PDA

View Full Version : How good is the Kentucky KM-340S ?

kkmm
Oct-26-2014, 4:52pm
Kentucky mandolins appear to be the most recommended low cost mandolins in this forum. I am wondering if the KM-340S is at least as good as the KM-150.
And what years the KM-340S was produced ?

pheffernan
Oct-26-2014, 6:04pm
The specs have changed throughout the years, but I'd choose a current KM-150 with its solid maple back and sides over the 340s which most likely has a laminated back and sides.

kkmm
Oct-26-2014, 8:13pm
Thanks for the info, I was bidding on one of these on eBay thinking 340 would be better than 140 and kind of guess it's not what I wanted. It's good that someone overbid me.

Folkmusician.com
Oct-26-2014, 9:39pm
The current KM-150 has better tone than the KM-340S. The 340s has a solid top with laminated back and sides and is actually similar to the older KM-150 (pre-2012). Not a bad mandolin, but we are in a time where almost everything has been steadily improving in quality.

I am not sure of the year the KM-340s was phased out. Possibly 2007 as there was a big change in all of the models that year.

kkmm
Oct-27-2014, 9:34am
This changes my view about the KM-150 model. I always though that a higher model number represents a better one.

Twilo123
Oct-27-2014, 11:47pm
i'm curious what people think of this model. it is all solid also and cheaper ($179). i picked one up and so far i like it for a couch model.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/michael-kelly-solid-a-style-mandolin

Folkmusician.com
Oct-30-2014, 12:07am
I always though that a higher model number represents a better one.

Much of this depends on the year of the mandolin. The current Kentucky Mandolins are much better than any from the past with the exception of some of the Japanese made models.

i'm curious what people think of this model. it is all solid also and cheaper ($179). i picked one up and so far i like it for a couch model.

The A-solid is not a bad mando at all. These are carved and have grover tuners. That is a steal at that price! If it is as shown, that is the older model that hasn't been available for a while now. I am not sure why they have them.

multidon
Oct-30-2014, 7:53am
Robert, Musician's Friend and Guitar Center both make deals with manufacturers to clear out excess inventory of discontinued models. I have even seen them do this with Gibson and Fender electric guitars. No doubt this is where these MKs come from. The instrument manufacturers see places like MF and GC as good places to dump the excess because they can solve their inventory problems in one stroke.

Seems like a good deal at first glance but they won't be set up of course. So anyone who buys one will have to keep that in mind. As usual money is better spent buying something set up by someone who knows how.

In my opinion the trend of people buying the cheapest mandolin they can find without regard to set up will eventually kill off interest in mandolin as thousands of beginners give up in frustration.

acousticphd
Oct-31-2014, 12:53pm
[QUOTE=kkmm;1336621]Kentucky mandolins appear to be the most recommended low cost mandolins in this forum. I am wondering if the KM-340S is at least as good as the KM-150.
And what years the KM-340S was produced ?[/QUOTE

It's not really a question of "as good as"; they have several differences that might (or might not) matter to you). And, as noted above it depends on the what "era" you're talking about. Models called 150(S) and 340(S) have been around since 2000 at least. At a given pricepoint, I would tend to go for all-solid wood. But a solid top is probably getting you ~90% of the tone of all-solid. The main differences between the current KY 150 model and the 250 or 340/350/380 series seem to be wider, radiused FB, and definitely better quality tuners, on the higher-numbered series. Having had both an older 150S and then a 380S, I would recommend going for the best quality model you can afford.

lenf12
Nov-01-2014, 9:46am
I have a KM-340S with a solid top, probably laminated back and sides. I agree that a solid top will get you pretty close to the sound of a good all solid wood mandolin. I really enjoy playing this mandolin in an amplified Americana type setting on Saturday afternoons (yay, that's today!!). It has a very slim and fast neck which suits my smaller hands. What I would like clarified is, it's stated above by Folkmusician.com that the solid A models are "carved". My KM-340S appears to be pressed wood, not carved. There is no real recurve as on a carved top, just a consistent dome from midpoint to the edges typical of steam pressed tops. How much of a tonal difference does this make? I paid $200 for the mandolin a few years back and I've certainly gotten my money's worth out it and I still enjoy playing it with a band. I have a jjbelectronics.com twin headed piezo pickup mounted to the top for amplification so the tone will be "compromised" by running it thru a PA. It serves a "specialized" purpose for me. Unplugged I would always use one of my Gibsons.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL