PDA

View Full Version : what finish to apply?

Steve VandeWater
Oct-14-2014, 6:43pm
I bought a used washburn jethro burns. Sounds and plays great but someone had begun sanding the finish on top and went all the way to the wood in places, making it look like hell. I decided to strip the entire top to bare wood and apply new stain and finish. I was amazed at how thick the poly was. I can't believe it sounded as good as it did. I think with something much thinner it will sound even better. I'm not a fan of glossy finishes and want something more matte and antique-looking. What would you all suggest? Lacquer, varnish, shellac, more polyurethane?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

David Newton
Oct-14-2014, 9:29pm
Tru-oil used to be the go-to finish for a job like yours, I think the wipe-on poly finishes are gaining ground in that arena.
I myself use shellac for everything, but the learning curve is a bit steep, and just getting the right stuff is troublesome.

Marty Jacobson
Oct-14-2014, 10:57pm
What are you comfortable working with? I think nitro lacquer and Trans-Tint dyes are probably the closest analog to your work with concrete finishes. You can use alcohol to thin the trans-tint for dying, then seal with Zinnser SealCoat shellac and finish with several coats of nitro lacquer. Or you can seal with several coats of clear and spray toned coats of lacquer, followed by several coats of clear lacquer, if you have spray equipment.

darrylicshon
Oct-14-2014, 10:59pm
I would stain it the shape you want then a very light coat of Lacquer or poly

High Lonesome Valley
Oct-15-2014, 2:31pm
I always like french polishing on an instrument that sounds great when it's unfinished.

kkmm
Oct-15-2014, 6:05pm
the wipe-on poly finishes are gaining ground in that arena.
Is this the wipe-on polyurethane found in Home Depot ???
This is the first time I heard about wipe-on poly for instrument finishing.

Steve VandeWater
Oct-15-2014, 7:16pm
As I mentioned, I don't want a glossy finish, so the French polishing probably wont be happening. I want a matte finish that hopefully will look a bit old and distressed. A very thin finish that will let the top vibrate is what I'm after.

multidon
Oct-15-2014, 8:29pm
Behlen Master Gel is an oil based wipe on poly finish that I have used on several projects. It is one of the most goof proof finishes I have ever used. Simple as can be. Wipe it on. I usually make a "tampon", a smaller cloth wrapped in a larger one. Let dry several hours. Steel wool then another coat. Repeat until you get the look you want. 3 or four coats usually sufficient.

Same procedure works well for Tru Oil but let coats cure overnight or even better 24 hours.

Some use Watco Danish Oil with good results. It is actually a hybrid wiping varnish. It is available from the big box hardware stores. Homer Formby Tung Oil Finish is similar. It is a wiping varnish with little if any actual tung oil.

Jim Adwell
Oct-15-2014, 8:29pm
Is this the wipe-on polyurethane found in Home Depot ???
This is the first time I heard about wipe-on poly for instrument finishing.

I've been using Minwax satin wipe-on polyurethane, from Lowes. Easy and fast, and it looks very nice. They also make it in glossy. I first heard about using it for instruments from a guitar builder.

Jim Adwell
Oct-15-2014, 8:40pm
Some use Watco Danish Oil with good results. It is actually a hybrid wiping varnish. It is available from the big box hardware stores. Homer Formby Tung Oil Finish is similar. It is a wiping varnish with little if any actual tung oil.

I've used both of these. Watco Danish oil doesn't build up on the surface, it takes quite a while to dry completely and smells rather bad until it does. The Formby tung oil finish is okay, but requires a bit more leveling than wipe-on poly and dries slower. And there's very little tung oil in it. I used to use pure tung oil with some japan drier and a little thinner for ukuleles years ago which was a better looking finish than the Formby stuff and easier to use too. Unfortunately pure tung oil is pretty expensive now, if you can even find it.

testore
Oct-15-2014, 9:20pm
Do you have a pic?

Steve VandeWater
Oct-16-2014, 6:56am
Do you have a pic?

Here are several "before" pics. Hopefully the "afters" will knock your socks off. The aftermarket cast brass tailpiece is pretty cool I think. I'm giving it a brushed out finish.
I'm only doing the top of the instrument. The sides and back, and neck are fine for me. A previous owner has reduced the gloss by possibly rubbing it with steel wool. Still somewhat shiny but not a mirror finish. Not bad for $175 INCLUDING a very nice hardshell case! As I mentioned before, sounded great even when covered by excessively thick poly. Can't wait to hear it after I'm done.124991

Rick Lindstrom
Oct-16-2014, 8:00am
"Shellac" doesn't necessarily mean "french polish". I used shellac on a mandolin I built because I wanted a thin, easy to apply and easy to renew finish. I just mixed a light cut of shellac (probably about a 1 lb. cut), and began wiping coats onto the mando until I built a film that I thought was thick enough. Then I rubbed it out with ScotchBrite to get a sort of matte/ semigloss effect. No way is it french polish, although there is a small learning curve involve in just wiping shellac on. No big deal though, and if you make a mistake, wipe it back off with alcohol.

It worked just fine, and I have a minimal finish film that will be easy to renew if ever necessary. Just wipe on more shellac and rub out when dry. No special equipment required- just old t-shirts :)

ianbarton
Oct-16-2014, 9:04am
I have no idea about what finishes are good for instruments (but im really enjoying learning on this thread!), and maybe im a bit untraditional or crazy, but i kinda like how the lighter tone follows the arch of the scroll in your "before" picture...(granted I know that that is just some dude sanding through the finish and screwing it up, but maybe it could look cool on purpose?) has anyone seen a sunburst that flows into the scroll? if so id love to see a picture! If and when i give building a shot, i may consider that.

Steve VandeWater
Oct-31-2014, 10:04am
Well, I finished it! I decided on a spray on satin polyurethane from Varathane. I applied about 3 very light coats, then finished it off with a light buff with a green Scotchbrite finishing pad. In all, I'm very satisfied with the results. It weighs a LOT less and has a bit of a rustic/vintage look to it. Sounds a lot better now too. I'm including the "after" pics here. The befores are farther up in the thread.

Phil Goodson
Nov-03-2014, 11:13pm
Good job! I like it!:)