would be stuck with some very unconventional string gauges!

Thanks much!

-Ryan

Jim Garber
Oct-28-2014, 8:20pm
I believe that Newtone (http://www.newtonestrings.com/traditional_page.htm) makes their strings with a round core (http://www.newtonestrings.com/mechanics.htm) and also in nickel, tho I am not sure that they are pure nickel. Juststrings.com (http://www.juststrings.com/newtonemandolin.html) carries them.

Joey Anchors
Oct-28-2014, 9:46pm
For mando.. I don't think someone is. I too love pure nickel (round core) strings and just mod two sets of Pyramid Pure nickel classics.

It is a bit pricey $20 for making your own from pyramid classics.

The gauging is odd.. Mine being 11, 14, 30, 42

westsideryan
Oct-28-2014, 9:58pm
I believe that Newtone (http://www.newtonestrings.com/traditional_page.htm) makes their strings with a round core (http://www.newtonestrings.com/mechanics.htm) and also in nickel, tho I am not sure that they are pure nickel. Juststrings.com (http://www.juststrings.com/newtonemandolin.html) carries them.

I just found the following out recently when I ordered a bunch of Newtone mandolin strings thinking that they were going to be round core like their guitar strings. Well guess what? They are not! I found out from the owner that all of Newtone's "Traditional" strings are hex core, but you can place a custom order and have them made with round cores. Also, the nickel Newtone's are plated.

westsideryan
Oct-28-2014, 10:11pm
For mando.. I don't think someone is. I too love pure nickel (round core) strings and just mod two sets of Pyramid Pure nickel classics.

It is a bit pricey $20 for making your own from pyramid classics.

The gauging is odd.. Mine being 11, 14, 30, 42

Those gauges are odd!

I looked at the Pyramids but like you found out they don't have the gauges that are needed. Plus, I think that's a bit expensive!

I think that DR Pure Blues might be a better/slightly cheaper option for round core pure nickel strings than the Pyramids as (from what I know) come in more gauges than the Pyramids and are also cheaper at $5.95 a pack.

Being round cores they should have less tension than hex cores so you might be able to get away using heavier gauges.

Anyway, I'd much rather be able to just purchase a set of pure nickel mando strings!

Maybe I'll look around and see if I can have a custom set made up by someone.

Jon Hall
Oct-29-2014, 9:12am
You can buy solid nickel mando strings from Steve Hartz. http://www.mysteryridge.com/Mystery_Ridge/Home.html

westsideryan
Oct-29-2014, 12:32pm
You can buy solid nickel mando strings from Steve Hartz. http://www.mysteryridge.com/Mystery_Ridge/Home.html

Thanks for the tip! I didn't see them on his site so I sent him an email.

mandroid
Oct-29-2014, 2:52pm
the Metallurgist and the wire buyer for the string company are the only ones that would know if a company buys Pure Nickel wire to wind around their strings ..

I expect the concept is more alloys that are a good % Nickel
rather than Only Pure Elemental Nickel .
so it looks silvery but wont wear off or tarnish.

Nickel was discovered by Axel Fredrik Cronstedt at 1751 in Sweden. Origin of name: from the German word "kupfernickel" meaning Devil's copper or St Nicholas's (OLd Nick's) copper

http://www.webelements.com/nickel/

then you find Monel qualifies it can be over half Nickel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel that is the winding wire Gibson has used for decades..
Mona-Steel strings.

add more Iron in the alloy mix its still Solid .. not nickel plated ,
but it will respond to a magnetic field
and that alloy is used in electric guitar and Mandolin strings.

westsideryan
Oct-29-2014, 6:54pm
the Metallurgist and the wire buyer for the string company are the only ones that would know if a company buys Pure Nickel wire to wind around their strings ..

I expect the concept is more alloys that are a good % Nickel
rather than Only Pure Elemental Nickel .
so it looks silvery but wont wear off or tarnish.

http://www.webelements.com/nickel/

then you find Monel qualifies it can be over half Nickel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel that is the winding wire Gibson has used for decades..
Mona-Steel strings.

add more Iron in the alloy mix its still Solid .. not nickel plated ,
but it will respond to a magnetic field
and that alloy is used in electric guitar and Mandolin strings.

Very interesting!

I don't think that I have ever tried Monel strings on a mandolin. The only Monel strings that I am aware of are the Gibson Sam Bush strings. I guess I should give them a try at some point. I am just not that crazy about the slightly heavier gauge that they come in so I haven't purchased them yet.

westsideryan
Oct-29-2014, 8:25pm
Looks like I can get singles of DR "Pure" nickel round cores in .042 and .026 which might possibly work out since they are lower tension. Does anyone ever play a G stings that are thicker than a .041? They also have them in .038 and .024, but I am thinking that these might be too light of a string even before taking into account that they are also round cores.

westsideryan
Oct-29-2014, 10:56pm
OK... well I figured out the cheapest way to get a set of "pure" nickel round core strings is to purchase .026 and .042 GHS Boomer singles and then just add whatever plain strings you'd like.

Joey Anchors
Oct-30-2014, 8:48am
I have switched back to J73 for now as I can get 4 sets of J73s for the cost of one set of Pyramid Classics and that keeps the over all cost of touring/living lower.

Plus I can buy them almost anywhere.

westsideryan
Oct-30-2014, 10:43am
I have switched back to J73 for now as I can get 4 sets of J73s for the cost of one set of Pyramid Classics and that keeps the over all cost of touring/living lower.

Plus I can buy them almost anywhere.

I here ya. When I was on the road I'd change guitar strings every 1 or 2 gigs. We just ended up ordering a bunch of bulk D'Addario or GHS strings through Harris Teller or Midco. In fact, I still have somewhere around 500 or so single strings. If you are playing a lot you should look into getting an artist sponsorship.

mandroid
Oct-30-2014, 2:38pm
FWIW I think Gibson was Making Mona-Steel strings Before SamBush, Or I, were Born ...

The last few sets I got had no Musician's name associated with them ,

just Monel Wound, loop end .. 11/41; Medium light, G-161ML

gages 11 14 25 41

westsideryan
Oct-30-2014, 4:55pm
FWIW I think Gibson was Making Mona-Steel strings Before SamBush, Or I, were Born ...

The last few sets I got had no Musician's name associated with them ,

just Monel Wound, loop end .. 11/41; Medium light, G-161ML

gages 11 14 25 41
You are right. They started making them some time in the 1930's. I have an old set somewhere.

westsideryan
Oct-31-2014, 2:19pm
Looks like Steve's string aren't round core and pure nickel. Oh well!

Hudmister
Oct-31-2014, 2:55pm
I know that a few companies make them for guitar and I could just neuter a couple of sets of those, but that could get a bit pricy and I think that I would be stuck with some very unconventional string gauges!

-Ryan

I have neutered two sets of strings for 12-string guitar with great success. If economy is not an issue then there are some interesting possibilities with the variety of strings available for 12-string guitar.

westsideryan
Oct-31-2014, 3:29pm
I have neutered two sets of strings for 12-string guitar with great success. If economy is not an issue then there are some interesting possibilities with the variety of strings available for 12-string guitar.
I must admit that I didn't even think of looking at 12 string sets. I actually have some for some reason (never owned a 12 string) so I'll have to dig them out and I'll also poke around online.

Jim Garber
Oct-31-2014, 3:54pm
I am just curious. I assume we are talking mainly about the wound strings... but what metal is the nickel plated to on these plated strings?

Also, I wonder, esp for you folks who do change strings a lot, whether it would be worth it, assuming there is a manufacturer making what you like, to order custom sets of the proper gauges. I would think it might be worth inquiring instead of spending lots of money and buying strings gauges you don't need. It is worth a shot. I bet Newtone or DR would do it.

westsideryan
Oct-31-2014, 4:45pm
I am just curious. I assume we are talking mainly about the wound strings... but what metal is the nickel plated to on these plated strings?

Also, I wonder, esp for you folks who do change strings a lot, whether it would be worth it, assuming there is a manufacturer making what you like, to order custom sets of the proper gauges. I would think it might be worth inquiring instead of spending lots of money and buying strings gauges you don't need. It is worth a shot. I bet Newtone or DR would do it.

The usual seems to be nickel plated steel wrap wire. These normally sound brighter to me than a "pure nickel" wrap wire. I have found the sound of "pure nickel" to be warmer and sweeter.

I am pretty sure that Newtone won't as they don't have the materials (well maybe they would if I purchased enough strings to justify them purchasing a spool of "pure nickel" wire?) and DR hasn't gotten back to me yet. Also, I haven't tried "pure nickel" round core strings on a mando yet. Most places require a minimum order for custom jobs and there is always the chance that I won't like them so I like to hold off committing to a custom order of strings until I find out.

Jim Garber
Oct-31-2014, 5:19pm
I would think that if you are using existing gauges already that they can easily sell you a dozen or so sets. Many retail outlets package their own strings from the manufacturers and prob do order some but it could be worth it to ask.

Or if there are others here who want such a thing you could get enough folks to do a bulk order.

pops1
Nov-02-2014, 11:55pm
If you have GHS dealer that you know they have been very good about me ordering custom sets, sometimes loop and ball ends both for the same set. They used to make you up one custom set, but now they require a dozen. Mix and match any string they make into a set to fit to your gauge preference. I am currently using their White Bronze guitar strings and cutting the balls off. These are great strings and i am hoping they will make them in loop end for the mandolin. So i order loop ends for the E and A and ball ends (that all i can get) for the D and G. Have done this for customers for decades and they have always been very good about accommodating me. I would imagine most companys would do the same, but i order straight from GHS and not from an intermediary company.

westsideryan
Nov-03-2014, 12:36am
If you have GHS dealer that you know they have been very good about me ordering custom sets, sometimes loop and ball ends both for the same set. They used to make you up one custom set, but now they require a dozen. Mix and match any string they make into a set to fit to your gauge preference. I am currently using their White Bronze guitar strings and cutting the balls off. These are great strings and i am hoping they will make them in loop end for the mandolin. So i order loop ends for the E and A and ball ends (that all i can get) for the D and G. Have done this for customers for decades and they have always been very good about accommodating me. I would imagine most companys would do the same, but i order straight from GHS and not from an intermediary company.

I've emailed GHS and they will do the same for me but if I am remembering right (I've been looking at so many strings lately!), they actually don't make certain gauges (I think that .040 is on of them) so I'd end up going a little higher or lower.

Anyway, I'd like to try out some before I commit to a big order.
I'll have to look through the Harris Teller and Midco catalogs and see if they carry GHS. I seem to remember GHS wanting to require shops to become dealers and deal directly them instead of purchasing through distributors, so I guess I'll have to look into that.

pops1
Nov-03-2014, 9:34am
If you order singles from ghs you can get one of strings as long as they make it, it is only for made up sets they require a dozen. As far as White Bronze the core of the 42 (yes they don't make a 40) , but the core of the 42 is smaller slightly than the core of the 40 phosphor bronze so while it is a larger string it will have slightly less tension. I am using a 38 now, but have gotten a couple of 42's to try on the next set. The 38 sounds great, but is lighter than i usually use and am anxious to try the 42.

westsideryan
Nov-03-2014, 10:21am
If you order singles from ghs you can get one of strings as long as they make it, it is only for made up sets they require a dozen. As far as White Bronze the core of the 42 (yes they don't make a 40) , but the core of the 42 is smaller slightly than the core of the 40 phosphor bronze so while it is a larger string it will have slightly less tension. I am using a 38 now, but have gotten a couple of 42's to try on the next set. The 38 sounds great, but is lighter than i usually use and am anxious to try the 42.

I just remembered that GHS makes "pure nickel" and a round core but not on the same string. So I'll have to wait for DR to get back to me. I might end up ordering from GHS down the line so it is still good information to have.