PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts about this old 12 string mandolin

johnbiom
Sep-26-2014, 4:14pm
It's quite rustic in build, seems to have a bit of a date stamp possibly ending in 31.
Any info welcome, I've had it years after picking it up in a junk shop in Hull, UK124226

Tavy
Sep-27-2014, 3:40am
Interesting with those f-holes. These were almost all German made as far as I know, can be great fun to play too!

johnbiom
Sep-27-2014, 1:25pm
Interesting with those f-holes. These were almost all German made as far as I know, can be great fun to play too!

Unfortunately the neck has pulled away from the body a bit, looks like due to string tension, so the action makes it unplayable.

EdHanrahan
Sep-27-2014, 2:29pm
... the neck has pulled away from the body a bit, looks like due to string tension ...
Then please DO loosen the strings a fair amount so that the neck doesn't come completely off, but not so loose that the bridge falls out (it's held by string tension only).

It may still be salvageable, if for no other reason than looks: the narrow headstock gives it a particularly graceful line, IMHO.

Jim Garber
Sep-28-2014, 8:58pm
I agree with John (Tavy) for the German attribution. I have seen that tailpiece on lots of German-made instruments tho sometimes with the stamping Marcelli.