PDA

View Full Version : Howard Morris A5 (osage back)

Kevin Briggs
Oct-01-2014, 8:49am
Hi, Everyone:

Check out my Morris A5 in action. This is an original song by my band, The Feats of Strength:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfWzrSTfN6Q&feature=youtu.be

BeachMando
Oct-01-2014, 10:37am
Great tune.

I have been giving the Morris A models moving through the classifieds a long look, so I appreciated the demo too!

Kevin Briggs
Oct-11-2014, 6:32am
Great tune.

I have been giving the Morris A models moving through the classifieds a long look, so I appreciated the demo too!

Thanks, BeachMando:

I have been thoroughly impressed with my Morris A5. I bought it because I wanted annAmerican made mandolin but did not want to spend a fortune. My Morris has a solid, woody tone, good volume, and really easy playability. It is a great mandolin.

Glad you like "Waterspout" too!

Sincerely,
Kevin

Northwest Steve
Oct-11-2014, 1:17pm
I live about 3 hours from Mr. Morris and would like to meet him and play a couple of his mandolins. Seems like a nice guy and appears to build a nice mandolin.

I really liked the video. The setting, group, music and mandolin were all great.

Mandobart
Oct-11-2014, 5:11pm
NW Steve - You can often catch Sonny at the local WA Old time fiddlers meetings; 2nd Thursday of every month at the Knights of Columbus hall in Richland, WA. 7:00 - ~10:00 pm. That's where I met him. He's a great guy, and I really love my Western Redcedar topped F4 he built for me a few years back. I've played several of his mandos and a couple of his fiddles. All were great instruments.

Kevin Briggs
Oct-13-2014, 10:35pm
I live about 3 hours from Mr. Morris and would like to meet him and play a couple of his mandolins. Seems like a nice guy and appears to build a nice mandolin.

I really liked the video. The setting, group, music and mandolin were all great.

Hi, Steve:

Thanks for the feedback. We have a good time, although I'm still pining to play fiddle tunes and standards with people.

I will say that after playing my Morris for a few months and playing it a lot recently, I am settling in with it. It is a lot of mandolin for such a reasonable price. First, the volume is great. It is nice and loud, to the level that I don't need to dig into it to pull out the volume. The playability is also very good. It is one of the easiest mandolins I've played. Totally, the low end is crisp, the chop has some woof, and the trebles are cutting, although I have enjoyed the highs getting a little more body as time goes on. The highs weren't thin. I'll just say they have developed a bit as I play it.

Did you ever notice that a new mandolin sounds better every time you put on a fresh set of strings? I mean, it sounds more impressive with each string switch. I think that's a mark of a good mandolin. The tone blooms over time. This Morris definitely has.

Kevin Briggs
Oct-17-2014, 7:10pm
Hi, Steve:

Thanks for the feedback. We have a good time, although I'm still pining to play fiddle tunes and standards with people.

I will say that after playing my Morris for a few months and playing it a lot recently, I am settling in with it. It is a lot of mandolin for such a reasonable price. First, the volume is great. It is nice and loud, to the level that I don't need to dig into it to pull out the volume. The playability is also very good. It is one of the easiest mandolins I've played. Totally, the low end is crisp, the chop has some woof, and the trebles are cutting, although I have enjoyed the highs getting a little more body as time goes on. The highs weren't thin. I'll just say they have developed a bit as I play it.

Did you ever notice that a new mandolin sounds better every time you put on a fresh set of strings? I mean, it sounds more impressive with each string switch. I think that's a mark of a good mandolin. The tone blooms over time. This Morris definitely has.

I'd like to post this in a Martin guitar forum. Does anyone know where I can go to do that?