PDA

View Full Version : When I'm Free - A Hot Rize Interview with Tim O'Brien

NewsFetcher
Sep-09-2014, 7:58pm
The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
When I'm Free - A Hot Rize Interview with Tim O'Brien (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001658.shtml)

With Hot Rize set to release "When I'm Free," their first studio recording in 25 years, we sat down with legendary lead singer, mandolinist and fiddler Tim O'Brien for an inside look at the band, the new project and an extended tour that starts this week.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/uploads/hotrize-whenimfree.jpg (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001658.shtml)

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.

domradave
Sep-10-2014, 12:12am
I met Tim backstage at Winterhawk. He is a very nice guy. Never get tired of hearing him play the Nugget!

Ron McMillan
Sep-10-2014, 1:59am
A very fine interview with a guy who seems to command respect from everyone who ever dealt with him. Friends of mine, a New Zealand duo who play their own brand of Americana, were delighted when Tim agreed to produce their latest CD, How Red is the Blood (http://www.tattletalesaints.com/), and they can't speak highly enough of the man.

dorenac
Sep-10-2014, 5:54am
Back in the late 70's when I believe Hot Rize was somewhat a local band they would play a little coffee house/restaurant on Pearl St. in Denver, CO. I lived two blocks away and would walk down and listen to these guys. The performance area wasn't much bigger than a residential living room, and so they were up close. I was captivated then by their "new" sound. Never did I realize I was in the company of such a soon to be famous group. Last winter I saw Tim in a solo concert and my memories went back to those good old days in the 70's.

AlanN
Sep-10-2014, 6:28am
Wonderful news, eagerly await the new recording. I saw them at the Old Tucson Bluegrass Festival in 1978, I don't even think the first record was out yet.

UsuallyPickin
Sep-10-2014, 7:34am
I've been waiting a long time to hear this band again. So excited .... three thumbs up !!Thanks for the vid and taste of what's to come. 9/30 can't come soon enough. Thanks guys .....glad you're back..... I look forward to hearing some more of Red and the boys too..... R/

Benjamin T
Sep-10-2014, 9:22am
In what formats is the new recording going to released?

pickinNgrinnin
Sep-10-2014, 9:42am
Been a Hot Rize fan since the early 80's and love Tim O'Brien's solo work. Great to see them back together and with some new songs. Enjoyed the interview!

smallbear
Sep-15-2014, 7:58am
I have become a big fan of Tim in the last couple of years. I attended a song workshop at Chautauqua in Boulder last spring that was part of the Lomax Project, and saw the concert they put on afterward, and I saw him a few weeks ago there with Darryl Scott. I have learned to play a number of songs from his CDs, mostly traditional tunes, but I love his arrangements. and he sings in my voice range. I am really looking forward to picking up this new album. His versatility and virtuosity on multiple instruments is just amazing. It's quite an inspiration for me to develop my own skills.

Will Patton
Sep-23-2014, 5:35pm
Great interview, Scott, with a well-known great guy (and soulful musician). Always did love Hot Rize and couldn't be happier to see they're back at it.

Cal
Oct-05-2014, 2:03pm
Love Tim's recollection in an interview of his visit to Doc Watson's house, and Doc going down to his basement to retrieve a specific guitar...........and the one Doc came back up with.

Alan Epstein
Oct-12-2014, 6:16am
Great interview Scott. I heard Hot Rize at IBMA in Raleigh a week ago and they sounded as good or maybe even better than ever.

Mandolin Cafe
Sep-09-2018, 10:19am
Another interview, one of our favorites, published this date 2014.

Mandolin Cafe
Sep-09-2020, 7:49am
Published this date 2014.

Mandolin Cafe
Sep-09-2021, 7:33am
Noting today's anniversary of this feature interview.

Mandolin Cafe
Sep-09-2023, 7:16am
Noting today's anniversary of this feature interview.