PDA

View Full Version : Why no "Ducks"?

Timbofood
Sep-12-2014, 9:58pm
Aside from the obvious,that being John Duffey's demise, why is no one building "Duck" mandolins? Now there's a two point for you!
Simply curious.

sunburst
Sep-12-2014, 10:13pm
Probably because nobody is ordering them.
(Personally, I'm not fond of the design, so I'm not sure I would build one if ordered.)

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-13-2014, 1:18am
Here's one for you :- http://youtu.be/hh1PXIo8kYI
Didn't John Duffey himself build the original 'Duck' mandolin ?. I can't think of any other luthier who'd come up with such an outlandish body shape,
Ivan:disbelief:

almeriastrings
Sep-13-2014, 2:33am
I bet it's fun finding a case for one of those.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-13-2014, 3:13am
A few years ago there was a guy that was building them and advertising them in the classifieds. I'm assuming there wasn't a great demand for them but before Duffy's duck somebody built this. It was definitely 30's era, I sold it years ago.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-13-2014, 3:22am
Found this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?80026-New-pictures-of-Duck-mandolin) one.

Bill Snyder
Sep-13-2014, 8:11am
Mike I think that one might be the same one in the video.

Bertram Henze
Sep-13-2014, 8:20am
It really looks like an "electric" F-style...

http://www.disneyshorts.org/screenshots/1950/503/14large.jpg

Timbofood
Sep-13-2014, 12:06pm
Thanks Mike! Not that I really want one so badly I can't stand it but, there is something about the shape which intrigues me. I figured there was someone out there who had made one or two.

JEStanek
Sep-13-2014, 2:18pm
Talk about a niche in the custom niche mandolin market!

Jamie

stevedenver
Sep-13-2014, 3:34pm
I suppose,
while I am a Duffey fan,
first the design is cumbersome, and
I assume it offers nothing additional in terms of playability or sound.

second, not unlike Bo Diddley's square Gretsch,
this looked good on Duff, and is equally distinctive and unique, but not likely to look appropriate on anyone else......

Petrus
Sep-13-2014, 4:20pm
I dunno. The lower extended point looks like it could be comfortable for resting in your lap. The upper extended point looks more practical as a handle or strap hanger than the typical f-scroll and no less irrelevant to the sound. At least it's well out of the way of the higher bass frets.

mandroid
Sep-13-2014, 5:06pm
Oregon has a good football team to bad the TV coverage is like PPV.

I want a Tuition refund :popcorn:

Timbofood
Sep-13-2014, 9:10pm
I guess for me, it's just....different! Not an "F" not an "A" or "B" "C" or "E" for that matter. Might be a bucket load easier to bind than a scroll too!
"Niche market" indeed! Maybe one in ten thousand or more?

journeybear
Sep-13-2014, 10:16pm
This would be the long-missing "D" style. ;)

I dunno. The lower extended point looks like it could be comfortable for resting in your lap.

Not to me. It looks like this will push the neck downward at an awkward angle. Or is that aukward angle? :confused:

Petrus
Sep-13-2014, 11:23pm

This one-of-a-kind mandolin was made for a baroque performance at a beer festival in Munich in 1992. The body was carved from a pork roast, the neck was made with the skin of broiled duck and the headstock of baked Peking goose. It was eaten by the performers after the show.

http://www.worth1000.com/contests/11325/food-for-thought-6

journeybear
Sep-13-2014, 11:33pm
Oh my! :disbelief: I hope there were many tasty licks prouduced before the finale. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Bertram Henze
Sep-13-2014, 11:41pm
The lower extended point looks like it could be comfortable for resting in your lap.

Not the first time. But after having removed any obstacles in your lap it might be quite comfortable.

Willie Poole
Sep-14-2014, 12:06pm
After Duffey had his F-12 stolen he said he would build something that people would easily recognize and be able to let him know where it was in case IT was ever stolen, after he got his F-12 back he didn`t play the "Duck" all that much, he made one more that wasn`t exactly the same as the original, Ikara has both of them now at least that was the last I heard....

Willie

Petrus
Sep-14-2014, 9:05pm
Oh my! :disbelief: I hope there were many tasty licks prouduced before the finale. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I bet it has a very meaty low end. :cool:

Petrus
Sep-14-2014, 9:06pm
After Duffey had his F-12 stolen he said he would build something that people would easily recognize and be able to let him know where it was in case IT was ever stolen ...

Would have been easier to have his name inlaid in MOP between the frets, country-style. Or a unique headstock inlay.

sunburst
Sep-14-2014, 9:06pm
...Ikara has both of them now at least that was the last I heard....

As of a week ago, Akira says he has Duck #2 and Duffy's F-12.

journeybear
Sep-14-2014, 9:17pm
Would have been easier to have his name inlaid in MOP between the frets, country-style. Or a unique headstock inlay.

Sure, but would folks still be talking about it all this time later? A unique shape like that is really memorable.

OK, I'll save everyone the time and answer the question: Yeah, probably. But still ... ~:> (no duck emoticon)

Then again, google: john duffey duck mandolin, and look at the images. There's a flock of them!

Tom C
Sep-15-2014, 8:32am
Correct. He brings his F12 to Grey Fox. What a dry tone it has and Akira is very nice letting me play it. He didn't make it to the mando tasting this year.

AlanN
Sep-15-2014, 8:43am
Looking at the photo in post12 finally (finally) seals it for me why this was called the Duck. I mean, I always knew the name and sort of got the vibe, but that photo does it. The upper point is the beak, the f-hole is the eye, etc. Quack, Quack.

And the tone it has is very sweet, I think Act 2 (one of their best records in a series of great ones) was recorded with it, all tunes.

Givson
Sep-15-2014, 9:26am
The Duck never really took off. Even though the action was feather light.

dan in va
Sep-15-2014, 10:19am
i've always liked the duck and the sound that JD could pull from it. And yes, Act 2 definitely floats to the top. Would even like to have have one, but the shape could use some tweaking, especially with that big honkin' lower point. An elongated moccasin mandolin banjo / snakehead blend peg head might not look bad, either.

Timbofood
Sep-15-2014, 7:44pm
Would that be more like a "beak head"? "Bill stock"?

Timbofood
Sep-18-2014, 7:53am
Does any one know about plans for a "Duck"?

Timbofood
Sep-23-2014, 6:07am
I think I will let this go the way of the duck, let it quack off into the sunset.
Guess I need to just jump in the pond and see if I can make up some plans or something if I actually decide to build, thanks for input folks, I appreciate it!
Just a project idea, maybe better to fix my roof!

William Smith
Sep-23-2014, 7:39am
I wouldn't mind making a duck quack! Liked the sound out of the private build shown in this thread! And of course the Duffey original.