PDA

View Full Version : B&J Mele Mandolin?

MarkusSpiel
Oct-17-2014, 5:21am
Hello everyone!

I am new here and I would like to ask if someone has information about this mandolin:

B&J Mele
The seller wrote that it was build 1930-1940. Is that right?

I bought it on ebay for 150 Euro(190 dollar). It sounds ok.

Thanks!

MikeEdgerton
Oct-17-2014, 8:35am
B&J (Buegeleisen and Jacobson) was a distributor in the New York City area. They didn't manufacture anything, they had them built by others and labeled with their name. Yours was probably built in Chicago, Illinois by either Harmony or Regal in the time frame you've mentioned, perhaps even a few years earlier. Are there any numbers stamped inside the mandolin that you can see?

MarkusSpiel
Oct-19-2014, 2:31pm
Sadly I canīt find any number or a stamp! Did you know if somebody old catalog?

Jim Garber
Oct-19-2014, 9:09pm
I had a catalog ut I can't seem to find it. In the meantime it is best to post a clearer photo. Sometimes details like the shape of the f-holes and the headstock can give us some hints as to the maker. I took your photo and lightened it to see the f-holes better.

MarkusSpiel
Oct-20-2014, 8:58am
I took a few pictures. Sadly the brigde push the top down and donīt sounds as good as I thought...

MikeEdgerton
Oct-20-2014, 9:09am
The headstock and f-holes are telling me this is a Regal built instrument. The color is right as is the shape. I suspect that's who built it. There are examples of known Regal and Kay instruments with the B&J label on them. I don't think it's a Kay.