PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for trip to Nashville?

3rdegree
Sep-23-2014, 6:57pm
Hi all, I'm going to be flying in to Nashville next Tuesday for a week and haven't been there since I saw Johnny Cash at the Grand Ole Opry in 1974 at age 9! As luck would have it, Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer are playing at the college that night but it is sold old. Going to try and find two tickets. Also planning a trip to Gruhn Guitars. Wondering if my fellow Cafe'ers had any suggestions on other places to see or visit that are mando or bluegrass flavored? Thanks in advance!

Bill Burch
Sep-23-2014, 8:15pm
Any Nashville visit should include a trip to Carter's Vintage Guitars. Also, The Station Inn and The Bluebird Cafe are live music musts.

Bill

DataNick
Sep-23-2014, 9:59pm
Look up Johnny Campbell & the Bluegrass Drifters for some jammin and hospitality...tell'em Nick sent ya Brian!

UsuallyPickin
Sep-23-2014, 10:04pm
Carter's Vintage Guitars and Grhun Guitars are on the same street. If you are at one the other is within five minutes. Both are worth a visit. The performance venue 3rd an d Lindsley is worth looking into also. They have a website so you can check to see who's playing. R/

greg_tsam
Sep-23-2014, 10:45pm
Good Luck on your tickets. You may get lucky. Try posting on Craigslist in Nashville in the Wanted section.

3rdegree
Sep-24-2014, 5:55am
Thanks for the suggestions and thanks Nick, I'll tell them you sent me! Sorry you guys can't make it up to our festival this time, I realize it's a long drive. Hopefully you all can play next year!

Jim Mullins
Sep-24-2014, 6:16am
I'd suggest dropping by Cotten Music. They have a new location in the general neighborhood of the Station Inn (known as 'The Gulch', and a really cool part of town, I am told); you can find the exact location online. Cotten is a great, small shop that always has some interesting instruments, as well as very friendly staff.

Also, see who's playing at 3rd and Lindsley (maybe Lindsey?). If The Time Jumpers are playing, you should consider it - kind of a pick-up band, but they've been playing together for years. Mostly Texas swing, classic country, and maybe some rockabilly - the band inludes notables like Vince Gill and Ranger Doug from Asleep at the Wheel, and a bunch of the best musicians you've never heard of. Those guys can play!

verbs4us
Sep-24-2014, 8:31am
Haven't been to Carter's (yet--going in November). Had good experiences at Cotton. Gruhn's...not so much. The atttitude of the staff seemed to be that they were doing you a huge favor to pay attention to you. If guitars are on your program, high marks for Guitar Gallery (in a suburb--by appt only). Robin carries some mandos--check inventory on guitargal.com

tnranger
Sep-24-2014, 8:43am
I would second seeing The Time Jumpers. Awesome band, huge sound. Dawn Sears' voice is incredible.

(BTW, Ranger Doug is with Riders in the Sky, not Asleep at the Wheel.)

journeybear
Sep-24-2014, 9:35am
Maybe a bit obvious, but visiting the Country Music Hall Of Fame is really rewarding. Set aside a couple hours - there is a LOT to see. And yes, there's plenty of bluegrass and mandolin content. Bill Monroe's mandolin, guitars that belonged to Hank Williams and Lester Flatt, and many others. Don't get caught trying to sit in Elvis' Cadillac, though. ;)

DataNick
Sep-24-2014, 10:42am
Thanks for the suggestions and thanks Nick, I'll tell them you sent me! Sorry you guys can't make it up to our festival this time, I realize it's a long drive. Hopefully you all can play next year!

You betcha Brian!

We talked about it and next year might be in the works....be safe Bro!

Stephen Perry
Sep-24-2014, 8:51pm
JD Simo at Roberts Western World

banjoboy
Sep-25-2014, 12:50am
I don't know if JD plays at Roberts anymore, but the band he played with has a real young kid (less than 20 years old), whose pretty much almost as good as JD. Also, if you go to Carters, especially if around lunch time, go to Arnolds. They share the same parking lot as Carters. It's a cafeteria style restaurant with great southern cooking.

Stephen Perry
Sep-25-2014, 6:39am
Don Kelley band still performing. http://robertswesternworld.com/bands/band-schedule/

Schedule for JD https://www.facebook.com/jd.simo

3rdegree
Sep-25-2014, 8:29am
All great suggestions! Thank you guys, I knew I could count on the Cafe to help me plan a great trip!

3rdegree
Oct-12-2014, 11:17am
I had to take a moment to update my trip. First of all thanks again for the great suggestions! My lady and i flew in on Tuesday afternoon and didn't realize until a few days before that Thile/Meyer were playing that night at Vanderbilt Blair School of Music. Amazing venue! Scored tickets on CL at the last minute and sat in top row right in front of the sound board. The show was incredible to say the least. Just after one number I'd never heard, my girl leans over and whispers something in my ear. I giggled. Then Chris explains that the song has no title and the audience gets to name it as they have over the course of the tour. After a couple lame suggestions I raise my hand, Chris says I didn't have to, just say what I want. I yell out "We just flew in from Vegas today and right after that song my girl whispered in my ear 'I want pie'.. Everyone died laughing and Chris said he liked the Vegas-Nashville collaboration and decided that was the name for the night!

We bought a limited edition poster and headed behind the venue waiting for them to come out. There was a glass door that a couple girls walked through, and when I looked inside they were standing right there talking to people behind a curtain with others waiting to see them on the other side. What the hell, we just walked in! Edgar was talking to someone and Chris just standing there so I asked him to sign my poster. Which he did as: Chris Thile - I Want Pie (I Do!) He took some pictures with us and we talked music for a couple minutes. Very nice guy.

Other notable memories: Playing literally every mandolin at Gruhn and Carter! Such nice folks at both places. Also joining the open bluegrass jam at the Station Inn on Monday night for a few hours. Sat next to a young kid named Tyler who played mando that night (amazingly) but was the fiddler for the Greencards at one time. We talked about gear and stuff the whole time. Also, Megan from Nashville Mandolin Camp (yes I'm one of the lucky 13 this year!) was kind enough to suggest some great restaurants. We loved the BBQ at Jacks and Rippy's the best. Saw the old Grand Ole Opry as well. Last but not least was getting Club Level seats to the game on Sunday and seeing my Cleveland Browns pull off the greatest road comeback in NFL history!

Sorry for the novel, but what an amazing trip. Great city and great time. I'm not sure, but it seems life has been better the last two years while carrying a mandolin around!?

DataNick
Oct-12-2014, 4:24pm
Remember Brian that even though you play bass in "Out Of The Desert" that mando guys have more fun...LOL!

Great report on what seems was a great trip!

3rdegree
Oct-12-2014, 8:48pm
Nick, you had me at "GDAE."