PDA

View Full Version : Harp Tenor Guitar

kwerry
Sep-05-2014, 4:08pm
So I've seen harp guitars, Harp mandolins and Harp Ukes But I have not seen a harp Tenor guitar. Maybe I need to look harder..

But regardless I was thinking of making one. Tuning on the sub bass strings would be CDEF and the fretted strings tuned GDAE as an Octave Mando. So sort of the effect of a 5 string tenor..

I've got a regular Tenor Guitar and a Uke to build first but I'm sort of starting to flesh out how I would build this...

Does the population here think it would be an interesting instrument?

Kerry

Mike Black
Sep-05-2014, 4:17pm
I say do it! Sounds cool.

delsbrother
Sep-06-2014, 2:45pm
Canadian luthier Michael Dunn has made one - right in your hometown!

http://www.harpguitars.net/history/month_hg/month-hg-ukes.htm

(Scroll down about mid-page)

Michael is a Knutsen enthusiast - he's definitely made a bunch of harp instruments. If you know him, and considering your location, might want to pick his brain.

kwerry
Sep-06-2014, 8:31pm
I have met Michael, but only briefly, I know he has done a lot of harp instruments, but mostly guitars or Ukes I believe.. I see he has a harp tenor guitar on the page with 2 sub base strings..

Kerry

PT66
Oct-05-2023, 7:09am
I just finished my tenor harp guitar with octave mandolin tuning on the fretted strings.

Denko
Oct-05-2023, 12:19pm
Bravo Dave - well done. It is a work of beauty. I hope it gives you musically, what you were after. Congratulations.

PT66
Oct-05-2023, 1:43pm
Bravo Dave - well done. It is a work of beauty. I hope it gives you musically, what you were after. Congratulations.

Thanks, it will take me awhile to figure out how to play it.

fox
Oct-05-2023, 1:43pm
Crazy! Well done…