PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a new mandolin

stringerjon
Sep-08-2014, 7:36pm
Hey all. Just joined the cafe. I've been reading for days and am ready to jump in. I've wanted a mandolin for a long time now and just got serious about getting one. For now my budget is about $ 250. To make things harder I just played a $900 loar and now my ears are totally spoiled. I've read a lot here so I understand that the Kentucky km150 pretty much wins the "beginner mandolin" debate. I havent found a dealer stocking a km150 so...A couple questions: Is the km150 going to compare to a higher quality loar? I played all the other lower end mandos , gretsch, fender, epiphone etc and nothing. I found a michael kelly LFP used on craigslist for $250. Could probably get it cheaper. Is this a cut above the Kentucky km150 or about the same quality. Hope I gave enough info. I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

pheffernan
Sep-08-2014, 8:15pm
I havent found a dealer stocking a km150

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/kentucky-km-150-mandolin--KM150S.htm

A couple questions: Is the km150 going to compare to a higher quality loar? I played all the other lower end mandos , gretsch, fender, epiphone etc and nothing. I found a michael kelly LFP used on craigslist for $250. Could probably get it cheaper. Is this a cut above the Kentucky km150 or about the same quality. Hope I gave enough info. I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

Z1tFwAYVj5Y

bart mcneil
Sep-08-2014, 8:20pm
Decide on three or four brands and models you want and look for them used in good condition. You should get something decent for that price and a used one has often been professionally set up. I suggest used because new, at that price won't get you much.

On the other hand you want something to give you a year or two experience before you get that $900 The Loar.

stringerjon
Sep-08-2014, 10:04pm
Thanks for the reply. I was wanting to find a dealer near me so I could play a Kentucky and see if I like it. I've seemed to develop really expensive taste really quickly. Not surprising though. I've played piano, guitar, bass, violin ect. My whole life so I think my ear is just picky. I played quite a few mandolins in my price range and none caught my attention. When I played the loar I didn't want to put it down. I could play it all day just to hear the thing. It was so full. Every note was distinct and clear. Man, I have a bad itch now! I cant stop thinking about it. Do you think the MK LFP will somewhat satisfy the ear for some time? I would have to drive almost an hour just to look at it and I'm sure some here could tell me if its worth the drive or just a waste of time. Is the Kentucky km150 in the same catagory as the Mk LFP or would I do good to get one used at the price of a new km150 supposing it plays well and is in good shape? Thanks for the help. I feel like I caught a disease with these mandolins. I want to hear that sweet sound so bad! Gotta have one!!!

roysboy
Sep-08-2014, 10:21pm
Hey all. Just joined the cafe. I've read a lot here so I understand that the Kentucky km150 pretty much wins the "beginner mandolin" debate. I havent found a dealer stocking a km150 so...A couple questions:
Is the km150 going to compare to a higher quality loar? YES
I played all the other lower end mandos , gretsch, fender, epiphone etc and nothing.THE KENTUCKY KM -150 IS BETTER THAN ALL OF THOSE...listen to the vido posted above . THAT IS THE SOUND OF THAT INSTRUMENT
I found a michael kelly LFP used on craigslist for $250. Could probably get it cheaper. Is this a cut above the Kentucky km150 or about the same quality. THE MICHAEL KELLYS I'VE PLAYED AND HEARD DIDN'T SOUND AS GOOD AS THE KM-150
Hope I gave enough info. I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

my opinions in BOLD letters above......

I'm a Km-150 owner . Love this instrument . Easy to play ...amazing tone for the price , fit and finish are excellent and it holds tuning beautifully , in my experience .The only suggestion I'd make to you is to either rent or invest very little in purchasing an instrument initially . You will understand your commitment better and what you want in an instrument as you become more proficient . THEN it makes sense to invest a bit more in an instrument .

JEStanek
Sep-08-2014, 10:31pm
Welcome to the Cafe.

Jamie.

stringerjon
Sep-08-2014, 11:30pm
Great advice!!! And thanks for the welcome! I think ill look for a Kentucky just to keep me busy before I really invest. I have yet to get to play one but so many people here seem to speak highly of them. Do the old km180s mandos fit this category or do I need to look for a newer one? I found a km180s for $180. Its also an hour away. Think I should go check it out or look for a new one for a little bit more $. Can't wait to start playin :)

roysboy
Sep-09-2014, 12:32am
The km150 receiving all the attention is a brand new version ( see video ) and is apparently an improvement tone wise over the last version .

Mike Arakelian
Sep-09-2014, 10:01am
Welcome to the Cafe' Stringerjon. There are several good suggestions listed in the above posts. I'll add my 2 cents. Don't waste your time looking at the MK. Neither should you waste time with Fender, Savannah and the other cheap entry level mandos. Do look for an A style rather than an F style as it will undoubtedly be less money, and sound pretty much the same. The Kentucky 150, The Loar 220, the Eastman 305 and the JBovier A5 are all very good starter instruments for you to consider. New, they'll range in price from around $300-$500, but you may find one or the other used for less than that. If you decide to buy new, you should seriously consider buying from one of the Cafe' sponsors listed in the classifieds. Not only are they reputable to deal with, but you can be assured that the mandolin will be well set up. This is extremely important as even a good mandolin that has not been well set up won't sound good or play well. Again, welcome to the Cafe' and enjoy your mandolin journey. :mandosmiley:

stringerjon
Sep-09-2014, 11:26pm
Thanks so much for the support. I got to watch to video and I'm pretty impressed with the sound of the km150. Ill keep my eye on the classified adds. For now I'm pretty set on getting one from elderly. I like that it will be set up and for a good price. So far none of the others suggested are in my area used. Again, ill keep looking. Based off what you all have said and hearing the video I'm pretty comfortable buying one even though I haven't played it. Thanks again! Glad the journey has begun.

stringerjon
Sep-10-2014, 12:21am
BTW. I can't seem to find the classifieds or a list of vendors on this site. Where do I look?

Timothy S
Sep-10-2014, 1:11am
"Classifieds" are to the left of "Forum" on the bar underneath the Mandolin Cafe banner. On the upper left of the screen, top of the page.

stringerjon
Sep-10-2014, 8:02pm
Got it. Thanks. I had to go to the full site. On mobile I think I can't view classifieds. Thanks again! Now I just gotta sell one of my guitars so I can get a mando. Yay!

stringerjon
Sep-19-2014, 10:04pm
Ok. So I have another question. I found a kentuky km160 on craigslist for $150. It is older. The guy says he got it off ebay 3-4 years ago. My question is how does the older 160 compare to the new 150? I was planning on getting a 150 from elderly, but if I can get a bit higher quality mando for even cheaper I like that. Its an hour away so I can't go play it right now. Any thoughts? Thanks all!

Jonathan

Folkmusician.com
Sep-19-2014, 10:11pm
In general, the older KM-160 should have cleaner workmanship, but as far as tone, The new KM-150 will sound better.

An older KM-160 would be better than an older KM-150 and for $150 I sure wouldn't pass it up if it doesn't have any issues and is setup well.

stringerjon
Sep-19-2014, 10:29pm
Hey robert thanks for the reply. I'm going to guess that since the mando was purchased off ebay its not going to be set up. Seller says she bought it and put it in a case and hasn't played it. So thats a cost i would have to add. If the newer 150 will sound better and be set up from elderly I'm thinking that would be the better route. Curious, why would a newer 150 sound better than an old 160. Also, what year did the change happen? I'm trying to get serial numbers from her to identify when it was made. Thanks again. Appreciate the support.

roysboy
Sep-19-2014, 11:25pm
Hey robert thanks for the reply. I'm going to guess that since the mando was purchased off ebay its not going to be set up. Seller says she bought it and put it in a case and hasn't played it. So thats a cost i would have to add. If the newer 150 will sound better and be set up from elderly I'm thinking that would be the better route. Curious, why would a newer 150 sound better than an old 160. Also, what year did the change happen? I'm trying to get serial numbers from her to identify when it was made. Thanks again. Appreciate the support.

What Robert said .

And as I said above , I love my new KM-150 . I was in a couple of shops yesterday playing Eastmans , Epiphones , Gold Tones, Michael Kelley and a couple of other Kentucky ( KM-600 ? ) and still came away confirming to myself that the new KM-150 has better tone ( woodier , more bottom end , louder ) than the models mentioned above .
Apparently the NEW KM-150 is built in a new facility where the higher end KM-900-950's are built . Not sure what the difference in construction or design might be but I also played an older KM-250 several weeks back . NICE mandolin but didn't quite have the punch of these new KM-150's ....at least to my ear . Again ....have a listen to Adam's video above and you can hear it for yourself . Besides if it turns out NOT to be to your liking you've invested relatively little for a mandolin with an expert set-up and a case / gig bag . Good luck

stringerjon
Sep-19-2014, 11:39pm
Thanks. I think that confirms it for me. I want a new km150! Can't wait..

roysboy
Sep-19-2014, 11:46pm
Thanks. I think that confirms it for me. I want a new km150! Can't wait..

Make sure you use a heavier pick on the mandolin (2-3 )..not a regular heavy guitar pick. I've found that makes a huge difference in the fatness of the tone I'm getting. I always carry it in my pocket so I can use it on other mandos for a fair comparison .

stringerjon
Sep-20-2014, 12:13am
Great! I was wondering about "mandolin picks" . Ill have to get some. Cheers

Petrus
Sep-20-2014, 1:21am
Just got a used KM-150 from Guitar Center mail order the other day for $99. I was expecting the worst, but it's like brand new. Quite satisfied with it! I was thinking of an Eastman 304 but now I can hold off for a while.

I'm not sure what the differences are between the 150 and 160.

stringerjon
Sep-20-2014, 1:36am
Sounds like a great deal! Right now I'm living vicariously through nickel creek. Can't get enough of it. Man I can't wait to start playing! Hope you have a great time on that thing.

stringerjon
Sep-28-2014, 11:30pm
Hey all. So I've been set on getting a Kentucky km150. Still raising funds for the purchase. I've been thinking. .. if I'm going to spend about 300 on a mando, would it be wise to go a step up and get something a little better. I'm kinda a stickler when it comes to tone and I'm getting hesitant on this purchase. So my question is, for about $100 more than the km150 is there a better choice that would be worth the money? Km160 or others? At this point I'm willing to hold out a bit longer for something that will be more pleasing. However, I do have a cap out that i can spend on a madolin this decade. I'm thinking a limit of about $400. I'm convinved from my research that the km150 really competes with mid level mandos so I'm reluctant to think that a 100 more is going make any difference. I've looked at some eastman mandos priced from. 600-1200 and wasn't all that impressed. From the video clips I've heard I'm pretty convinced that kentucky gets the best bang for the buck. I don't want to spend tons on my first mando puchase, but I also don't want to get something I'm going to want upgrade in a year. Or worse, get discouraged and quit all together. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Its taken this long so I might as well make it worth it Thanks all!

Jonathan

almeriastrings
Sep-29-2014, 12:18am
This is just a general observation, but if you are looking a 'best in class' example in a particular price range (and the new KM-150's are best in class), then spending a hundred or couple of hundred more may not get you anything better at all. Generally, you have to double or treble the price bracket to bring significant benefits. So, from a KM-150 you would probably need to jump to the $500+ price point to see any advantage (say, a KM-505) and the 'next stop' after that would be the KM-900. All of these are very good mandolins in their respective price brackets, and have excellent reputations. You can't go wrong with any of them.

stringerjon
Sep-29-2014, 1:38am
Thanks. Thats kind of the opinion I have formed from research. Even listening to the demos from the mandolin store, I couldn't hear significant difference until the mandos hit the $1000 range. I wasn't sure if it was me and my bias towards the cost and sound of the km150 or if there really wasn't much difference until tripling the cost. For me that's good news. I would rather save the $100 and have a mandolin I'm pleased with and peace of mind knowing I didn't miss out on something much better by save a little cash. I want to get one through robert at folkmusician. The suspense is killing me. Also, are there some good upgrades to improve tone even more, like a new tail piece and nut or is it pretty much as good as you can get it. New to mandos so bear with me. Thanks for your input.

almeriastrings
Sep-29-2014, 2:04am
A good setup will do it. There really is not a huge amount of point in 'upgrades'. On the KM's, the tuners, nut, tailpieces and bridges are usually perfectly functional (there are a couple of brands where they are definitely not OK). All they need is a few correct, fine adjustments. Best to save the money towards some future major upgrade, or spend it on books, courses and lessons to improve your playing, in my opinion. Even if you were to splash out on a $150 tailpiece, you would almost certainly hear no difference at all. I also would not spend $100 on a bridge (which is what you would need to spend to make even the slightest difference). $100 on lessons from a good teacher will make a difference, however!

stringerjon
Sep-29-2014, 9:17am
This all good news. I think I'm going to really enjoy mandolin playing. I've wanted one for years. It all started with fixing up an old bowl back that my dad had since I was kid. It wasn't long before the difficulty of playing it turned me off. Then I started playing nice ones in stores.. and wow! A whole different cat. Now I can't stop thinking about it. Ill start looking into books to get me going in the right direction.

roysboy
Sep-29-2014, 9:55am
This all good news. I think I'm going to really enjoy mandolin playing. I've wanted one for years. It all started with fixing up an old bowl back that my dad had since I was kid. It wasn't long before the difficulty of playing it turned me off. Then I started playing nice ones in stores.. and wow! A whole different cat. Now I can't stop thinking about it. Ill start looking into books to get me going in the right direction.

Ditto what Almeria says re KENTUCKY'S n upgrades etc , in my opinion .
You won't know WHAT you want til you've got it . Many of my students have laid out some serious $$$ on an axe only to have it taking up space under a bed or in a closet a year later . We ALL know THAT guy ...right ?
Once you've played your mandolin for a bit ....found a few tunes ,practiced , learned a few more , changed a few sets of strings etc...you'll get a far better idea of what you want in playability , tone , hardware , and be able to determine your degree of commitment . I think that's the ONLY way you can really determine that stuff ...particularly if you are on a budget . I'd suggest you put an end to your mandolin misery ,over-analyzing and second guessing , grab a trusty and dependable KM-150 and 'scratch that mandolin itch' asap . Sounds like you might suffer more serious health issues if you DON"T than if you DO ?

stringerjon
Sep-29-2014, 10:09am
Haha , I love this! Agreed. I think I better get one soon before I get seriously ill. I will make sure to explain the health risks to my wife. I think I'm back at the same conclusion I was 2 weeks ago... Km150. Ive looked into the eastman 305 and I think I still like the km150 more.

Like you said.. I think it's time to end my mandolin misery. Thanks for the life- saving advice! That was a close one :)

stringerjon
Oct-05-2014, 9:05pm
Well, I went to guitar center today and got to play a km250. I liked it. Is it safe to say this is what my km150 will sound like when I get it? I also got to play a $5000 gibson. I also liked it :)

roysboy
Oct-05-2014, 9:24pm
Well, I went to guitar center today and got to play a km250. I liked it. Is it safe to say this is what my km150 will sound like when I get it? I also got to play a $5000 gibson. I also liked it :)

The new KM-150's sound much better than the OLDER km 250's although the older KM-250 has a radiused fretboard . . I know this from having played both .

There IS a new km-250 , however , which I have not played . Apparently they no longer have the radiused fretboard

stringerjon
Oct-05-2014, 9:35pm
Yes. This was a newer km 250. Non radius fretboard. Not sure what the difference between the two are. It was pretty good sounding though. It didn't look like it have upgraded tuners or anything. They had it priced at $399. Seems high compaired to the km150.

roysboy
Oct-05-2014, 9:50pm
Yes. This was a newer km 250. Non radius fretboard. Not sure what the difference between the two are. It was pretty good sounding though. It didn't look like it have upgraded tuners or anything. They had it priced at $399. Seems high compaired to the km150.

According to the folks at the MANDOLIN STORE , the only difference between the new KM-150 and Km-250 is cosmetic . You may want to do a bit more research on the Saga website .

stringerjon
Oct-05-2014, 10:22pm
Ok. Ill look into it. I deffinitly will not pay twice as much for cosmetics. I'm more interested to know if I was playing a dressed up km150 or not. I think the km150 will have the same tone overall. I was hoping I got to sample the mondolin I am going to get minus some appearance details.

stringerjon
Oct-05-2014, 10:38pm
Ok. Apparently the km250 does have a radius fretboard which I didn't notice and is hand carved. It is also joined at the 14th fret opposed to the 12th fret and has some other upgrades. I'm guessing it still sounds really similar to the 150 though. Wish I could compare them side by side but I can't find one in stock anywhere. I guess ill just have to wait until I get mine :)

stringerjon
Oct-08-2014, 12:37am
Hey all. So I found someone locally on craigslist that is selling a km150 from elderly that comes with a gig bag , a strap and picks for $199 or best offer. Must have been a bundle. Is there a way to identify if this a "newer" km150 or the older one before the improvements were made? What year did these changes happen? I wanted to get one through Robert but at this price I may need to jump on it. Really considering this one. Thanks for any info!

roysboy
Oct-08-2014, 9:12am
Hey all. So I found someone locally on craigslist that is selling a km150 from elderly that comes with a gig bag , a strap and picks for $199 or best offer. Must have been a bundle. Is there a way to identify if this a "newer" km150 or the older one before the improvements were made? What year did these changes happen? I wanted to get one through Robert but at this price I may need to jump on it. Really considering this one. Thanks for any info!

If you could play the 199 dollar instrument it might be a good deal ....If not ..it may be a crapshoot. I would suggest getting the new one from one of the shops supporting the site . You will know what you are getting ...you can return it if you don't like it and it will come with a pro set-up , a guarantee and all of that peace of mind for only a few more dollars . Better git pickin.......!!!

stringerjon
Oct-08-2014, 9:22am
It came from elderly. It should be good. Im just not sure if itsthe new model. They bought it about a year ago

stringerjon
Oct-08-2014, 7:40pm
Ok. So here's the s/n if someone can interpret it. 13011685. I assume this maens it was made in 2013. I do like the peace of mind buying one new from our dealers but if this came from elderly it should have passed their standards and been set up right? If I can save over $100 and still know its been set up and gone through inspection then that's a good deal right? I still don't know when the change occurred in the manufacturing.

pheffernan
Oct-08-2014, 7:57pm
I still don't know when the change occurred in the manufacturing.

Robert Fear of folkmusician.com ballparked "within the last six months" before his posting date of 2/18/13 and "around summer 2012" in this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?92988-I-have-two-questions-about-buying-a-beginner-Kentucky-Mandolin.

stringerjon
Oct-08-2014, 8:44pm
Thank you! That was very helpful. It appears this is a newer km150. Maybe I will raise enough funds to buy straight from Robert just to support him for all his great help. :)

Does anyone know if elderly adresses the fret issues with these by setting and dressing them?

stringerjon
Oct-08-2014, 8:50pm

Here it is

jimj
Oct-08-2014, 9:15pm
I own a MK and Loar550 vs I like them both I had the Loar set up by a local Luther. I don't think you can go wrong with the Loar and I have no problem with MK. could someone tell me why the Mk gets such negative status??

stringerjon
Oct-08-2014, 10:04pm
I think the mk gets bad reviews mostly because of their inconsistency and quality control. That doesn't mean there aren't good ones out there. Its just not as "trusted" of a name as Kentucky has become. Mk's always seemed a bit generic to me. But that's just my opinion. I've played some really pretty ones and never thought they sounded all that good

Frank Russell
Oct-08-2014, 10:14pm
Back when I was buying and selling a bunch, I owned two MK mandolins. One was great, one sounded like it had been filled with cement. Same experience with Morgan Monroe, modern Kentucky, even Eastman (some great, some duds). Things may be better/more consistent now. I've been pretty impressed with my $335 eBay Loar 520. Best Asian mass-produced mandolin I've played in a long time, with no upgrades needed. Frank

pheffernan
Oct-09-2014, 5:18am
Does anyone know if elderly adresses the fret issues with these by setting and dressing them?

From Elderly's website: "and of course the mandolin has gone though our repair shop for inspection and setup to assure that the mandolin is ready to play. "

Link: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DEAL4.htm

stringerjon
Nov-05-2014, 9:56pm
Well, I finally got it! I picked up a km150 from someone locally for $185. They got it from eldrly as a starter kit. It came with a strap, bag, strings, picks and tuner. Thing looks brand new. Hardly played at all. I am so in love with the sound of this thing! I think mandolin is going to become a primary instrument for me. I am getting around on it well and am studying Chris thiles playing as he is my favorite player right now. I can't wait to learn how to get that irish/bluegrass sound. I have to learn what scales are commonly used that I hear so much. For now though I'm happy as can be.

Also, big ups for Rob mandrum and his generosity for providing mandolin setup material. Buy his ebook friends and support him. I got it just so I can tweak my setup if desired.

Thanks so much for your support and invaluable advice folks!!!! Let the fun begin.. :)

Jonathan