PDA

View Full Version : Used Mandolin purchase - Thoughts?

AcousticBuckeye
Oct-21-2014, 10:00pm
All,

I just purchased a used Kentucky KM-630 off ebay and I'm curious what your thoughts are given the pictures and description. A link to the auction and pictures is below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321548438380

I've been playing the hell out of KM-150 and was looking for an F style. For some reason this mandolin grabbed my attention. I offered a low offer and it was accepted.

The seller is the original buyer and the mandolin still has the original strings. I'm real curious as to your thoughts on the finish cracks. Given there location they look like simple finish cracks right? Any info or thoughts you have would be appreciated.

I'll post pics after it's received which should be tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks

AB

kkmm
Oct-21-2014, 10:28pm
Hmm... the crack is right at the neck joint, so it could be just the finish crack, but it could be a weak joint. You may be able to check by slipping a thin rasor thru the crack. If it stop at the surface, that's good news, if it goes deeper, there may be joint separation. But this could be fixed quite easily with HHG and good clamping. I had one instrument with finish crack like that on the back, right at the joint line, I can see the little gap in the wood. I fixed it with HHG and clamping. The separation is no longer there but the finish crack remains visible. How old is this mandolin ? If you pay a low price for it, it's a good bargain anyway. I just missed one KM-630 Kentucky by just 2.50$ !!! The important thing is for you to love playing it.

allenhopkins
Oct-21-2014, 11:50pm
If you got it for a "best offer" under $450 buy-it-now, you got it for a reasonable price. Seller seemed quite honest in its description, said (s)he would take it back if not as described. You could take it to repair tech and get the "finish crack" analyzed, see if the assessment is the same as the seller's. If not -- if there's more serious problems -- seller says to send it back.

Korean-made is generally a plus over the earlier Chinese-made KM's; solid top, laminated back and sides. Let us know your initial reaction when it arrives.

roysboy
Oct-22-2014, 1:26am
Not sure how old your km150 is but I'd be surprised if the tone in the km 630 is better . I played a couple of the 630's prior to stumbling upon my km 150 and wasn't all that impressed . Then again , they were the Chinese-built models .

Folkmusician.com
Oct-22-2014, 7:12am
I don't see anything that would cause alarm. If the neck is straight, you should be fine. :)

Bill Snyder
Oct-22-2014, 8:13am
Purchased in 1996 and still has the original strings.
As for the cracks I suspect that the lister is correct and they are finish cracks and not structural, but you can not really tell from a photo.

bart mcneil
Oct-22-2014, 8:43am
If it has been under tension during its life it is likely a more significant crack would have developed by now, if it is in fact a crack. I suspect you are in fine shape with it as is.

Pick&Grin
Oct-26-2014, 2:48pm
I can't speak to well to the structure, but I'm currently playing a KM-630 from that same period: its treated me very well! Great feel with a low action and good volume. I'm now looking to upgrade, but will surely keep my Kentucky. Enjoy!

Pick&Grin
Nov-02-2014, 4:16pm
Update: If this is still useful, AcousticBuckeye, I have a very similar crack on my KM-630 between the binding and the fretboard. This makes me wonder if it's a seam of sorts, and the line that goes up on yours is a resulting finish crack (?).