PDA

View Full Version : Echo Temple

Carl Robin
Oct-02-2014, 8:12am
I was in Sweden last month with my mandolin, and got the chance to go to a local attraction outside of Växjö. It's the Teleborg watertower, also called the echo temple. The under side of the water tower is a concrete dome that creates an amazing echo-ey space. They have a round fenced off area in the middle that you can walk into. We were there in the middle of the day, and had the place to ourselves (unfortunately). The acoustics were fun to play with.

Mark Wilson
Oct-02-2014, 8:54am
'Sounds' like fun! I wonder if anyone has recorded a reverb impulse file in it. I'll be on the lookout for it.

There was a 200' X 20' tile lined hallway in the last building I worked in and when I was alone in it - I'd impulsively sing to enjoy the echo effect. Always wondered if a vocal recording there would sound as cool or just weird.

Carl Robin
Oct-02-2014, 6:09pm
The echo is rapid, for percussive sounds, and more like an amplifier for more sustained sounds. A unique experience.

Frank Russell
Oct-03-2014, 2:49pm
That's pretty cool. Not far from where I live, in the high desert uphill from me, there's a man-made structure called the Integratron, which is supposed to have some weird magnetic energy that emanates from underground, so it attracts lots of crystal hippies and the like. The fascinating thing is that the guy that built it made it sonically unique, and I've always wanted to go in there and play a nice sounding mandolin. It was featured years ago on Anthony Bourdain's show. Mostly they do "sonic healing" type New Age stuff in there, but maybe they'd let me rent it for an hour. Frank.

Grommet
Oct-04-2014, 1:16am
Friends and I chanted Om in the shower a few times to groove on the echos, but that was many decades ago. Hi from Tempe Carl.

Scott

Carl Robin
Oct-04-2014, 7:17am
Friends and I chanted Om in the shower a few times to groove on the echos, but that was many decades ago. Hi from Tempe Carl.

Scott
There must be a little more to that story ;) . Hello to you Scott.

Carl Robin
Oct-04-2014, 7:28am
'Sounds' like fun! I wonder if anyone has recorded a reverb impulse file in it. I'll be on the lookout for it.

There was a 200' X 20' tile lined hallway in the last building I worked in and when I was alone in it - I'd impulsively sing to enjoy the echo effect. Always wondered if a vocal recording there would sound as cool or just weird.
Please share if you find a recording. I always love to play in canyons, or tunnels. Being able to capture the sound on a recording would be difficult. But may be possible.

Carl Robin
Oct-04-2014, 7:32am
That's pretty cool. Not far from where I live, in the high desert uphill from me, there's a man-made structure called the Integratron, which is supposed to have some weird magnetic energy that emanates from underground, so it attracts lots of crystal hippies and the like. The fascinating thing is that the guy that built it made it sonically unique, and I've always wanted to go in there and play a nice sounding mandolin. It was featured years ago on Anthony Bourdain's show. Mostly they do "sonic healing" type New Age stuff in there, but maybe they'd let me rent it for an hour. Frank.
You should try it, Frank. Acoustics can be inspiring.

darrylicshon
Oct-04-2014, 4:19pm
i use to take my guitar to red river gorge and play in some natural amphitheaters , always sounded great