PDA

View Full Version : Restrung my 6 string.

derbex
Sep-19-2014, 4:35am
Just restrung my old Fender acoustic to use only the middle 4 strings as GDAE, sounds good:grin:

I did it because I am on the look out for an OM and I am not sure about scale lengths &c, so I wanted to have a play around and see how it felt and sounded and it's surprisingly playable. Stunningly it sounds like my guitar (who'd have thought).

The great thing about it is that I can finger pick the chords.

So now as well as an OM, and a louder mandolin, I want a tenor guitar. I do like the look of this Kalamazoo (http://www.johnalveyturner.co.uk/Gallery/G006101.html) (except for the tuners). Maybe I'd better get the banjo fixed up first, at least my wife has a buy in to that, I got her a wedding ring -she got me a banjo :))

fox
Sep-19-2014, 6:02am
I was doing daft things like that about a year ago, I tried baritone ukes as well as 6 strings, no harm done but for me a smaller body and a shorter scale than a six string & bigger body & longer scale than a uke is what works best... I guess someone worked that out about 100 years ago :)
I have a few vintage instruments but nothing sounds as good as a Blueridge in CGDA.

JH Murray
Sep-19-2014, 12:24pm
I restrung an old guitar when I was wanting to try out octave tuning. It tided me over until I could buy one for real. The body shape does create a different tone. Very happy with my Trinity College Octave.