PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bush Model

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-21-2005, 2:39am
I played a Sam Bush at Westwood Music in L.A. last week and it was a lot of fun. I would like to hear the pro and con's om this machine.

Thanls,
Rick http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

J. Mark Lane
Mar-21-2005, 8:51am
Sam Bush is one of the pro's on this machine. He probably knows a few cons, too. Or at least ex-cons.

Seriously, since no one else is biting, I will at least say that I played one at Mandolin Bros, and I loved it. It looked, felt and sounded awesome. I'm not a "pro" -- just a ex-hack guitar player trying to learn the mando. But of all the mandolins I played in that store that day, the Sam Bush Model was one of the top 5. (Also filling out that list would be the Doyle Lawson Model and the Alan Bibey Model...I liked the Gibsons. <G>)

Mark

Mando4Life
Mar-21-2005, 9:06am
I like the thicker neck on the Bush model. The couple that I have played both sounded great to me. I'm also partial to the block inlay (I grew up watching my brother play his 79 Les Paul).

If I had the means I would most likely own one.

WBL

kyblue
Mar-21-2005, 11:50am
Can't really speak to pros and cons. But, can tell you my teacher (Jeff Parker, Lonesome River Band) has a new one and likes it. It sounds good, and it's loud.

The neck and the frets are both a bit too large for me.

J. Mark Lane
Mar-21-2005, 11:53am
You're studying with Jeff Parker? Wow, that's great. Does he still play a Rose? (Do I remember correctly that that's what he was playing, at least a couple of years ago...?)

Clyde Clevenger
Mar-21-2005, 11:54am
I have a '00 Bush that is everything I need in a mandolin.
Very even all the way up the neck, bright enough to play Celtic tunes and dark and woody enough to play Bluegrass.
Sings like and Angel, or screams like the devil. I get to play a lot of high-end instruments at Cartwright's Music just down the road, and the Bush stacks up pretty well to any of them. 1 Loar and 1 Dude that I thought were better, but not a lot.

Pete Martin
Mar-21-2005, 12:00pm
I've played a number, many are not very good, some very good. My wife bought one (from Ken Cartwright) that was outstanding, the best new mando I've ever heard.

Play one before commiting to buy it.

Jack Roberts
Mar-21-2005, 12:19pm
Played one in my life, at Gryphon. Amongst the best sounding mandolins I've ever played: I wanted to buy it, but ended up buying another brand that I liked just as much.

WireBoy
Mar-21-2005, 12:35pm
i played one at Blue Ridge Pickin Parlor in Chatsworth CA last year. #wow! #a few months later i was in Dusty Strings, Seattle and they had one too, but it didn't sound as sweet as the one at BRPP.

kyblue
Mar-21-2005, 1:17pm
Mark,

Yes, Jeff has a Rose and a Gibson. He alternates between them.

And, it's definitely great to get to learn from him, he's awesome! He plays strictly by ear. I felt I was getting too dependent on tab from previous instruction, this pushes me to really learn a song. Also, have had some good emphasis on chords and learning the fretboard.

A caveat about the comment I made on the Bush sounding good, I've never heard a mando that didn't sound great in Jeff's hands...

Paula

johnnymando
Mar-21-2005, 2:21pm
I bought a 2003 Bush signed by Danny last
March.It was used,but unplayed.It didn't knock me over at first,but it opened up as I played it and now has everything I want...great tone,loud,nice deep bass side and clear treble side.
The only step up in my mind is a Master Model.

GBG
Mar-21-2005, 2:27pm
I know I'm changing the subject a little, but has anyone played a Bush with phosphor bronze strings instead of the stainless steel ones? I tried to compare the Gibson models in a Houston store a couple of years ago, and I felt like it was hard to compare the Bush to the Fern, etc. because of the different type strings involved.

mandoJeremy
Mar-21-2005, 4:53pm
I guess I must comment in this thread since I very much love my Bush model. I play the Bush models at Opry Mills everytime I stop in to see BigJoe and they are always pretty consistent. There is one Bush model in particular that is for sale at Music Outlet in Sevierville, TN that has to be one of the best ones I have ever played. My friend also has a monster one. I just happen to prefer mine because of the varnish finish. As far as the Phosphor Bronze strings, mine came back from Gibson after the refinish with Monroe strings on it because they were out of the Monels at the time and it still sounded great. Compared to the Fern I would say the Bush model is much deeper in tone with the PB strings because of the wider neck.

Biff
Mar-22-2005, 12:08am
Well, although folks have already described how great the Bush model is, I too can't help but chime in. Like many folks on the Cafe I get a chance to play and hear a fair number of great mandos, and always come back to being very happy with it. I recommend anyone considering a high-end mando to try a Bush. FYI, I had a new nut made with more standard string spacing. It's a 2001 without the finish on the back of the neck.

I'm not a hot picker, but it sure is fun playing such a loud, responsive, sweet yet woody mando.

Cheers.

Scotti Adams
Mar-27-2005, 12:34pm
..Ive probably have played upwards to about 6 o 7 Bush models...of those only 2 didnt cut the mustard in my opinion....I do like the feel of the bigger neck and the Bush string spacing though.

addcourt
Mar-27-2005, 1:34pm
I had an '01 Bush that needed fret work. Sent it to Dave Harvey for frets and setup. It came back as one of the finest sounding mandolins I've heard. Traded it off because of the neck size. Currently have another Danny Roberts signed mando--Doyle Lawson Signature Model. It's also very impressive and came with slender "V" neck with vintage frets and great tone.

woodysny
Mar-28-2005, 10:09am
Jesse Brock is playing a Sam Bush model, and he is very happy with it. Jesse is certainly one of the very best.

Scotti Adams
Mar-28-2005, 11:28am
Jesse's without question..at least to my ears..is the best sounding Bush I have ever heard...I think he sent it back and had smaller frets put in it too.

Flatpick
Apr-05-2005, 1:23pm
I played one at Elderly Instruments in Lansing Michigan a couple years ago. I met Little Jimmy from the cafe there and we had a grand time playing and testing the entire stock. The Sam Bush was a great player and had good tone and plenty of volume. I liked it but the price tag I did not.........
OMB http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

GBG
Apr-05-2005, 1:52pm
Jeremy Chapman plays a great sounding Bush with silk and steel strings. He said he played several of that model before he chose the one he plays.