PDA

View Full Version : Running playlists

wadeyankey
Sep-15-2014, 10:03am
Hey all - been looking for some new bluegrass/string band/mando-centric music to listen to while I'm out for a run or a bike ride. What have you all been listening to while exercising? Maybe you have a playlist on Spotify you could share, or just some favorite records. Thanks!

Podcasts too..

Tobin
Sep-15-2014, 12:28pm
Do you use Pandora? It will build a custom 'station' for you by simply searching for an artist or title that you like. For instance, my wife heard a nice tune by the Barn Owl Band, so she typed in their name and now she gets a bunch of their music plus a lot of other artists that play similar styles (mostly fiddle tunes and such). Lots of mandolin content there! I have one built around Bill Monroe. And while it plays a lot of his music, there are plenty of other bluegrass artists on there too. I think Pandora just picks what they think is similar in style to what you based your station on. It's nice to jump back and forth to these different stations, or create a new one based on a particular artist. I don't use Spotify or others, so I don't know how similar they are to Pandora.

wadeyankey
Sep-16-2014, 10:56am
I do use Pandora a bit, but I don't like to use it while I'm out running, all that streaming kills my data and my battery! Spotify is a bit different in that you can select a whole record (or playlist) and, if you have premium, download it to listen to later.

All, any suggestions would be welcome, not just things from the internet!

JEStanek
Sep-16-2014, 1:36pm
I include Andy Statman's Uman and the Carolina Chocolate Drops Genuine Negro Jig and Snowden's Jig (no mando just banjo). I also think some of Compton and Long's songs off Stomp are great for a run.

Any Breakdown song is good...

I build playlists out of iTunes for my runs I don't use aps like Pandora or Spotify.

Jamie