PDA

View Full Version : Just found: Footage of Tony Rice Unit. Winterhawk '92

zak borden
Oct-27-2014, 2:08pm
I'm in the process of transferring and uploading some old footage of Winterhawk (now Grey Fox) Festival. I was 21 and had just picked up the mandolin. This marked the point of no return for me. I fell helplessly in love and all I could think is: "I wanna do THAT someday!" Vid's a bit glitchy but ok sound and captures this classic era.

Jimmy Gaudreau killin' it on the mandolin. Ron Thomason from Dry Branch on the hankerchiff. :)

More on the way. Including Hot Rize, more John Hartford, Bela, etc.

Subscribe here. (https://www.youtube.com/user/songszak8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9nU0DhpcC0&list=PL0tmy3P6-VqYcymhg_DNo_62JbCGL9BFX&index=2

Hudmister
Oct-27-2014, 3:06pm
The guy clowning around and putting the scarf over Jimmy's eyes, you can tell it really pissed him off, but he kept picking without missing a lick. Tony Rice knows how to wear a tie. Thanks for the post.

AlanN
Oct-27-2014, 3:31pm
All in their primo prime. Thanks for that!

coletrickle
Oct-27-2014, 4:58pm
Was that Wyatt off camera on the first guitar break? I always feel like Wyatt never got his due as a great flatpicker...he is amazing. I love Tony's playing, but Wyatt is top notch.

Denny Gies
Oct-27-2014, 5:16pm
Durn, them boys can pick.

zak borden
Oct-27-2014, 7:26pm
Was that Wyatt off camera on the first guitar break? I always feel like Wyatt never got his due as a great flatpicker...he is amazing. I love Tony's playing, but Wyatt is top notch.

Yup that was Wyatt. And yes, agreed. He completely crushes that break. I musta cut him out because I was so lost in the performance...I sorta just forgot about the camera.

Ray(T)
Oct-28-2014, 12:39pm
Do all US audiences wander around, chat to themselves and ignore the act on stage etc? Its just something I've noticed on US videos and its something which tends not to happen in the UK.

Toni Schula
Oct-28-2014, 12:51pm
And I still wanna do THAT someday! :)

Michael Weaver
Oct-28-2014, 12:55pm
Do all US audiences wander around, chat to themselves and ignore the act on stage etc? Its just something I've noticed on US videos and its something which tends not to happen in the UK.

Yup sure do. I have been to so many concerts and don't remember any of them.

Mark Wilson
Oct-28-2014, 1:24pm
Wow. The sound quality is pretty decent on that. Very nice! thx

mandobassman
Oct-28-2014, 1:57pm
That is great stuff. It took me a while to realize that the video and audio are not synced. The audio is a couple of seconds behind the video. Great to watch anyway. I agree with Hudmister that Jimmy wasn't amused.

Dobe
Oct-28-2014, 5:29pm

Yep, I thought it was Tony till I looked back at the video.

Perry
Oct-28-2014, 5:52pm
that's a primo post! Tony is ripping it up so is Ricky...thanks