PDA

View Full Version : Devilish Mary

JEStanek
Mar-22-2005, 9:42am
Hey,
Do any of you know the old time fiddle tune called Devilish Mary? #I heard the tune by Tom Brad and Alice on their CD We'll Die in the Pig Pen Fighting

You can listen to a section of it here
Listen (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005TSNA/qid=1111501866/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl15/103-9421854-0023825?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)

I 'm not looking for the Texas Swing version done by Hot Club of Cowtown which is also a very nice tune by the same name but completely different...

Any help would be appreciated. #This sounds like a fun song to learn to play...

Thanks in advance.

David M.
Mar-22-2005, 2:49pm
Is that the same Devilish Mary that the Skillet Lickers did? They used to play that one around the part of Kentucky I used to live. The one they played was a song and the fiddle played the melody as the break.

JEStanek
Mar-22-2005, 4:37pm
No, sir. The Skillet Licker version is like the Hot Club version... The Skillet Lickers, whatta name!

Jamie

David M.
Mar-24-2005, 11:09am
Near my home town of West Point, GA, there's a road (Hwy 103) that goes to Columbus, GA and locals call it "Lick Skillet Road". #My folks have always referred to it as that. #Must be a Georgia thang.

Odd that another tune could be called Devilish Mary isn't it? #Haven't heard the other before now.

JEStanek
Mar-24-2005, 9:59pm
I got my answer from the source... Mr. Brad Leftwhich of Tom Brad and Alice. He learned it from Fate Morrison (an Ozark fiddler) back in the 70s. It was never notated out so I'll get to learn this by ear!

Thanks for the help, David.