PDA

View Full Version : must have essential effects?

nobleheart
Mar-22-2005, 9:39pm
I am planning on going with the individual boxes, as opposed to the multieffectsallinoneprocessor, so I am just plain curious which ones you like. Thanks in advance...

Christian McKee
Mar-23-2005, 11:11am
Pick the brands and models you like, but here's what I don't play without: overdrive, polyphonic octave pedal, delay. Usually I add a wah, but that's flexible.

Christian

frankseanez
Mar-28-2005, 8:23am
QTron
Tubescreamer

Joel Glassman
Mar-28-2005, 4:28pm
Alesis reverb (just a little bit of this adds a lot of "presence"

steve in tampa
Mar-28-2005, 5:29pm
stereo chorus and a stage tuner

Kid Charlemagne
Mar-31-2005, 12:46am
So here's a question for you guys. As of right now, I run a rack setup for my effects - a trio of multi-fx processors (Digitech 2112, Korg A3, and Line 6 Pod Pro for amp modelling) and a Roland digital delay unit. So I have access to pretty much anything I might need or want.

My question is this: I play a Schwab 5 string, and have been trying for a more sustained, jazzy sound than I seem to be able to get plugged straight into an amp. I've rolled off the tone knob, switched to double-coil on the neck pickup, and still have trouble getting that nice jazz sound.

What would you guys suggest as a way to add some decent sustain (either echo/delay or something else) without ramping up the overdrive considerably, and still maintain that jazz guitar sound that I'm trying for.

Since I can play a lot more interesting riffs on my emando, I really have no interest in switching it out with a guitar.

mandroid
Mar-31-2005, 9:37pm
heavier strings and/or a lower pitch, Bb F C G D , whole step lower.
my 14" 4 string is wearing a mandola set, at CGDA tuning., the 8str is at FCGD.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

Joel Glassman
Apr-01-2005, 10:13am
I'd use a compression effect for sustain (but sparingly).
For a jazz sound, the less effects you use the better IMO.
Also, you don't say what amp you are using. This will make
a big difference! Nickel wound strings will help, as will
a fat pick like the Dunlop Big Stubby. Go for a
relatively flat EQ--no boost on the bass or treble.
--Joel

steve in tampa
Apr-01-2005, 1:05pm
The Boss compresser/sustainer is a nice toy

jmcgann
Apr-02-2005, 7:16am
You can get a great boost in "juice" without distortion with a Klon Centaur Overdrive pedal- just keep the distortion off and boost the gain. Gives you more color and sustain-very musical!

hotclub
Apr-02-2005, 8:47am
I know it's supposed to be for acoustic, but I use a baggs para eq with all those ugly mids rolled off. It's the only way I've found to get a good jazz tone. Much of the sustain is technique, but a good jazz tone has a natural sounding decay. My $.02

nobleheart
Apr-02-2005, 11:30am
Just got the Eric Clapton Signiture pedal from Digitech. Very cool. My wife had to pull me away from it for dinner. I also, per mandohacks suggest, acquired an octave pedal to give me some serious range. They have both helped attain most of the sounds that I wanted. Just can't wait to try them out on my new Mann E-mando.....

wmr
Apr-02-2005, 8:27pm
Hey Nobleheart,

How do you like your Mann. I got one in Feb. The first one on his electric page on his site. Anyway. It plays amazing I really love it. I am using it through a wah> fulldrive2>boss sd-1>MXR envelope filter>Boss OC-2>Line 6 delay. His mandolins really sound great.

nobleheart
Apr-03-2005, 11:13am
have not recieved it yet...should be another 2 weeks. I am very excited.

bjc
Apr-04-2005, 10:10pm
Dirt, Dirt, Dirt and some delay and chorus...tee hee...The delay pedal and chorus in combo with a volume pedal can get some cool sounds...