PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Strings

IanBowden
Sep-08-2014, 3:39pm
Hello!

As an octave mandolin, Irish bouzouki, and mandola player, I typically spend 99% of my time in the CBOM forum. However, a need for some advice has brought me over to your lovely corner of the Mandolin Café!

For a few years, I've possessed a Lark in the Morning tenor guitar (LTG100-N) that I've seldom played. The string/scale length is 25¼", give or take a bit, and I'm not sure where I obtained the strings that are currently on the instrument. Tuning them to GDAE (like my OM) they're so taught that I think it'll collapse! Set at CGDA - as I know they're supposed to - the strings are pretty sloppy and the C buzzes and jangles more than I think it should.

It's time for my yearly order from juststrings.com and I wondered if anyone here had any advice. The aforementioned has standard sets from D'Addario, John Pearse, and La Bella, but I don't know whether they're best for the scale length of my instrument, which would seem to be a bit longer than the typical 21-23". Maybe a custom set made up of singles? (The guitar uses standard ball-end strings.)

Cheers!

Seonachan
Sep-08-2014, 4:44pm
Sounds like you have strings meant for GDAE on a standard tenor scale (~23") - your LITM 25+" scale is unusually long. That would explain being taught at GDAE and floppy tuned down to CGDA. But the standard CGDA tenor guitar tuning is actually the CGDA above octave mando GDAE tuning. But you'll never get that on your long scale, which sits between tenor and plectrum guitar scale lengths.

Since what you have is basically a guitar scale length, go with gauges that match its tunings, e.g. for GDAE take an A string (perhaps heavier gauge than the rest) for the G, a D string for the D, a lighter G string for the A, and a regular E string for the E. Or start with a regular guitar string set and see what works and what needs tweaking.

Another option is to get the set specially made for Breedlove tenors, which have a 24+" scale and are tuned GDAE. Elderly sells them:
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/BTGS.htm
But they might be a little tight as well on an inch longer scale.

IanBowden
Sep-09-2014, 10:21am
and a regular E string for the E

I believe you meant to write "and a regular (low) E string for the C." Please forgive me if I've assumed incorrectly.

Thanks for the advice - which I consider mostly sound, except for that low string. I'm thinking, when loosened down from E to C (four semitones), that string is going to be quite slack. Considering the low E on most acoustic guitar string sets is .047" (ultra-light) to .056" (medium), and the A is .039" to .045", I'm surmising I'm going to need something around .047" or so for that low C on my long-necked tenor guitar.

Anyone else care to weigh in on this?

Seonachan
Sep-09-2014, 11:08am
No, I was giving advice for GDAE octave mandolin tuning, no C involved:

G = guitar A string
D = guitar D string
A = guitar G string
E = guitar high E string

The D and E are the same pitch as their guitar equivalents; the G and A are two semitones apart from their equivalents and thus might require going heavier and lighter respectively.

If you want CGDA tuning on a 25" scale, are you looking for mandola or mandocello range? Getting mandola (i.e. standard tenor guitar tuning) CGDA on that scale would require an especially thin string for the A - you could try .009 (as the La Bella set uses) but you might need .008. In other words, it might be possible but 23" is generally considered the longest practical scale for that tuning.

If you want cello tuning CGDA then you can use standard mandocello string gauges as a starting point. I've tried 4-string cello tuning on a regular guitar and found even a 56 gauge was a bit floppy for the low C, but others seem to manage with it.

fox
Sep-09-2014, 12:33pm
John Lawlor uses a long scale (25.5" I think) I cant remember what tuning he uses but it is on this forum somewhere?

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?90215-John-Lawlor-how-a-tenor-guitar-can-and-should-be-played

Seonachan
Sep-09-2014, 12:59pm
He tunes Bb-F-C-G, a full step down from standard.

FatBear
Sep-10-2014, 12:10pm
He tunes Bb-F-C-G, a full step down from standard.
That makes perfect sense. Two frets up would be CGDA at somewhere around 23". You could probably just use "standard" tenor guitar strings if they are long enough.

IanBowden
Sep-14-2014, 1:44pm
All good ideas! Thanks for the help.

Ian