PDA

View Full Version : TablEdit user forum

mad dawg
Dec-28-2003, 1:05pm
I am creating this discussion for my own selfish reasons, but I thought we could use a thread in which to post our TablEdit questions and tips for the benefit of all TablEdit users here at MC. (Unless there are already TablEdit user forum web-sites that you know of.)

To start things off, I can't for the life of me figure out how to do the following:

1. change the default module so that something other than Guitar pops up when opening up new tunes (I can save tunes with mandolin as the default module, but I would like to import ABC files into TablEdit with mandolin as the default module to save a few steps)

2A. permanently add a new module for a 5 course mandolin (CGDAE)

2B. make my new 5 course mandolin module an available choice when creating new tab

ShaneJ
Dec-29-2003, 12:50am
sorry, mad dawg, I can't help with those, but I think this is a great thread. It could just about make a "Main Page Forum".

One thing that I have found helpful, especially since I havn't had the time to find anyone to pick with, is this:

I've found a few websites that have MIDI files with songs that I'd like to play. Most are pretty bad, but if you spend a few minutes looking (& listening), you can find some that are done by people with actual talent. The best ones are songs that were recorded by MIDI guitar or keyboard in realtime actual playing rather than typing in notation or tab in perfect eighth notes. Other than the "MIDI" sound, the rhythm and feel of a song done this way is much better to practice with.

One site that has some pretty good ones is Dick Anderson's (http://www.dickanderson.net/pages/gospel_and_christmas.htm) site. His is guitar tab, but TablEdit can easily convert it to mandolin. He goes a little overboard with the accompanyment sometimes, but you can "deselect" or even delete instruments. You'll occasionally find a "wrong" note here and there, or just one you don't like, but you can easily edit those. Makes it more fun to play along with than the mechanical-sounding versions that are more common.

Thanks for the thread! I'm looking forward to reading and learning now.

Mike Beatty
Dec-31-2003, 10:35am
This is a good idea for a topic. Since you brought it up, how do you convert a file that was created for Acoustic guitar into a mandolin file. I've tried changing teh module and tuning with a couple of Django tabs and it changes the standard notation to something completely different.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Mike B.

mad dawg
Dec-31-2003, 11:23am
I've tried changing teh module and tuning with a couple of Django tabs and it changes the standard notation to something completely different.
I have learned this (let's see if I can do it from memory while sitting here at work):
1. change the "Impact" function on the second tab of the "Score" menu to "Fingering" (else, the files you import may experience altered notation; in Fingering Impact mode, TablEdit will alter fingering in order to maintain the original notation)
2. then, change your instrument and number of strings on the first tab
3. then push "apply"
4. now if you save your TablEdit file as a new file, it will save it with mandolin tab and notation

Does this help?

wckybob
Dec-31-2003, 12:38pm
Is it possible to slow down a tune that you download from "Tefveiw?" I miss the tune when it picks too fast. I am still learning the # and I am just too slow or doing it wrong.

Dolamon
Jan-01-2004, 1:18pm
To convert a Guitar Tab file to Mando or Pennywhistle or ...

Download the new file as a Guitar tab ... open the "M" tab in the lower right corner of the MAIN screen to have both the tab and actual notation on the screen. (Toggle through this til you get it right - there are three options here.)On my computer this is a little tiny "M" on the bottom just inside the vertical scroll bar.

Open the "Score" menu tab (on the top menu bar) / open "Instrument" ...

Click Add Module / go to Instrument choice - Choose Mandolin or ...
hit "Apply", the close this screen.

You should have two sets of lines which have Guitar and Mandolin labled on the left hand side, above the notation line.

If not, correct it so you have two sets of notation and tab lines. Put your cursor on the NOTATION from the guitar music. Select all with Control A, Control C to copy then -move your cursor to the NOTATION on the Mandolin NOTES lines.

Control V should but the notation and the Tab in.

Verify that you started on the First Bar and all the notes (or almost all the notes) are in the Mandolin notation.

You can adjust the speed of playing by moving to the "Play" menu and then to the midi options (on the bottom) or hit Control K. You can adjust the speed of playing, the syncopation and chorus and reverb here.

When you want to print this - go to Print Preview - then Print Selection and choose either Notation or Tab for the instrument you wish.

I know most of this doesn't work in TEF View so you are kind of stuck with what it does automatically - til you make the big plunge.

Enjoy - (I hope I got this right.)

Mike Beatty
Jan-01-2004, 4:44pm
Thanks for all of the tips. I'm testing them out right now. I have to say though that the best tip I got was re: the little M button on teh bottom right hand side. I've been switching between notation and tablature by using the print options. Very frustrating and I wonderd why theere wasn't a button that would allow me to toggle. There was one the whole time.

Thanks
MIke B.

Mike Beatty
Jan-01-2004, 4:50pm
Dolamon
When I do the cut & paste, it doesn't put the notes in teh right place.

Dolamon
Jan-01-2004, 7:46pm
Mike - Make sure after you select all (Control A) to do it in the first measure. Then paste it into the first measure of the new - and totally empty notation section ...

Sometimes there's a trial and error thing which happens with TablEdit which (I've been told) is part of its charm. Also - which version have you been using? This is up in the Help file or - when you first start the program. Michelle and the crew have been updating it almost bi monthly for the past six or seven months. Lots of little twists and new oddities in each iteration. It is a good program but the learning curve is ferocious.

Dolamon
Jan-02-2004, 7:24am
Mad Dawg - I just read over your initial post on this and ... a couple observations:

1/ Which version of TEdit are you using?

2/ In the later versions of T/E when you start a "New" file, a drop down menu appears with a series of choices of instrument. For some unkown reason, mine always opens up with Mandolin - then I add Tenor banjo (for CGDa Mandola) and occasionally a Bass. #

3/ Before this menu was available, I made a separate default file with a CGDa instrument in it - then would open that file and do a "Save As" which didn't corrupt the original template.

4/ There seem to be at least two modules in the 16 instrument choices which have five strings (banjo and a Bass). You can open either of these and then modify in the tuning section to get it to work for your unique instrument. (Go to "Score", "Instrument", "Tuning", to modify a module or - to add a new one.)

There are a lot of little tricks and quirks in this program - It often surprises me with some of the newer ones which are added - and not documented. I'd go to the Member page of TEdit and take a look at the new version changes and see if what you're looking for is explained there. The updated help files - occasionally - will come to the rescue.

Mike Beatty
Jan-02-2004, 11:17am
[QUOTE]Also - which version have you been using?

I'm pretty obsessive about keeping up with the updates so I've got teh latest version. I think the problem may have something to do with the guitar notation having the 8va symbol on it. I think TablEdit is dropping the mando down an octave. I really wish teh standard notation in a tef file was independent of any tablature.

Thanks for all the help.

VKochetta
Jan-02-2004, 1:32pm
Although Tabledit has a board on its secured side, it doesn't seem to be as well travelled by mandolin players as is the Cafe'.

I'd like to see some compilation of undocumented (or poorly documented) features.

--- Vinny Kochetta

Mike Beatty
Jan-02-2004, 2:06pm
Although Tabledit has a board on its secured side, it doesn't seem to be as well travelled by mandolin players as is the Cafe'.

I'd like to see some compilation of undocumented (or poorly documented) features.

# # # --- Vinny Kochetta
The board doesn't seem to well travelled or even just travelled by anyone. My post from Dec 6th was the most recent post when I checked the other day.

Maybe we should compile a list of our favorite tips and as you said undocumented features.

Dolamon
Jan-02-2004, 5:54pm
Mikel - I think ('cause I don't use this - normally) you can get rid of the 8va by going to the File menu / scroll to Options then open Preferences on the top left / left hand side.

On the bottom of that screen is the 8va choice. I think there's another place to do this but ... it beats me where that is.

If anyone can help this poor pilgrim in converting Midi's to notation ... I am totally lost. I get the strangest looking notation I've ever seen - but it sounds right. Not playable on anything I've held in my hands but - oddities abound.

mad dawg
Feb-12-2004, 5:04pm
Maybe we should compile a list of our favorite tips and as you said undocumented features.
Great idea Mike. Since I started this thread (and have been truant in maintaining the thread http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif), I will be glad to volunteer to capture everyone's tips in MSWord or RTF format for sharing with Tab|Edit users in the MC community.

Please keep those tips, questions and responses coming in, folks!

Don Grieser
Feb-12-2004, 5:12pm
There's been lots of tips and help given to TablEdit on CoMando. If you did a search of the CoMando archives, you might find a lot help there. I've given up creating files in TE; I can't make it print the way I want so I've switched to Finale for writing down music.

mad dawg
Feb-12-2004, 8:15pm
Here is the Co-Mando page with links to the tips that Don referenced above:
http://www.co-mando.com/music/index.php