PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name

edandjudy3946
Sep-12-2014, 7:55am
If a builder has given an instrument a name is it acceptable to rename it or is that in bad taste ? Just askin'

spufman
Sep-12-2014, 8:00am
We adopt our pets from local shelters, where they always have been given awkward names. Within a few days, their true names reveal themselves forevermore.

Bob Clark
Sep-12-2014, 8:04am
We adopt our pets from local shelters, where they always have been given awkward names. Within a few days, their true names reveal themselves forevermore.

Absolutely! Even my adopted ponies needed new names and are much more suited to their new ones.

Tom C
Sep-12-2014, 8:06am
Unless it's written inside on label or somewhere, call it as you wish. I do not give names to inanimate objects.

Astro
Sep-12-2014, 8:13am
The Mando formerly known as Elmo

Jeff Mando
Sep-12-2014, 9:00am
Unless it's written inside on label or somewhere, call it as you wish. I do not give names to inanimate objects.

I with you. I don't name my guitars or mandolins. Seems silly. However, BB King and others may disagree....

farmerjones
Sep-12-2014, 9:10am
I dunno if it's a double standard or what? I treat my instruments like tools or even weapons. But if I see a violin or mandolin painted up with flowers stuck in it, it nearly makes me want to tear up and cry.

OldSausage
Sep-12-2014, 9:16am
If a builder has given an instrument a name is it acceptable to rename it or is that in bad taste ? Just askin'

I guess it depends what the name is. If the builder called it "Fluffybunnykins", then go ahead, by all means change it. But if they called it something like "Groth, Destroyer of Worlds", I'd probably not mess with it.

farmerjones
Sep-12-2014, 9:29am
:disbelief: Wait a minute. Isn't Fluffybunnykins a banjer name?

edandjudy3946
Sep-12-2014, 9:30am
Got it- subjective and personal and not traditional

Denny Gies
Sep-12-2014, 9:43am
Do whatever you want, how is the builder going to know?

journeybear
Sep-12-2014, 9:53am
I think a bit more information might be helpful. Is this a model name, like A5 or F5, or 515, something like that? Or is this an actual name, unique to that instrument? If it's the first, I would think you'd have to stick with that, for a number of reasons. For instance, there will be other owners who have that same model, or just people who are familiar with the product line, and have an idea of what someone else owning the same model means when you mention it.

But if it's something the builder called that particular instrument, you are free to keep that name or call it something else. That's up to you. Bear in mind the court costs involved in making a legal name change vary from state to state, and may be higher than you are willing to pay. Then there's the paperwork. Most instruments are sold without birth certificates, and pushing a legal name change through the various bureaucratic offices involved without proper documentation can be daunting. It's still up to you, though. As long as your instrument comes when it's called, who's to say, other than you, what its real name is?

jaycat
Sep-12-2014, 9:58am
Here are explicit directions on naming your instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeF7jqf0GU4

Pete Jenner
Sep-12-2014, 10:11am
Is this a serious question?

EdHanrahan
Sep-12-2014, 10:28am
Yeah but... Isn't there at least one builder who gives his/her instruments names in place of serial numbers?? Assuming the name is not written on the label (probably not a realistic assumption), changing it sort of cuts off communication with the builder. "Nope, I never built a Norma-Rae. Mine are all named after Greek goddesses." Sort of like Martin saying, "Nope, we never built #47,862."

edandjudy3946
Sep-12-2014, 10:35am
wow - didn't mean to open up a can of worms - lol. Haven't been playing that long (mando anyway) and noticed some people gave them names - maybe to honor someone or whatever. He said it had the name ----- (a ladies name - not F5 or such) - not on the label. I just didn't know if there was and etiquette involved. Of course no one would know and who would care anyway. I just have several friends who I hear say "did you bring Betsy or Sara Jane" - just thought it was cute but not a big deal. Thanks all

Paul Merlo
Sep-12-2014, 10:46am
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.

Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

OldSausage
Sep-12-2014, 11:00am
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.

Dennis: [interrupting] Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

This may help:

dOOTKA0aGI0

Jeff Mando
Sep-12-2014, 11:02am
Yeah but... Isn't there at least one builder who gives his/her instruments names in place of serial numbers?? Assuming the name is not written on the label (probably not a realistic assumption), changing it sort of cuts off communication with the builder. "Nope, I never built a Norma-Rae. Mine are all named after Greek goddesses." Sort of like Martin saying, "Nope, we never built #47,862."

Sounds like Cabbage Patch Kids!

journeybear
Sep-12-2014, 11:24am
Is this a serious question?

Seriously! :))

Just so you know, edandjudy3946, this subject (or something like it) has come up before, and surely will again, and tends to get treated in similar fashion. I really don't think it matters one iota what name the builder gives an instrument, other than for his own record-keeping or identification purposes. You may wish to keep that as a middle name for your instrument, but call it by a name you choose. A bit unwieldy, perhaps, but if you ever have cause to contact the builder about the instrument, that is what you should call it, for his benefit (and yours, I suppose, ease of communication being a good thing). But for the other 6.999.999.999 or so people in the world, the name you give it will be the name it is known by.

Play on! :mandosmiley:

mtm
Sep-12-2014, 11:30am

I renamed mine "that damn mandolin" ...

... a term of endearment, of course....

bart mcneil
Sep-12-2014, 11:40am
"Fluffybunnykins"

I would like to know how you got my girlfriend's name!!! And I will have to remind you that Them's fightin words!

jaycat
Sep-12-2014, 11:59am
I would advise against naming your instruments, and this is why: You know how sometimes you accidentally call your wife by an old girlfriend's name? And you know how your wife reacts when you do that?

So what do you think is gonna happen when you accidentally address Betty Lou the Mandola as Bobbie Sue the Mandolin?

OldSausage
Sep-12-2014, 12:41pm
I would advise against naming your instruments, and this is why: You know how sometimes you accidentally call your wife by an old girlfriend's name? And you know how your wife reacts when you do that?

So what do you think is gonna happen when you accidentally address Betty Lou the Mandola as Bobbie Sue the Mandolin?

A little rift within the lute?

DataNick
Sep-12-2014, 1:01pm
OS,

Love the "Python" post....one of my favorite movies btw...

Steve Zawacki
Sep-12-2014, 2:06pm
I gave all mine names. The first was named "One," the second named "Two." My spouse says if MAS, GAS, BAS and UAS continue at the current rate, I'm going to run out of names....

Jim Garber
Sep-12-2014, 4:39pm
You bought it... you name it... or not!! I don't name any of my instruments and they don't call me by my name either. i don't name cars, electronic products, lawn mowers or electrical appliances either.

Astro
Sep-13-2014, 6:48am
I think I'm done with naming my mandolins. They never come when I call them anyway.
Insolent little stumps of an instrument, aren't they?

almeriastrings
Sep-13-2014, 7:02am
Are you thinking of the Silverangel's? That builder has a long tradition of giving them specific names.... and yes, it is written inside...

Here's some of them.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?46647-Silver-Angel-owners

Zissou Intern
Sep-13-2014, 7:20am
I with you. I don't name my guitars or mandolins. Seems silly. However, BB King and others may disagree....

BB King?! What does he know?

journeybear
Sep-13-2014, 3:23pm
Well, at least as far as Silver Angels go, since the names are written inside, they can easily be considered middle names. ;) I'm sorry, was that a little too inside? Am I giving away inside information? Should I quit with the inside jokes? Probably ... :whistling:

Astro
Sep-13-2014, 9:02pm
Well, at least as far as Silver Angels go, since the names are written inside, they can easily be considered middle names. ;) I'm sorry, was that a little too inside? Am I giving away inside information? Should I quit with the inside jokes? Probably ... :whistling:

You're so insideful.

OldSausage
Sep-13-2014, 10:05pm
I guess the Silverangel A styles don't have names. At least my one doesn't seem to. But I call it "Fat Bob".

Astro
Sep-14-2014, 7:42am
I guess the Silverangel A styles don't have names. At least my one doesn't seem to. But I call it "Fat Bob".

And she told me she was quite upset about that.
Said her name was Bertha.

OldSausage
Sep-14-2014, 8:28am
Well, there's a different question again: if it's okay to change the name of a mandolin, is it also okay to change its gender? And I say yes.

journeybear
Sep-14-2014, 8:54am
Just please, check with the instrument first. That's where truth originates; all else is only conjecture or opinion. Make sure you get it right, on this very sensitive issue. Respect. Consideration. You don't want to go pissing her - or him - or it off. You may never get a pleasant note out of her - or him - or it again.

Bertram Henze
Sep-14-2014, 9:07am
...is it also okay to change its gender? And I say yes.

I guess there's nothing a skilled luthier can't do.

Astro
Sep-14-2014, 9:09am
Well, there's a different question again: if it's okay to change the name of a mandolin, is it also okay to change its gender? And I say yes.

At this age it scarcely matters.

Willie Poole
Sep-14-2014, 11:44am
I was thinking that the OP meant a style name, like the Weber "Bitteroot", Flatiron "Festival" and names like that...Those should not be changed because they allow us to know the different models that a builder makes, Gibson did it with numbers like 5, 7, 12 etc....

I do have names for two of my mandolins but very seldom ever call them by those names, only when they make a mistake.....

Willie

journeybear
Sep-14-2014, 2:33pm
No, the OP said, "He said it had the name ----- (a ladies name - not F5 or such) - not on the label." So that's not a model name. I see he's also added his instruments' names in the list in his signature.

Kowboy
Sep-14-2014, 2:53pm
I'm thinking that the gender change may very well be covered under the Affordable Care Act. Am I wrong here?

edandjudy3946
Sep-14-2014, 4:07pm
Ken forgot to write it in this one but told me what it was. I'm naming it after my wife. I think she was named after her father's violin.

journeybear
Sep-14-2014, 4:58pm
Aha! So it IS a Silverangel. Figures. :mandosmiley:

Yes, it would be wise to name it after your wife, rather than keep the name Ken gave it. There'll be more peace in your home, and fewer explanations you'll have to make. ;)

vrZf3vRHmkw

pxkoqF8aOMc

Violingirl
Sep-14-2014, 8:09pm
Well, I have to say I have named a few of my instruments lately. My beautiful new violin is Edward (why? Beats me, seemed to fit) but my other two violins do not have names. My new mandolin I named Oh Dear (as in, oh dear, she is sort of sad but I love her) and my recorder is named Awful (as in I stink. I just don't do well on wind instruments). I think it is personal preference. Some dome them, some think it's silly-it's all how you feel about your babies.... :grin:

sgrexa
Sep-14-2014, 8:15pm
I've never named one of my mandolins before, but when I found out all the woods on my new Ben Wilcox A5 were from Transylvania and it would have a blood red burst, Vlad the Impaler kind of stuck. Ben is engraving "Vlad" on the truss rod cover and inlaying with some red epoxy this week. Shouldn't be long now!

Sean

Bob Clark
Sep-14-2014, 9:06pm
I've never named one of my mandolins before, but when I found out all the woods on my new Ben Wilcox A5 were from Transylvania and it would have a blood red burst, Vlad the Impaler kind of stuck. Ben is engraving "Vlad" on the truss rod cover and inlaying with some red epoxy this week. Shouldn't be long now!

I sure hope you will post a photo! This, I've really got to see!

sgrexa
Sep-15-2014, 6:44am
It might not show up in photographs!?

Sean

AlanN
Sep-15-2014, 6:57am
Of course, it's been done:

Hoss
Crusher
Brutus

What cracks me up are those who assign gender to the mandolin, as in "she's a good gal, I think I'll keep her"

what the...

sgrexa
Sep-15-2014, 8:04am
"Keep her" is better than "sleep with her" which has also been done.

Sean

hank
Sep-15-2014, 8:40am
Meandering from the name etiquette a bit, the blood burst from Transylvania reminds me of an idea I had and wondered if it's also been done. The day dream if you will is of a Black Widow with red hourglass fingerboard markers, and matching red binding on a gloss black body. The headstock deco could either repeat the hourglass or perhaps some red webbing inlay on it and the finger rest(pick guard). Maybe Bluechip Stinger would be it's name.

jaycat
Sep-15-2014, 8:46am
I'm thinking that the gender change may very well be covered under the Affordable Care Act. Am I wrong here?

Depends on whether it's a pre-existing condition.

journeybear
Sep-15-2014, 11:51am
Wouldn't it be, by definition? I mean, if you're going to change from one thing to another, it has to be that one thing to begin with, right? :confused: I think the more serious consideration is whether it is elective surgery.

That is, if the term "serious" has any bearing in this. ;)

sgrexa
Sep-15-2014, 12:16pm
The day dream if you will is of a Black Widow with red hourglass fingerboard markers, and matching red binding on a gloss black body. The headstock deco could either repeat the hourglass or perhaps some red webbing inlay on it and the finger rest(pick guard). Maybe Bluechip Stinger would be it's name.

No doubt Tony Iommi beat you to this.

sgrexa
Sep-17-2014, 8:10am
Here is a pic of Vlad in the early stages:

Sean

Jeff Mando
Sep-17-2014, 8:35am
Meandering from the name etiquette a bit, the blood burst from Transylvania reminds me of an idea I had and wondered if it's also been done. The day dream if you will is of a Black Widow with red hourglass fingerboard markers, and matching red binding on a gloss black body. The headstock deco could either repeat the hourglass or perhaps some red webbing inlay on it and the finger rest(pick guard). Maybe Bluechip Stinger would be it's name.

Hank, they beat ya to it! Early 70's Acoustic Black Widow designed by Semie Mosley of Mosrite fame. They made both a guitar and bass version. It had a red belly pad on the back like a Gretsch Chet Atkins representing the markings of a black widow spider. Jimi Hendrix was pictured in the studio with one. Wild stuff!