PDA

View Full Version : Old Kay Mandolin

Sarahs814
Sep-08-2014, 1:59pm
This has been up in the attic for a long time. It was given to me by my grandmother a number of years ago. I believe it is from the 1940s or 1950s. I was hoping someone could tell me more about it and let me know what it is worth. I know nothing about Mandolins but was told this is the place to post to get the best, most accurate advice. Thanks in advance!123589123590123591123592

Kowboy
Sep-08-2014, 2:37pm
I am disappointed to hear that it has been in the attic for a long time as you have written. Attics usually spell sudden death to wooden instruments. They tend to come unglued. I know of a fellow who put his mothers violin in the attic and it did not last but a few years there. It does look to have resisted it's most recent living conditions. I hope that you will not be disappointed by it's monetary value. I have my grandfathers violin which is well worn and do not care of it's dollar value only value that I come from a family who loves playing stringed instruments.

Bill Snyder
Sep-08-2014, 2:49pm
Kays are notorious for having neck joints slip even when they are not subjected to overly harsh conditions such as an attic might present. IF the neck joint is solid and the neck is in good shape you might expect something between $100-$200 for this mandolin. If the neck needs to be re-set then you will be lucky to get $75.

Sarahs814
Sep-08-2014, 3:06pm
I guess I am more curious about the history of this and how old it is, etc. more so than the value for selling purposes. It still sounds pretty great and is in excellent condition. We will likely be keeping it. I just would like to know more about it. Value more out of curiosity.

bart mcneil
Sep-09-2014, 6:00am
It is a player. Enjoy it for what it is but they are very common and are not valuable. But yours appears to be in great shape.

Bill Snyder
Sep-09-2014, 7:40am
Your guess of age is probably close. My guess would be 1950's.
As for the history, Kay was the later incarnation of the Stromberg-Voisinet company. HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kay_Musical_Instrument_Company) is the Wikipedia entry for Kay.
Your mandolin is a clean, but typical example of a mid-century, USA built factory instrument. There are many of them still around and it is what a lot of players would have learned on 50+ years ago.