PDA

View Full Version : Maurer bowl back

David Houchens
Sep-04-2014, 5:45pm
A friend just called to see about his late fathers old mandolin. He found one on ebay and said its the same. I haven't seen it, but one of the things he wants done is to clean it. I was wondering if anyone knows what finish it would have. I would think laquer or a varnish. here is the link - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ca1915-Vintage-Larson-Brothers-Mother-of-Pearl-Inlaid-Maurer-Bowlback-Mandolin-/350969789335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51b76dfb97 Thanks

sunburst
Sep-04-2014, 9:42pm
I don't know with certainty (which, when you think about it means; I don't know), but everything I've read about Larson instruments indicates shellac or spirit varnish. Every one I've seen (that hasn't been refinished, like mine has) looks like shellac or spirit varnish too, so I would assume you're looking at a shellac based finish.

pfox14
Sep-05-2014, 6:13am
I wasn't aware of any bowl back mandolins built by the Larson Bros. as Maurer or any other brand. I was under the impression that they only made flat-back mandolins. If it is a 1915 instrument, then I would guess it's varnish and not lacquer.

allenhopkins
Sep-05-2014, 12:26pm
Hartman's book (Guitars and Mandolins In America, Featuring the Larsons' Creations, Maurer & Co., Hoffman Estates IL, 1984 and revised), includes several Stahl bowl-backs attributed to the Larsons. All the Maurer mandolins shown are flat-back, but Hartman seems pretty clear that the Larsons built bowl-backs for some labels.

Jim Garber
Sep-05-2014, 7:40pm
I have 11 examples of Maurer bowlbacks in my jpeg files plus my own Maurer with a store label but with the inside neck brand.

barney 59
Sep-06-2014, 1:04pm
The Larson's began working for Mauer and ended up owning the company but before the Larson's there was Mauer and they were producing and some believe importing(mandolins particularly) instruments before the Larson Bros. came onto the scene. So very early Mauer instruments would have no possible Larson connection. Bowl back Mauer mandolins are often a little suspect when there is a Larson claim.
Jim, I think in an earlier thread it was discussed how your mandolin has a black edge of the fret board visible below the binding. That would be enough to convince me that it is Larson made. That was a common thing that they did on many of their instruments,unfortunately they didn't do it always....I have never seen an instrument from that period with that detail that wasn't attributed to the Larson's. Others have done it since--Givens liked that detail for example.

allenhopkins
Sep-06-2014, 11:42pm
OK, let's settle in on the OP's question. He's not asking about the Larson-or-not mandolin on eBay, he's asking about a mandolin owned by his "friend's late father," that reportedly looks like the eBay mandolin. What "looks like" means isn't clear -- identical, the same general appearance, whatever…

So: what we need to respond (more) intelligently, is more information about the actual mandolin in question. Is there a label, can we determine who made it, can we get pictures? Discussing whether the Larsons made bowl-back mandolins labeled "Maurer" is interesting, but not really getting to the point of the inquiry.

David Houchens
Sep-07-2014, 7:07pm
He hasn't brought it by yet but I will post pictures when I get it. All he told me was it was identical in looks to the one on ebay. Thanks to all for the info on these instruments.