PDA

View Full Version : 86 Carlson signed Flatiron  F5

Jshankle
Mar-24-2005, 1:01pm
Hi Folks,
In the interest of potentially upgrading one day, my teacher has asked me to inquire... His mandolin is in great condition, with a highly figured back and sides - X bracing as well. I play this one a lot and it is a great axe.
Any ballpark estimates? Thanks in advance....

Steven Stone
Mar-24-2005, 2:19pm
Depending on condition I'd say a minimum of $3,500 and a maximum of $5,000. I paid $4,500 for my '87 Flatiron Artist in mint condition. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

AlanN
Mar-24-2005, 2:22pm
And to give some persepctive, I bought a Flatiron F-5 Artist new in 1985 for $1,995.

Jshankle
Mar-24-2005, 3:43pm
AlanN,
I think that's about what Gus paid for it back then as well.
I'll post pics after the lesson this Sunday.

AlanN
Mar-24-2005, 4:03pm
Mine was 85100106, signed by Steve Carlson. Good mandolin, a bit heavy and thick, but strong tone.

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-24-2005, 5:29pm
There was a Weber signed Flatiron F5 Artist that sold here on the cafe recently for $2,800. That was a good deal.

El Rey del Mando
Mar-24-2005, 7:35pm
Steve,I believe,IMHO,that,in the not too distant future,that they will be worth much more than you paid.You could sell some of the old flattys for the sound alone,If the right person hears it.

John

Steven Stone
Mar-24-2005, 7:51pm
[in the not too distant future,that they will be worth much more than you paid.You could sell some of the old flattys for the sound alone,If the right person hears it. ]

John, I think you are right, which is why, when I thought about selling mine, I soon changed my mind. Chad Fadely almost bought it, but we could quite come to terms, and this was when he had his Gil before the drop.

Most Flatirons of similar vintage (mine is #78) tend to have faded or mottled sunbursts, but mine is quite strong with no signs of fading.

As to Alan N's comments about his flatiron being heavy and thick, mine is comparible to my Hilburn and Wiens in terms of weight and plate thickness.

IMHO early flatiron Fs should command prices equivelent to Givens Fs, but in today's wacky market, they don't, at least not yet anyway. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Charlie Ayers
Mar-26-2005, 8:27am
A couple of years ago I sold my '84 Carlson Flatiron F5 for $3800. You'll see them advertised for as high as $4300, on Ebay, and in instrument shops.

Charlie

Steven Stone
Mar-26-2005, 11:20am
Intermountain Guitar and Banjo have an '89 Artist F on their website for $4900. They call it the "Best-sounding one"

I'll have to ask the boys about that..... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

woodysny
Mar-26-2005, 2:43pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif My near-mint 87 Carlson (#181) is a tremendous mandolin. Beautiful top and powerful sound with great tone. The market for these mandolins may be under 5K, but mine is not going anywhere anytime soon. It does not seem heavy or thick to me. I would recommend anyone who has one of these pre-Gibson Flatirons should strongly consider keeping it.

Jshankle
Mar-26-2005, 5:32pm
Thanks to everybody for their very informative responses!

Tune in tomorrow afternoon for some pics!

mandopete
Mar-26-2005, 5:55pm
...and for some more perspective, I bought a Bruce Weber signed F5 in 1995 for $2,900 from Mandolin Brothers. #This was one of the last ones out of Montana.

I'm curious as to how others view the difference between the Carlson and Weber Flatirons. #I have played some killer Carlson Flatirons and I understand there may be a bit of a premium for these.

fatt-dad
Mar-26-2005, 7:41pm
The first "real" bluegrass-style mandolin that I bought (18 years prior I had stumbled on a Gibson A3) was a 1984 Carlson-signed Flatiron A5-1. I bought it from Gruhn two years ago for just under $1,200.00 and have subsequently invested another $200.00 on a new nut and a radius fretboard. It is just a great mandolin and came with a real nice Loar-style case. I have begun to notice that the market for this mandolin may be getting close to $2,000.00, but who knows/cares - I ain't selling it. I would only imagine with a nice strap hanger, you would really have something!

f-d

Jshankle
Mar-27-2005, 5:18pm
Okay, let's try to post some pics... we'll start with the front.

Jshankle
Mar-27-2005, 5:21pm
okay, that seems to work. here's the back...

Jshankle
Mar-27-2005, 5:23pm
Close up on back..

Jshankle
Mar-27-2005, 5:24pm
Neck and side view...

Jshankle
Mar-27-2005, 5:25pm
Close up on scroll...

Jshankle
Mar-27-2005, 5:27pm
...and the last view.

Jshankle
Mar-27-2005, 5:30pm
So thanks for looking! Hopefully the pics will help give you an idea on what the mando is like. Except for the finish wearing off a little right underneath the E strings, she is in very good shape and sounds awesome.

jasona
Mar-27-2005, 5:42pm
beautiful!

Ken Berner
Mar-27-2005, 6:47pm
Isn't that a gorgeous mandolin? Every time I see a pre-Gibson Flatiron for sale, I salivate. The only one I have played is an '84 A5-2, which had an impressive voice and colored similar to these pictures. I own two later models, a '92 F5 Artist (Weber) and a '93 A5 Artist (Carlson) that are outstanding instruments in every regard. The only Givens (A) I have played was a '70s model, and it had nothing on the Flatirons I have played. The rising prices, I feel, are justifiable considering they were built under the ownership and direction of Gibson. Should the Flatiron mandolins not be of equal quality, therefore of equal value? I welcome your comments, gentlemen.

El Rey del Mando
Mar-28-2005, 9:31am
Jonathan,As Marlon Brando said,"A man who dosen't spend time with his mando,can never really be a man".What a beauty,I'm sure you will spend lots of time with that.Oh,I'm not sure that what Brando said was true,Just wanted to get a little laugh.

John

woodysny
Mar-28-2005, 10:03am
Looks just like my '87. Someone is going to get a great mandolin when they buy this beauty!

Jshankle
Mar-28-2005, 10:27am
John, I have had the good fortune to be able to play this mando quite a bit... Gus has been nice enough to let me play this one every time I come up for a lesson! What a guy, easily the best teacher in the Chicago area!

Bill Van Liere
Mar-30-2005, 6:51pm
My 88 F5 Master recently appraised for $3750.00 at Elderly. I thought that was low as this instrument is in excellent condition. No problem, I'll just keep it.

Ken Berner
Mar-30-2005, 8:56pm
Hi Bill, That quote is very low! Any Montana-built Flatiron Master Model in good condition ought to be worth between $4.000 and $5,000; they should be worth as much as any Gibson of that era. #I hope Steven Stone weighs in on this one, as he seems to have a real good handle on Flatiron values! You have a fine mandolin there and I know you won't give it away.

Bill Van Liere
Mar-31-2005, 7:25pm
If I decide to sell it you'll be my first call Ken

Ken Berner
Apr-01-2005, 10:25am
You are most kind, Bill. As soon as Mrs. B gives me the OK (probably as soon as hell freezes over), I'll give you a shout. I am down to three mandolins (2 Flatiron Artists and a Weber Beartooth), so I am in dire need of another in that family.

Bill Van Liere
Apr-01-2005, 3:34pm
Maybe you could give it to Mrs. B as gift.

rnjl
Apr-09-2005, 8:00pm
What's interesting to me- as an early 80's Carlson A model owner- is how the neck shape seems to have evolved (well, I think devolved) sometime in the mid-80's. My A5 has a very similar burnt orange, very flamey color, but the neck is round , like the letter "c".

I like that shape WAY better than a Gibsonesque "v", but to each her own.

Neal