PDA

View Full Version : Balsam Range--Burning Georgia Down

billhay4
Oct-03-2014, 10:36am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpVIOxBhUMk
That boy can make that Kentucky talk. Nice tune.
I looked again and I'm not sure it's a Kentucky. Anyone know?
Bill

Russ Jordan
Oct-03-2014, 11:19am
Think it is Metcalf, builder in Morganton NC

Those boys had a big night at IBMA awards, and very deserving!

billhay4
Oct-03-2014, 11:21am
Thanks, Russ,
Nice sounding instrument. Good group.
Bill

Dick Tynan
Oct-03-2014, 4:41pm
When I saw them a while back. He was playing a Stiver.

OldSausage
Oct-03-2014, 5:25pm
At the end it seemed like they went into EMD.

DataNick
Oct-04-2014, 2:38am
Pretty sure Darren Nicholson plays believe it or not, a JBovier F5 Special...

45ACP-GDLF5
Oct-04-2014, 2:41am
He's been playing "The Metcalfe" for over a year now....

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-04-2014, 2:57am
Nick - I read somewhere a while back that he did indeed play a J.Bovier mandolin. It's most likely that he has 2 or 3 mandolins that he can take his pick of - whatever,he's a good player & Balsam Range are a terrific band - ''Last Train to Kittyhawk'' is one of my favourites,
Ivan

Jonathan James
Oct-04-2014, 5:52am
And congrats to their lead singer -- Buddy Melton -- who won "Male Vocalist of the Year" FANTASTIC singer and very deserving!

outsidenote
Oct-04-2014, 7:58am
I have seen Balsam Range several times at Merlefest and their popularity has grown rapidly. One of the times early on Darren Nicholson was indeed playing a J Bovier. I have really enjoyed them since I first heard them. They seem to have a very tasteful mix of modern and traditional bluegrass. Its very pleasing to see them do well.

Timbofood
Oct-04-2014, 2:28pm
Couldn't get the thing to open so, I went to YouTube and checked out a couple more tunes from them. Hot band! Would love to see them.

tburcham
Oct-05-2014, 9:54am
They are my new "favorite Bluegrass band." Their latest CD " Five" is spectacular! "From a Georgia Battlefield" is my favorite track, but all of the songs on this Album are great. These guys have really, really tight harmony!

tburcham
Oct-05-2014, 10:20am
How about this one....Ruby!
http://youtu.be/0j06J1IDZis

jimj
Oct-05-2014, 4:34pm
I got a wide river to cross is my favorite, and I have all their music and have met all of them.
Great group!

wmaness
Oct-06-2014, 5:20am
I heard them in Raleigh this past weekend at wide open bluegrass. I spoke with Darren and ask him what kind of mandolin he was playing. He said it is a Metcalfe. Balsam Range sounded fantastic. The Lonesome River Band was great too, as many other groups. Good times!!!