PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever tried this ... convert a Calton?

RustyPickup
Sep-05-2014, 1:44am
Hi Everyone,
This is probably a dumb question, and I am probably the dummy to ask it. But has anyone ever tried to make a Calton case for an A-style mandolin into a case for an f-style mandolin? I didn't see anything on this before in the Forum, but maybe I just missed it. Or maybe no one would even think of doing it. Anyway, it seems that A's can go into f-cases pretty well, but not so easily the other way around. Is it hard to cut and trim that padding, like to make a space for the scroll? The Cafe is the fountain of all knowledge and wisdom, and I thought I would ask here before I pick up my box cutter and get creative ...

Ray(T)
Sep-05-2014, 3:20am
Assuming its a real Calton, the shells for the A and F have always been identical so it should simply be a case (no pun intended) of modifying the innards. Whether you'd want to do this rather than buying a diffent case is largely up to you.

Hendrik Ahrend
Sep-05-2014, 4:23pm
Rusty, don't worry, questions are never dumm, answers may be. Here are my 2 cents to your question: 21 years ago, I actually converted a Calton case, which was originally made for a Bob Reed reso-guitar, into a Dreadnought case without any problems; same Jumbo-shell. I'm talking "original" UK Calton here. At other times, I upgraded a mando case and a fiddle/mando combo by adding pads (and crushed velvet), or I repaired a case with a new strip of sealing profile. In all cases, Keith Calton was very friendly and helpful in providing me with any material I needed. I'd be surprised, if the new Calton/Austin/USA owner, Jon Green, had a different idea of the business.
The problem with Calton F-style mando cases, especially the Calgary and the early UK version, used to be that the head stock scroll wasn't well protected, the mandolin not well supported and kept from back lash, the scroll bumping into the hinge rivets, which resultes into many knocked-off scrolls. Lots of talk about this in the cafe. So you might even come up with a better than original solution.
The Austin cases might have improved, though.

Capt. E
Sep-05-2014, 4:46pm
Living in Austin, as I do, might make it easier. You could always move here (though I wouldn't recommend it as the place is getting too crowded in my humble opinion).

dang
Sep-06-2014, 1:44am
I have not seen too many Calton's with the A style insides... You may be able to find someone who has an F-style case in similar condition and trade with them???

I would offer to trade but you don't want my beat-up old Calton that is covered in stickers :mandosmiley:

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-06-2014, 2:44am
Personally,i'd sell the Calton "A" style case & buy a proper Calton "F" style case - if you definitely want a Calton case that is. I think that unless you're very competent that you could make a real mess of things - no disrespect intended,but things can go wrong.Not least in using an adhesive that might effect the mandolin's finish.
There are so many really good "F" style cases available in the US,far more so than in the UK. I recently bought a Gator "F" style case for my Weber & it's a perfect fit. The case is moulded ABS similar tothe Hiscox cases & has plenty of room for spare strings etc. One Cafe member who owns both a Calton case & a Gator case,told me that in his opinion,the Gator is very nearly as good as the Calton but at a much lower cost,
Ivan;)123511