PDA

View Full Version : Please Help ID Bowl Back Mandolin Birthday Gift from Grannie!

eedunlap
Sep-15-2014, 9:26pm

I am seeking some guidance with identifying a bowl back mandolin that my Grannie is giving me for my birthday present. I remember playing it as a child and falling in love with it! I am wondering if anyone had ideas on who the creator could have been. I've been doing some internet searching and this website keeps popping up as the ultimate site for mandolin gurus! I really appreciate any ideas; I am just curious about the history.
Thank you, Everyone!
Em

*My Grannie said that it did not have any vendor stickers or markings that she could see. My birthday is next month so I don't have it in my hands yet to check myself.

JEStanek
Sep-16-2014, 10:08am
I don't know much about it beyond it was likely a budget bowl from over a hundred years ago (based on the fewer staves in the bowl and lack of ornamentation). If it is American it could have come from any number of factories in Philadelphia, Chicago, or New York. When you get it use only LIGHT weight strings on it. Like these (http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-a240.html) or you could really damage the instrument.

Jamie

Kowboy
Sep-16-2014, 10:48am
Looks as if the tailpiece cover and possibly the bridge are replacements. This is a great opportunity for you to learn to play if you do not already. Practice 3 or 4 two finger cords and you will be amazed how simple it is getting music from this. I do love these "Tater Bugs".

eedunlap
Sep-16-2014, 8:07pm
Thank you both! I appreciate your time and comments:)

Jim Garber
Sep-16-2014, 9:53pm
Bridge is definitely not original or even proper for producing decent sound. Take it to a reliable luthier (repair person) and have a proper bridge installed -- also have ti checkd out and certainly new strings as Jestanek noted above..