PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this mandolin!

LeviG
Oct-17-2014, 1:07am
Just received it. About to fix her up. No markings or stickers anywhere. Looks like the headstock logo has been removed. Any ideas what it is and the value? Thanks!

MikeEdgerton
Oct-17-2014, 8:43am
It's one of these (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?79118-Key-Brand-Info). They were brought in under dozens of brand names and many with no brand name at all. they regularly fail to sell on eBay for less than a hundred dollars.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-17-2014, 8:46am
I should note that yours has a case, that makes it a little more attractive.

jim simpson
Oct-17-2014, 9:16am
zero fret

Tobin
Oct-17-2014, 11:51am
Judging by the wear on the tailpiece screw heads, and the existence of an unfilled hole in the tailblock (peeking out next to the tailpiece), it looks like that tailpiece is either a replacement, or has been moved from its original location. And judging by the fact that at least one of the screws was put in at an angle, it was apparently done by an amateur.

Not that this sheds any light on the maker, but I did find it curious. Wonder what the story was there.

MikeEdgerton
Oct-17-2014, 12:30pm
That is the original tailpiece and to be truthful, it could have come from the factory that way. These aren't stellar instruments.

Eddie Sheehy
Oct-17-2014, 1:41pm
It has a zero fret... and zero value...

Colin Lindsay
Oct-18-2014, 6:07am
It has a zero fret... and zero value...

I beg to differ, sir - no instrument ever has zero value. This one may someday be picked up by an enthusiast with little spare cash and played to destruction… the love, care and attention it will receive from someone without the money to buy a Gibson or Fylde will be more than many of these venerable instruments ever receive. The player may learn so much on it that he will go on to greater things, and may one day even feel up to posting on a forum such as this. That sort of opportunity for a penniless teenager, for example, is priceless.
Some day I’ll tell you about my first guitar… :)

Jake Wildwood
Oct-18-2014, 2:26pm
All I can say is: I toss these in the freebie pile for partser fellows locally when they're traded in. The necks are attached with 2 dowels that inevitably break... and the rest of the build is equally quality. Nyuck nyuck.