PDA

View Full Version : New acquisition...

stimpsonslostson
Sep-26-2014, 11:59am
I recently bought my first mandolin (it was an impulse buy, until now I've been a guitarist). I feel like I'm making decent progress & have been SERIOUSLY neglecting my guitars!
It was £30 including the fitted hardcase. I restrung it & it now plays nicely and sounds good too. The only downside was that it smells a bit smokey- I got it at a pawn shop, so have no idea about who owned it etc.
There is NO branding on it anywhere, I've no idea of its value, age or anything else! Anyone care to hazard a guess?

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4dff71df.jpg

JeffD
Sep-26-2014, 12:49pm
If it plays well and sounds good, you are on your way. No matter what mandolin you get, if you stick with it you will be getting another mandolin soon enough. :)) Being a guitarist you probably already know this. :whistling:

Welcome to the eight string obsession.

JEStanek
Sep-26-2014, 3:21pm
Enjoy it! It's worth what you paid for it.

Welcome to the Cafe.

Jamie

Capt. E
Sep-26-2014, 4:12pm
Heck, the case alone is worth what you paid. Have fun.

Denny Gies
Sep-26-2014, 5:10pm
Welcome to the wild, wacky world of the mandolin. Have fun with it.

Ron McMillan
Sep-27-2014, 12:54am
That's a bargain.

stimpsonslostson
Sep-27-2014, 2:07am
Thanks for the welcome folks, my only mandolin playing friend seems to think that it should last me a while (at least until the MAS sets in- it's a syndrome I'm VERY familiar with from my guitar playing...) I'm already considering the pickup/amplification options for when I join my local jam session.

I'm working on jigs and reels, plus mandolin versions of the songs I already know lyrics to... Radio by Alkaline Trio on mando anyone?! I stumbled across a Chris Thile album a while ago, but I've got a LONG way to go before I attempt any of his stuff!

As with all instruments, i expect practice and familiarity are what will eventually pay dividends. The size of the instrument is a huge plus- I can practice on the sofa easily & even with two young kids it'll fit in the car when we're going away (something that can't always be said of even my parlour guitar).

JeffD
Sep-27-2014, 9:55am
As you may also know from guitar, the single most important indicator of long term success and retention is to play regularly with other people. A local jam or club or open mike, or invite friends over once a week or something. The two keys are - other people (so you get encouragement and sympathy and folks to whom it matters how you are doing with it) and regularly (so that the momentum doesn't peter out before the next time you see them).